Serious Question

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Serious Question

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 10th, 2017, 8:46 am

The MVC was the sixth rated conference and a three bid league. It's definitely realistic that they could have pulled in two of Butler, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, or St. Louis
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 10th, 2017, 8:49 am

Feel like I'm waking up from a bad dream. Where has time gone?
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 10th, 2017, 8:52 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The MVC was the sixth rated conference and a three bid league. It's definitely realistic that they could have pulled in two of Butler, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, or St. Louis

If they added four do you really think WSU would have left a five bid league? I doubt it. I doubt Creighton would have either, even for the Big East. Without Creighton and Butler the Big East is the same bid league as that prospective MVC league would have been. Would have been a lateral move at best with increased travel costs.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on May 10th, 2017, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 10th, 2017, 8:54 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The MVC was the sixth rated conference and a three bid league. It's definitely realistic that they could have pulled in two of Butler, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, or St. Louis

If they added four do you really think WSU would have left a five bid league? I doubt it.

And considering the American only got two in yeah.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » May 10th, 2017, 8:58 am

SLU had only joined the A10 in 2005 and they bypassed the Valley to make the move SOLELY for East Coast marketing purposes. Dayton had the same general philosophy for being in the A10.

You can think it's realistic if you want, but you'd be wrong.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 10th, 2017, 9:07 am

squirrel wrote:SLU had only joined the A10 in 2005 and they bypassed the Valley to make the move SOLELY for East Coast marketing purposes. Dayton had the same general philosophy for being in the A10.

You can think it's realistic if you want, but you'd be wrong.

A-10 or a five bid league? Easy. the bids and exposure would get marketing too. Stop.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » May 10th, 2017, 9:08 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:They could have been travel partners together. And, Gonzaga does want out of the WCC. All other west coast conferences better than the WCC are FBS and the Zags don't play football. Only choice is to go east. Current talk of them going to the Big East which is even more eastern than the MVC. Even if neither west coast team joined you could of had VCU at the time. Add another eastern school for their travel partner. It's not realistic now but in 2013 these scenarios would have been realistic with two top teams already holding down the MVC.

I'm not sure schools that are 15 hours apart would be considered travel partners.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 10th, 2017, 9:12 am

I just want my conference back.

And with this leadership and school being let in, it is not going to happen.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 10th, 2017, 9:12 am

But, even if they didn't join adding VCU and Butler would have been good too. That's still a 4-5 bid league at 12. Because I do not think Creighton and Butler would have left the MVC in 13 for the Big East when Butler, Creighton, Wichita State, UNI, VCU, and INSU all made the tournament. Of course, if they were all in the same league it probably would have only been five bids instead of six but why leave a five bid league where there would have been four recent final fours in that group? Come on. Nobody would have left and that's just with two additions.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 10th, 2017, 9:17 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:But, even if they didn't join adding VCU and Butler would have been good too. That's still a 4-5 bid league at 12. Because I do not think Creighton and Butler would have left the MVC in 13 for the Big East when Butler, Creighton, Wichita State, UNI, VCU, and INSU all made the tournament. Of course, if they were all in the same league it probably would have only been five bids instead of six but why leave a five bid league where there would have been four recent final fours in that group? Come on. Nobody would have left and that's just with two additions.

There is no possible scenario where the Big East is created (something that was going to happen because football) and Creighton and Butler don't join that league.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball