Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 9th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Hard to call Chicago "midwestern" when it has nothing in common with the rest of Illinois.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby goramblers2011 » May 9th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Make MVC Great Again wrote:Hard to call Chicago "midwestern" when it has nothing in common with the rest of Illinois.

Ok--if you're now trying to argue that Chicago isn't 'midwestern', you are truly lost. I can't argue with such stupidity.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

goramblers2011 wrote:
Make MVC Great Again wrote:Hard to call Chicago "midwestern" when it has nothing in common with the rest of Illinois.

Ok--if you're now trying to argue that Chicago isn't 'midwestern', you are truly lost. I can't argue with such stupidity.

Basically a land of self-absorbed and narcissistic New York and Los Angeles transplant who happen to call North Shore Lake Michigan home.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » May 9th, 2017, 3:41 pm

LanceShock wrote:Equating UE's schedule from two years ago and ISUr's schedule from last year is crazy. ISUr had a solid nonconference schedule. Maybe you can say they should have done more, but that is far easier said than done. The rest of the league will need to get better so they aren't as much of a drag on the top teams.

I didn't say the schedules were equal, I said neither was sufficient to get what needed to be done to be an at large team. That's why I said how difficult it's going to be, because even when you make an effort you can't force teams to schedule you, or necessarily predict how good some will be or how early tournaments play out. But RPI is pretty meaningless anymore, it's all about top 50 wins, and to some degree top 100 wins. Well you have to schedule em to get em. ISUr had zero top 50 games and 3 top 100 games in the non-con. That probably won't get it done. I'm not banging on ISUr, I'm just stating fact. MSU has scheduled like puke for several years and I'm constantly banging on the AD about it, so I'm not trying to be holier than thou. I'm just saying the measure for at large consideration often comes down to record against top 50 and top 100 and on the other side, avoiding losses to sub 150 and especially sub 200 teams. Scheduling is difficult for most schools, I know MSU thought they had road games for next year against both San Diego St and Georgetown and then both schools had coaching changes and so nothing is assured for those now. That's why I said I'm not sure teams will be able to schedule well enough to consistently get a second or third bid anymore, but you have to try, and some schools including MSU have been pitiful in their efforts. I think if you know you have a real shot at being a top 50 team you might have to look for an extra roadie against a really tough opponent in the non con, cause losing that game won't hurt as much as not playing it does.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » May 9th, 2017, 4:47 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
LanceShock wrote:Equating UE's schedule from two years ago and ISUr's schedule from last year is crazy. ISUr had a solid nonconference schedule. Maybe you can say they should have done more, but that is far easier said than done. The rest of the league will need to get better so they aren't as much of a drag on the top teams.

I didn't say the schedules were equal, I said neither was sufficient to get what needed to be done to be an at large team. That's why I said how difficult it's going to be, because even when you make an effort you can't force teams to schedule you, or necessarily predict how good some will be or how early tournaments play out. But RPI is pretty meaningless anymore, it's all about top 50 wins, and to some degree top 100 wins. Well you have to schedule em to get em. ISUr had zero top 50 games and 3 top 100 games in the non-con. That probably won't get it done. I'm not banging on ISUr, I'm just stating fact. MSU has scheduled like puke for several years and I'm constantly banging on the AD about it, so I'm not trying to be holier than thou. I'm just saying the measure for at large consideration often comes down to record against top 50 and top 100 and on the other side, avoiding losses to sub 150 and especially sub 200 teams. Scheduling is difficult for most schools, I know MSU thought they had road games for next year against both San Diego St and Georgetown and then both schools had coaching changes and so nothing is assured for those now. That's why I said I'm not sure teams will be able to schedule well enough to consistently get a second or third bid anymore, but you have to try, and some schools including MSU have been pitiful in their efforts. I think if you know you have a real shot at being a top 50 team you might have to look for an extra roadie against a really tough opponent in the non con, cause losing that game won't hurt as much as not playing it does.

Just from a glance your stats are wrong. We played TCU and Wichita State.
Last edited by IllinoisState on May 9th, 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » May 9th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I'm not sure if there is a real cause for the Valley slipping so much lately or if it is just bad luck that so many teams are bad at once. We only had two teams in the top 100 RPI last season. I feel like three or four was the norm ten years ago? Drake was the biggest problem with a 300+ RPI. There is no excuse for any team in the Valley ever being that bad. There were three other teams with 200+ RPIs. I would not think that more than one or two teams at the most should have an RPI that bad most years. In reality I think the goal should be all teams being below 200, which they should be, and multiple teams in the top 100, which is doable. We also need to maintain 2or three teams in the top 50. Based on the schools in the conference, and the budgets of most schools, it seems to me that the Valley should be a top ten conference every year. We were #9 as recently as 2015 with 5 teams in the top 100. Four of those teams are still in the conference. Valpo was #56 in 2015.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 9th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Drakey wrote:I'm not sure if there is a real cause for the Valley slipping so much lately or if it is just bad luck that so many teams are bad at once. We only had two teams in the top 100 RPI last season. I feel like three or four was the norm ten years ago? Drake was the biggest problem with a 300+ RPI. There is no excuse for any team in the Valley ever being that bad. There were three other teams with 200+ RPIs. I would not think that more than one or two teams at the most should have an RPI that bad most years. In reality I think the goal should be all teams being below 200, which they should be, and multiple teams in the top 100, which is doable. We also need to maintain 2or three teams in the top 50. Based on the schools in the conference, and the budgets of most schools, it seems to me that the Valley should be a top ten conference every year. We were #9 as recently as 2015 with 5 teams in the top 100. Four of those teams are still in the conference. Valpo was #56 in 2015.

You are right we need the bottom teams to not be RPI anchors like they have been recently. Honestly, everyone in the conference suffers when a few teams anchor the RPI like they have been recently.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » May 9th, 2017, 7:20 pm

just freaking win and make the MVC great again!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » May 9th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I've said for a few years I think there are a few teams in the MVC that are a dynamic coach from being relevant nationally. And probably one stud from an NCAA tournament appearance.

It reminds me of the scene in Swingers. So money and they don't even know it. Like a big bear,'with claws and fangs, and trying to kill the bunny. But they're just batting the bunny - with the big claws and fangs saying - how do I kill it?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » May 9th, 2017, 8:25 pm

IllinoisState wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

Just from a glance your stats are wrong. We played TCU and Wichita State.

Really, TCU was in the 60's RPI and I kinda think WSU was still in the league and not a non-con game.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball