Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby Mikovio » May 19th, 2017, 7:04 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Liberty is a nonprofit tele-evangelical school founded by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson and reliably funded by old ladies' Social Security checks that might erstwhile have gone to Oral Roberts. Different beast altogether.

Actually, I believe the source of Liberty's cash is the genius decision a long time ago to get heavily into online courses, and a $29,000,000 life insurance policy on Jerry Falwell that paid off every red cent of the school's debt. Say what you want about the school's religious viewpoint, but it might be the best managed non-P5 school in America.

Maybe they're onto something lol. But even if that's true they have incurred hundreds of millions in debt since Falwell's death. Bonds that were probably bought by said old ladies and savvy investors who see the religious devotion as guaranteeing a steady stream of students and giving...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_U ... y#Finances
In December 2010, Liberty sold $120 million in facilities bonds, with the proceeds to be used to finance future expansion.[145] An additional $100 million in taxable bonds were sold in January 2012, with the proceeds used to help finance $225.2 million of planned capital projects around the campus over the next five years.[146]
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 19th, 2017, 7:09 pm

They have an endowment of 1.1 billion and steady source of online income. They're fine. They're sitting on a goldmine. Hell they just paid a mid major fbs football program 1.32 million to come to their opening of their new fcs stadium. They will be jumping to FBS themselves the following season, however. For comparison, that's like us paying duke 1.32 million to come to Redbird arena.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » May 19th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Mikovio wrote:Liberty is a nonprofit tele-evangelical school founded by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson and reliably funded by old ladies' Social Security checks that might erstwhile have gone to Oral Roberts. Different beast altogether.

Jerry Falwell founded Liberty University. Pat Robertson founded Regent University, about 200 miles away from Liberty and a different school altogether.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Germans? Pearl Harbor? You're on a roll.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » May 26th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Article from Wichita paper about Valpo joining MVC

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/shockwaves/article152568949.html

Comments from Doug Elgin make it sound like 12 team league soon.

“We looked at even numbers, and I really thought that it had to be an even number because when you talk about odd numbers you really create some issues with your scheduling structure,” Elgin said in the release. “You look at, in men’s basketball for instance, when you have 11 teams, 10 of those teams will be playing in five games and every scheduling window, whether it’s a mid-week Tuesday-Wednesday sequence or a Saturday-Sunday sequence every one of those windows throughout the season would have one team being idle.”Twelve teams is on the table and the MVC seems leaning that way, according to Elgin’s comments. (No. 11 seems obvious with Murray State interested and a match geographically. No. 12 seems more of a mystery, especially if Belmont (Nashville) is not interested.)“The Presidents Council is leaving the door open for that, and they are encouraging that, actually,” Elgin said. “And I think over the next year or so, I think we’ll continue to study expansion with the possibility that we might eventually within, I think, in the next 12 or 24 months go to a 12-team model.”

That makes me think Murray State will be team 11, and the reason they weren't added now was because a good candidate for the 12th spot wasn't found at this time.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RacerJoeD » May 26th, 2017, 5:46 pm

WOULD A LEGITIMATE 12th TEAM PLEASE COME FORWARD?!? Lol
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 26th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that 11 and 12 are going to be great adds. Murray and a surprise #12 will reshape the Valley. SLU? Dayton? Ok, that might be a stretch, but this is gonna end well. I just feel it in my bones. And that's unusual when I'm talking about MVC leadership...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RacerJoeD » May 26th, 2017, 9:40 pm

I'd be happy as long as Murray is #11, frankly #12 doesn't matter to me. It's 1-10 that I want my Racers competing against.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 26th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Well, you just explained why Valpo was chosen over Murray. Good job.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 27th, 2017, 12:01 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Well, you just explained why Valpo was chosen over Murray. Good job.

:huh: :roll:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 27th, 2017, 6:39 am

Would be great to have Murray State and Belmont next year.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball