Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby ValpoTX » May 9th, 2017, 12:54 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Yep. This is all on the elite private school presidents.

Come on.

The Valley just added the best basketball option out there. I guess I don't understand the angst. I'm not too concerned with JV football driving decisions of the MVC.

I am not as convinced they added the best basketball option even of the 4 that had visits.

We look forward to proving you otherwise ;)
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 1:04 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Yep. This is all on the elite private school presidents.

Come on.

The Valley just added the best basketball option out there. I guess I don't understand the angst. I'm not too concerned with JV football driving decisions of the MVC.

I am not as convinced they added the best basketball option even of the 4 that had visits.

Over the last five years Valpo has been the best. Of course that doesn't mean they will be moving forward.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoes42 » May 9th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I haven't seen this posted here:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/missouri-valley-presidents-vote-for-valpo-to-replace-wichita-state-stay-at-10-teams/?irgwc=1&clickid=Vr5R0lUBYwGfwiTVpiTB4REFUkhRsJQTESvkxg0
Sources also told CBS Sports that the Missouri Valley intends to remain at 10 teams for the forseeable future. Most coaches and athletic directors within the league prefer the 10-team format and schedule.

"No one wanted to go to 12," a source said.

One source said the majority of league presidents were in favor of Valpo, but two league presidents stumped hard for Murray State. The league's official stance is that the vote to add Valpo was unanimous.

That certainly doesn't make it sound like this is just "phase 1" of expansion.
shoes42
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby IllinoisState » May 9th, 2017, 1:59 pm

There's now talk of NMSU going to the Horizon. I wish we could get NMSU back to the Valley. That would be good for us.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 9th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Add Murray State and Western Kentucky after this upcoming season to give twelve.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Make MVC Great Again wrote:Add Murray State and Western Kentucky after this upcoming season to give twelve.

Well, wku plays FBS football so that's not happening.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 11th, 2017, 8:22 am

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... 6T1LRsy3Q0

Due to Elgin saying that they will look at teams not considered this time as long as they have a travel partner.

Murray/Belmont
Grand Canyon/NMSU
NDSU/SDSU
Murray/NKU
Murray pairs with established conference member and Missouri St. pairs with Oral Roberts or St. Louis. I think its safe to say SEMO is now out. Milwaukee had their own APR issues. Omaha's money is multi-millions in the red due to their new, but nice, stadium.

I think it comes down to Murray, NKU, Belmont (not high on my personal list), St. Louis, Oral Roberts (probably not), NDSU, SDSU, NMSU (less of a chance than Oral Roberts due to distance), Grand Canyon (even less of a chance due to being for-profit).

Crazy idea if St. Louis and Dayton go Big East. VCU and Richmond pair together as travel partners. Doubt it would happen due to distance but once Dayton leaves the A-10 VCU is the only top school left and they'll want to get out due to the conference being weakened. Richmond and Rhode Island are decent programs but they're really in the same boat as UNI and ISUr. Pipe dreaming.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rogers101 » May 11th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Cliff Smart, MSU's president, was on our local sports talk radio show Tuesday and said he would be pushing for 2 more teams, if they bring quality to the league. He went as far to say that he would be disappointed if the Valley stays at 10 teams at the end of next year.

I don't have a problem slow playing this for the next 2 teams. I think Murray State is the obvious 11 but I would like to see more progress from other potential teams to fill #12.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 11th, 2017, 12:34 pm

So, what is the master plan for this conference? Different quotes saying different things.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » May 11th, 2017, 12:42 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:So, what is the master plan for this conference? Different quotes saying different things.

Deception and misdirection
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball