Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Goal #1: Become Multi-Bid Conf. Again

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 11th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Blers wrote:The MTE was Vegas Continental. 4 game set up, with wins over Texas Tech and Boise State in Vegas, not the biggest tournament but certainly respectable programs to beat. Not gonna really fight it because you seem to have something against LU and whatever we represent to you (death of the conference maybe? In my opinion we are just a symptom of what's happening in conferences across the country... mid majors are being elbowed out). You didn't really seem to have beef with LU until Great Again started posting and WSU left so i guess i'm sorry if you blame us? Also come on bruh, an at large bid is an at large bid no matter the sport, for soccer it shows continued growth, and most of the team will be back next season, so we anticipate continued success.

I also don't really think private fans carry themselves differently? I've had great talks with fans from UNI, WSU, Bradley, Evansville, and Indiana State. Apparently there were crappy Creighton fans on the board just like there were crappy WSU fans. But there were also a lot of cool WSU posters too, I'm not gonna label a whole fan base as trash just like I couldn't label all ISUr players thugs. I don't know if you feel the need to punch down cuz there's no one really to punch up to or what...?

We could do this:
-I mention LU has a 4-4 regular season split with UNI since joining the conference
-you'll counter with "4-5 if you count the tourney game in '15."
-I'll then complain about officiating in the game this year at Cedar Falls with a non foul called allowing 2 free throws to send the game to overtime where another ghost call fouled Jackson out.
-You'll then bring up making the tourney two times
-Maybe i'll counter and say "one of those tourney teams was swept by Loyola," but more likely I'll go with "yep good for you, we're trying to get there"
-AND THEN NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED CUZ NO ONE WANTS TO BUDGE EVEN IF VALID POINTS ARE BROUGHT UP (at some point some WSU poster will probably pop in and say "UNI FLOPS!")

Also two genuine questions: Thoughts on Deep Dish? And where'd you snag those Complete sports numbers, I believe em, just curious!

EDIT- Also question about the numbers, how does it take into account schools that don't have all sports? LU doesn't have baseball/Tennis, I'm pretty sure not all schools have soccer. Just wondering!

It was an MTE when the best players for Boise were all out injured. Stop looking at it from one perspective. You guys complained when Doyle was out for an extended period of time. Can't have it both ways.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 11th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Blers wrote:
Redhawk wrote:I was all in on your argument until this:

Blers wrote:just like I couldn't label all ISUr players thugs.

You complain about someone having an agenda against Loyola or the "Privates"
yet you seem to have a similar prejudice against ISUr!

I think you misread my post? I said I couldn't (or at least i hope i have not done) do that! I totally acknowledge that I wasn't a fan of Hawkins for all his off the court stuff drunk driving is a serious thing and i have no respect for it. But I had a TON of respect for players like Paris Lee, and Tony Willis; and just cuz Hawkins soured me i'm NOT going to spread that label to ISU fans/players (though i will again admit i rooted against Hawkins personal success on the court).

I do think ISUr definitely got/gets flack with the "jail birds" thing, but i think that came from all directions, it wasn't a public/private thing. And i think that sucks for a fanbase and a team. In the heat of the regular season I probably pointed to it out of frustration after they whooped us at home. Which is stupid cuz on the court they kicked our butts regardless. So I try not to spread big sweeping labels to an entire fanbase/team of college kids. Def not prejudice against ISUr fans!

Don't act like Moser recruits all choir boys. Go on your players' social media pages and you'll see their personalities. Also, just ask them how they spend their weekends. No different than any athlete in this conference.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » May 11th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I know the point has been made, but no sport matters other than basketball in this conference. For the long term, despite the comments of the state school fans, I like the chances of success of the privates in Basketball.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » May 11th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Drakey wrote:I know the point has been made, but no sport matters other than basketball in this conference. For the long term, despite the comments of the state school fans, I like the chances of success of the privates in Basketball.

Yep. Being private doesn't seem to hurt Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, Dayton, St. Joe's, Davidson, George Washington, St. Mary's etc. And not having JV football doesn't seem to hurt Wichita, VCU.

And where is North Dakota State, after 4 straight FCS football titles? In the Summit League, and losing their coaches every time a Wright State or Ohio calls.

If the MVFC fans who want to join with the Dakotas, WIU, Youngstown etc and jump to FBS ever get their wish, I'd be happy to show them the door. The privates would join with the A10 and steal their best coaches while they hemorrhage cash.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » May 12th, 2017, 7:31 am

Make MVC Great Again wrote: Go on your players' social media pages and you'll see their personalities. Also, just ask them how they spend their weekends. No different than any athlete in this conference.

Now that's a creepy statement! Getting to know players and their families at University sponsored social events is fun, scouring the social media for stuff in the personal lives of 18-22 year old students is just perverse.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 12th, 2017, 7:39 am

Drakey wrote:I know the point has been made, but no sport matters other than basketball in this conference. For the long term, despite the comments of the state school fans, I like the chances of success of the privates in Basketball.

I like Bradley's ability to be good.

We have deacades of proof that Drake, UE and Loyola aren't a higher % of being anything better than "meh" in their best years.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 12th, 2017, 7:51 am

uniftw wrote:

We have deacades of proof that Drake, UE and Loyola aren't a higher % of being anything better than "meh" in their best years.

Agreed with Drake and Evansville. Loyola, however, we have to give them a few more seasons. No, they weren't good in other conferences but they are in our conference now and have been recruiting and playing better. Good lord, Drake is a big fat steaming pile of trash. I loathe Drake because they have been so bad. Hoe do you finish under .500 24 times in 30 years!!! Finished with 20 wins only ONCE in three decades!
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » May 12th, 2017, 8:02 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Now that's a creepy statement! Getting to know players and their families at University sponsored social events is fun, scouring the social media for stuff in the personal lives of 18-22 year old students is just perverse.

:+1:

The age of social media requires a different set of social norms - and among them should be old dudes from Evansville shouldn't be stalking AAU players from Chicago on Instagram.

But, thanks to MMGA for ragging on someone other than Evansville.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby musiccitybulldog » May 12th, 2017, 8:49 am

uniftw wrote:

It is interesting how different fans view the Valley teams. For the last several years it seemed to me if someone was going to beat Wichita it would be Evansville, and sometimes they did.
At the tournament a couple years a go when Wichita still had Baker and VanVleet, Loyola had them on the ropes and the game came down to a few plays at the end, one of the more memorable tourney games in a while. It seems almost any team loses players to transfer whether being "drafted" by a power 5 school or moving on of their own desire, which is going to and has made an impact on mid-major teams.
I sure don't see any existing Valley team being more "meh" than any other.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » May 12th, 2017, 9:23 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:It is interesting how different fans view the Valley teams. For the last several years it seemed to me if someone was going to beat Wichita it would be Evansville, and sometimes they did.

Evansville has lost 9 straight games to the Shockers. Haven't won since 2013!

If someone was going to beat WSU it was ISUr. They are 3-3 against the Shockers the past 6 games!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball