Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 11th, 2017, 12:48 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:So, what is the master plan for this conference? Different quotes saying different things.

I think 12. that article was one man's opinion that the MVC should stay at 10. The guy quoted Elgin saying that they are going to keep searching. the head of the committee is really pushing for 12. I imagine 12 by this time next year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bjhracer » May 11th, 2017, 1:38 pm

This is my take, the quote stating that no one wanted 12 was for this season alone. Because of the scheduling conflicts it would create. Finding 3 or 4 games for the 3 or MVC OOC games Murray has this season isn't easy to do. Also football scheduling is nearly finished for the fall season. I do believe at that point they were looking at staying at 10 this season with the intention of moving to 12 next year. I also believe Murray had at least 2 schools pushing to become the 10th member.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Svoboda » May 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm

The Valley is holding out hope for Saint Louis. I mentioned this in another thread last week but I've now heard the rumor from 4-5 different people that the Valley and SLU have talked.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rambler63 » May 12th, 2017, 2:39 am

It would be nice to get St. Louis in the league. The closest conference team to St. Louis in the A-10 is 359 miles away (Dayton), and the 2nd closest is 602 miles (Duquesne). Plus, they're paying New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC hotel prices on 1700-mile round trips. If the Billikens were in the MVC, their FURTHEST trip would be Des Moines (347 miles), and they'd have five opponents within 170 miles (Bradley, ISUr, ISUb, Evansville, SIU). It might not be a big deal for men's basketball, but it's got to add up in time and money for the non-revenue sports.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby municup14 » May 12th, 2017, 4:51 am

I believe Valpo will be a force from the get go.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Herd » May 14th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Red wrote:Let Murray State get their football in order and then we add the Racers and another to get to 12.

Get their football in order? Losing records, low fan support, minimal financial commitment . . . Isn't that what the MVC covets? Seems like a perfect marriage, nothing g additional needed.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 14th, 2017, 6:27 pm

municup14 wrote:I believe Valpo will be a force from the get go.

With having to adjust the a new league and without their best player in don't foresee anything higher than a seventh place finish.

Missouri State - should win based on talent but Lusk isn't the best coach.
Southern Illinois - underrated and ready to take the next step.
Illinois State
Loyola
Northern Iowa
Bradley
Valparaiso
Evansville
Drake
Indiana State

No clear cut winner.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 14th, 2017, 7:12 pm

1. Loyola

2. UNI

3. Illinois State

4. Valpo

5. Tie Missouri State - Drake - Southern Illinois - Evansville - Indiana State - Bradley
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » May 16th, 2017, 10:07 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:1. Loyola

2. UNI

3. Illinois State

4. Valpo

5. Tie Missouri State - Drake - Southern Illinois - Evansville - Indiana State - Bradley

Really too early to make any meaningful predictions, but I do believe that MO. St. will finish higher than 5th. JMO
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VU2014 » May 16th, 2017, 10:52 am

Svoboda wrote:The Valley is holding out hope for Saint Louis. I mentioned this in another thread last week but I've now heard the rumor from 4-5 different people that the Valley and SLU have talked.

SLU would be a perfect addition to the Valley in the future but the problem is they probably aren't interested. It's no secret that they want into the Big East badly but nobody know if they'll expand in the future, maybe. It would be assumed that Dayton and SLU would be on the short-list for the Big East. SLU hasn't been very good since the Rick Majerus days, but Valley would still be thrilled to have them.

The absolute Grand-Slam additions (absolute pipe-dream/not happening) would be SLU and Dayton as the #11 & #12. Would cut down on travel for both teams and would increase the competitiveness of the league. But not going to happen.

More realistic adds are Belmont and Murray State. Belmont's Pres/AD seems content in the OVC and wants to be the "Top Dog" in that league. If they joined the MVC they'd have a chance to help build a multi-bid league, while also being a league with still relatively low travel (would be a tick up from the OVC).
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball