Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 10th, 2017, 3:18 pm

I know it may be heresy but I was a big fan of Gino's East for pizza.

And I cannot forget to mention the Italian beef at Al's Beef either!
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 10th, 2017, 4:17 pm

I really like Giordano's thin crust cut in squares....I'm also a fan of Lou Malnati's .
And the Berghoff...with dark Berghoff beer.

I remember the Malnati kid who played for Bradley getting ejected one night at Vets Auditorium in Des Moines.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 10th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Obviously, all our ills can be cured if we just eat a Casey's Breakfast Pizza!
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 10th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Casey's does have great breakfast pizza. Also, mark me down for Giordano's being my favorite. Gino's is trash with their full pizza slab of sausage. Disgusting,
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » May 10th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Having moved from Chicago to Normal, Illinois, the thing I miss the most are the restaurants.

Also, about 65% of the Illinois State and Southern Illinois students are from the Chicago area, so maybe this gentleman is mistaking people from Chicago as people he likes, and the New York and LA transplants or Chicago tourists from downstate Illinois are the people he doesn't like.

And it's freakin' amazing that despite not knowing how to run an athletic department, Loyola has 2 NCAA national championships in men's volleyball, a CBI title, an MTE trophy, the record for the largest winning margin in Arch Madness history, a men's soccer national ranking and NCAA at large bid..... in the last 3 years.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 11th, 2017, 7:34 am

Rambler63 wrote:Having moved from Chicago to Normal, Illinois, the thing I miss the most are the restaurants.

Also, about 65% of the Illinois State and Southern Illinois students are from the Chicago area, so maybe this gentleman is mistaking people from Chicago as people he likes, and the New York and LA transplants or Chicago tourists from downstate Illinois are the people he doesn't like.

And it's freakin' amazing that despite not knowing how to run an athletic department, Loyola has 2 NCAA national championships in men's volleyball, a CBI title, an MTE trophy, the record for the largest winning margin in Arch Madness history, a men's soccer national ranking and NCAA at large bid..... in the last 3 years.

Sorry to inform this to you but a CBI title doesn't mean anything. You payed huge money to play low-majors. Frankly it would have been an embarrassment to this league if you couldn't have beaten Seattle.

Take those other sports to other sections of this fan board. I'm not going to discuss the impact of men's volleyball in the basketball section.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » May 11th, 2017, 7:54 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I know it may be heresy but I was a big fan of Gino's East for pizza.

And I cannot forget to mention the Italian beef at Al's Beef either!

I'm alright with Gino's it's prob third on my list but I can respect it.

Al's is GREAT. Good burgers too if you haven't had them.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » May 11th, 2017, 8:59 am

Rambler63 wrote:Having moved from Chicago to Normal, Illinois, the thing I miss the most are the restaurants.

Mens VB - the only selling point of the athletic department - not an MVC sport

CBI title - WGAF. Congrats on being the tallest....you know the rest. I don't need yet another PM from a PC mod of this website

Larging MOV in Arch Madness? Cool. That certainly got you into the NCAA tournament? It at least got you to the title game, right? No? Well, certainly it means you've won more than 1 game in any given season in St Louis, right? Oh, that's also a no? That game was against an Indiana State team that was under .500 against D1 competition? You don't say.

MTE trophy? Cool. Join the club, I guess. What MTE was it? Something bigger like Battle 4 Atlantis, Hawaii, Maui, Cancun, Tire Pros, etc...? Not really. Okay, but at least it was like a 3 or 4 game event and not same small 3 or 4 team set up right? No, that's exactly what it was? Well, it's something I guess

Mens soccer ranking? Cool, I guess?

Certainly with the largest MOV in Arch Madness, a real good MVB team, and a good mens soccer team Loyola is at/near the top of the all sports standings, right? No? They weren't top 5 last year? Let's look at every year since they joined

16/17 not complete yet but based on current standings/completed sports. Only outdoor T/F aren't included. Baseball is based on current standings, but the position +/-1 is locked in and shouldn't really affect the stanindings...anyway...LUC is 9th
1- WSU 2.31
2- UNI 3.35
3- ISUR 4
4- MSU 4.38
5- SIU 4.41
6- DU 6.21
7- UE 6.38
8- ISUB 6.45
9- LUC 6.58
10- BU 6.75

15/16 - 10th
1- WSU 2.13
2- SIU 3.56
3- ISUR 4.53
4- UNI 4.56
5- MSU 4.93
6- ISUB 5
7- DU 5.63
8- BU 6.07
9- UE 6.62
10- LUC 6.64

14/15 - 10th
1- WSU 2.33
2- SIU 3.86
3- UNI 4.06
4- MSU 4.26
5- ISUB 4.54
6- ISUR 4.88
7- DU 5.56
8- BU 5.93
9- UE 6.23
10- LUC 6.79

13/14 - 8TH
1- WSU 2.13
2- ISUB 3.21
3- ISUR 3.94
4- SIU 4.06
5- UNI 4.86
6- MSU 5.15
7- BU 5.93
8- LUC 6
9- DU 6.31
10- UE 6.38

What this shows is that LUC might have a good soccer team, this year, but they've been pretty bad the three years prior were bottom half finishes. . I'll give some leeway for being new to the MVC, but the best year was the first year

It also shows why fans of public schools don't really care for the way the private schools carry themselves in terms of "importance". You've gone last, last and 9th since then. I have no idea how good anyone's track teams are, but with W and M OTF left to input, and the gap between BU and LUC it's not unreasonable to think there's a jump there. That's extra true when you look how how the ITF and XC teams performced compared to Loyola for Bradley. Bradly has also finished a head of Loyola in OTF every year as well in M and W.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » May 11th, 2017, 9:50 am

The MTE was Vegas Continental. 4 game set up, with wins over Texas Tech and Boise State in Vegas, not the biggest tournament but certainly respectable programs to beat. Not gonna really fight it because you seem to have something against LU and whatever we represent to you (death of the conference maybe? In my opinion we are just a symptom of what's happening in conferences across the country... mid majors are being elbowed out). You didn't really seem to have beef with LU until Great Again started posting and WSU left so i guess i'm sorry if you blame us? Also come on bruh, an at large bid is an at large bid no matter the sport, for soccer it shows continued growth, and most of the team will be back next season, so we anticipate continued success.

I also don't really think private fans carry themselves differently? I've had great talks with fans from UNI, WSU, Bradley, Evansville, and Indiana State. Apparently there were crappy Creighton fans on the board just like there were crappy WSU fans. But there were also a lot of cool WSU posters too, I'm not gonna label a whole fan base as trash just like I couldn't label all ISUr players thugs. I don't know if you feel the need to punch down cuz there's no one really to punch up to or what...?

We could do this:
-I mention LU has a 4-4 regular season split with UNI since joining the conference
-you'll counter with "4-5 if you count the tourney game in '15."
-I'll then complain about officiating in the game this year at Cedar Falls with a non foul called allowing 2 free throws to send the game to overtime where another ghost call fouled Jackson out.
-You'll then bring up making the tourney two times
-Maybe i'll counter and say "one of those tourney teams was swept by Loyola," but more likely I'll go with "yep good for you, we're trying to get there"
-AND THEN NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED CUZ NO ONE WANTS TO BUDGE EVEN IF VALID POINTS ARE BROUGHT UP (at some point some WSU poster will probably pop in and say "UNI FLOPS!")

Also two genuine questions: Thoughts on Deep Dish? And where'd you snag those Complete sports numbers, I believe em, just curious!

EDIT- Also question about the numbers, how does it take into account schools that don't have all sports? LU doesn't have baseball/Tennis, I'm pretty sure not all schools have soccer. Just wondering!
Last edited by Blers on May 11th, 2017, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » May 11th, 2017, 9:55 am

Blers wrote:The MTE was Vegas Continental. 4 game set up, with wins over Texas Tech and Boise State in Vegas, not the biggest tournament but certainly respectable programs to beat. Not gonna really fight it because you seem to have something against LU and whatever we represent to you (death of the conference maybe? In my opinion we are just a symptom of what's happening in conferences across the country... mid majors are being elbowed out). You didn't really seem to have beef with LU until Great Again started posting and WSU left so i guess i'm sorry if you blame us? Also come on bruh, an at large bid is an at large bid no matter the sport, for soccer it shows continued growth, and most of the team will be back next season, so we anticipate continued success.

I also don't really think private fans carry themselves differently? I've had great talks with fans from UNI, WSU, Bradley, Evansville, and Indiana State. Apparently there were crappy Creighton fans on the board just like there were crappy WSU fans. But there were also a lot of cool WSU posters too, I'm not gonna label a whole fan base as trash just like I couldn't label all ISUr players thugs. I don't know if you feel the need to punch down cuz there's no one really to punch up to or what...?

We could do this:
-I mention LU has a 4-4 regular season split with UNI since joining the conference
-you'll counter with "4-5 if you count the tourney game in '15."
-I'll then complain about officiating in the game this year at Cedar Falls with a non foul called allowing 2 free throws to send the game to overtime where another ghost call fouled Jackson out.
-You'll then bring up making the tourney two times
-Maybe i'll counter and say "one of those tourney teams was swept by Loyola," but more likely I'll go with "yep good for you, we're trying to get there"
-AND THEN NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED CUZ NO ONE WANTS TO BUDGE EVEN IF VALID POINTS ARE BROUGHT UP (at some point some WSU poster will probably pop in and say "UNI FLOPS!")

Also two genuine questions: Thoughts on Deep Dish? And where'd you snag those Complete sports numbers, I believe em, just curious!

UNI flops!
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball