Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2017, 11:52 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:At this point, you're spending far too much time on a website that has nothing to do with your team. And, we are still a far greater conference than the Summit.

Name 3 ways in which MVC basketball is now significantly more nationally relevant than Summit basketball.

1. WATCHESPN partnership, along with games on ESPN channels and Fox Sports stations (regional broadcasts)
2. Success in the tournament with UNI - who is still a member of the MVC
3. Teams who are in consideration for at large berths being discussed nationally during selection Sunday (ISUr) Summit has and never will have this the way they are now.

Now go away dizzle

1. Negotiated with WSU still in the league. The regional broadcasts were with both WSU and Creighton in the league. This will be an interesting one to watch. I'm gussing the ESPN3 content remains, as most everything is on there these days.
2. Agree completely.
3. Without WSU, ISUr is not in consideration for an at-large berth. This one is another wait-and-see. I also think it's interesting that some people think ISUr was actually in consideration. Even in the last few years in the Valley, if you were a MVC team and you weren't a Lock when the MVC tourney ended, you weren't getting in.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » June 8th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:1. WATCHESPN partnership, along with games on ESPN channels and Fox Sports stations (regional broadcasts)

1. Negotiated with WSU still in the league. The regional broadcasts were with both WSU and Creighton in the league. This will be an interesting one to watch. I'm gussing the ESPN3 content remains, as most everything is on there these days.

It will be interesting to see how much the Valley is on ESPN in future years. ESPN is clearly trying to slash costs and Valley broadcasts only cost them their own production costs. How low will other conferences be willing to go to stay on ESPN?
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 1:34 pm

If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.

Media contracts are going to be interesting to watch for all leagues over the next decade. Cord-cutting has changed the calculus.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.

Media contracts are going to be interesting to watch for all leagues over the next decade. Cord-cutting has changed the calculus.

I have cut the cord. Firestick. Watch Redbirds on the ESPN app on the firestick. Pay 35 a month for PlayStation Vue (a lot better than the 120 for Comcast) so I can get my cubs games. And Vue has pretty much everything except CBS sports. CBS sports is the lone holdout
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » June 8th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Seeing the games isnt much of a problem any more, especially with the prevalence of various options. Firestick, Vue, etc. However, the money that conferences get (ANY conference) the next time the media contracts are negotiated will likely be significantly less than the current setups. The days of lucrative TV deals appear to be waning.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:37 pm

If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 8th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.

Which are just as bad - or worse - than cable companies when it comes to rates, customer service, monopolies, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » June 8th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.

These sorts of things do not help the Valley (or any conference, but especially those outside the P5) as far as monetary gains with media deals.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:54 pm

uniftw wrote:

Which are just as bad - or worse - than cable companies when it comes to rates, customer service, monopolies, etc...

That's why they haven't gone obsolete already is because hotspots are expensive to use as your number 1 option. Cable and DSL will be gone eventually though for waves.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball