Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » May 12th, 2017, 9:26 am

The list that keeps floating around about spending, and Mark Adams (@enthusiadams) twitter account today put out the information again.

Bradley is now #1 in MVC spending at $3,128,419
Evansville would now be #3 at $2,899,667

Resources are there for privates. But unfortunately spending a lot and spending wisely don't go hand in hand.

Failing to even make an NIT bid from 2012-16 at Evansville is completely inexcusable, IMO.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » May 12th, 2017, 9:29 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Drakey wrote:I know the point has been made, but no sport matters other than basketball in this conference. For the long term, despite the comments of the state school fans, I like the chances of success of the privates in Basketball.

I like Bradley's ability to be good.

We have deacades of proof that Drake, UE and Loyola aren't a higher % of being anything better than "meh" in their best years.

It is interesting how different fans view the Valley teams. For the last several years it seemed to me if someone was going to beat Wichita it would be Evansville, and sometimes they did.
At the tournament a couple years a go when Wichita still had Baker and VanVleet, Loyola had them on the ropes and the game came down to a few plays at the end, one of the more memorable tourney games in a while. It seems almost any team loses players to transfer whether being "drafted" by a power 5 school or moving on of their own desire, which is going to and has made an impact on mid-major teams.
I sure don't see any existing Valley team being more "meh" than any other.

Really? Cause since Ron Baker started playing MVC games, WSU went 34-0 against the private schools with an average MoV of 19.

UNI and ISUr were very clearly the only teams challenging WSU the last several seasons, going 6-14 (all 6 of WSU losses to league teams in that period) with a margin just under 10.
Last edited by Cdizzle on May 12th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 12th, 2017, 9:34 am

If I were in charge I would implement scheduling mandates. No more playing D2 schools. No more scheduling 200+ non-conference teams. ISUr had trouble getting buy games this season because they were viewed as too risky. I don't care if you have to schedule buy games without payment. Do what you have to to get to where you need to be. Hell, pay them for all I care, not that they need the money so maybe that wouldn't work but do whatever it takes. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Fake it until you make it. If you act like a little brother, stepping stone program you will be exactly that. I would also like the MVC to get another conference like the WCC or A-10 to pair with like they do with the MWC. All the coaches complain about scheduling. Maybe outsource scheduling to someone who can get things done. Also, get fans in the seats. Lower prices until you can have current prices with 80% capacity. ISUr was 27-6 last season and drew under 6,000 in a 10,200 seat venue. And, I'm pretty sure not that many actually in attendance. Either way, that's less than 60% capacity. And, it's not just ISUr. Attendance is a problem league wide except maybe at UNI (?). I don't care if you have to give away tickets in the meantime. Like I said, fake it until you make it. Get people interested. That brings in more money and better recruits. Players want to play to capacity crowds not in a half empty arena where you can hear the players whisper from the upper bowl. Better recruits equal better play and more wins, which also equals more money. Becoming a top 8 conference that annually receives two or three bids is possible again but it will take drastic measures. No more of the status quo. Elgin has been in the MVC for 30 years. Maybe that's too long and he's become complacent. Maybe replace him with someone who has a vision. And, yes, I realize all of this means the schools lose money in the meantime but I don't care. Losing a few million for long term benefits is okay. If the school is that tight that it can't bleed a bit for a few years then they have bigger issues than just the MVC. Shutter your doors if its at that point.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 9:38 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Drakey wrote:I know the point has been made, but no sport matters other than basketball in this conference. For the long term, despite the comments of the state school fans, I like the chances of success of the privates in Basketball.

I like Bradley's ability to be good.

We have deacades of proof that Drake, UE and Loyola aren't a higher % of being anything better than "meh" in their best years.

It is interesting how different fans view the Valley teams. For the last several years it seemed to me if someone was going to beat Wichita it would be Evansville, and sometimes they did.

What sport are you referencing here musiccitybulldog? Clearly it's not MVC Men's Basketball. Or you just did zero research and just typed something for fun.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Is there any scenario where Loyola gets an at large?

#48 KenPom ahead of schools like Syracuse, Nebraska, Kansas St.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » February 26th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Red wrote:Is there any scenario where Loyola gets an at large?

If not, then it will be only under the rarest of circumstances that we can ever expect to get an at large. If treated like the big boys, then 3 of Loyola's losses will not be considered because of injury. They have separated themselves from any other MVC team and are clearly the top team this year in a top 9 conference.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » February 26th, 2018, 1:38 pm

I would say no way, but it is possible the Committee will be looking to save some face after snubbing ILST last year. The whole, "See! We put mid majors in!" I'll put their at-large hopes around 5%. Latest Joey Brackets has them in as a 12 with the auto bid. If they were to be an at-large my guess is they would be a 10 (with the auto bid) which would put them at a play-in 12 seed without it.

This is my first time seeing this thread and remembering back to the start of the season. Every coach said the same thing when asked about how to replace Wichita State. They said it would be a collective effort and no one team could be that team. The whole league needed to get better, and surely, that is what happened. The MVC is the No.8 conference in the country, behind the P6 schools and the American. The MVC is above the MWC, and A10.

The Big 12, Big East, SEC, and the MVC are the only conferences with every team with an RPI of 180 or better.

Though at times it may have seemed like the conference was having a down year, I believe it was a bunch of teams who were better than last year beating up on each other.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » February 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:

If treated like the big boys, then 3 of Loyola's losses will not be considered because of injury.

Unfortunately, if you are a P6, then they do not care about this. The committee is always looking for a way to keep Valley-like schools out. Remember a few years back, the focus was "RPI" and non-con sos. Teams began to adapt to that and then the committee changed what they were looking for. Now it is "top 50 games" not necessarily top 50 wins, just games against them. A team 3-8 against the top 50 has more of a change vs a team 2-0 vs top 50. Now this year, they are looking at this quadrant crap, that I do not fully understand, but I know it is skewed in favor of the P6.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » February 26th, 2018, 2:32 pm

In recent years, there has started to be a losses don't matter mindset, so I'm not sure it really matters if you ignore those losses or not. Loyola's big problem is going to be only having 1 Quadrant 1 and 2 Quadrant 2 wins, and no chance to pick up any more at Arch Madness.

The quadrants don't actually change things that much from the Top 50 of prior years.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 26th, 2018, 3:07 pm

LanceShock wrote:In recent years, there has started to be a losses don't matter mindset, so I'm not sure it really matters if you ignore those losses or not. Loyola's big problem is going to be only having 1 Quadrant 1 and 2 Quadrant 2 wins, and no chance to pick up any more at Arch Madness.

The quadrants don't actually change things that much from the Top 50 of prior years.

They might pick up a 2nd Q1 win (@ILST) if the Redbirds (RPI 85) beat the Ramblers on Sunday.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball