Serious Question

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Serious Question

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I will come back to this conversation on May 12th 2017 when after Gregg Marshall leaves your program and the next hire does not sustain the success he has had despite all that fan support and the associated money that comes with it
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » May 12th, 2017, 4:43 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Semantics. We just have a different philosophy.

I still don't see how fan support helps you maintain your level if GM is at Alabama right now alone.

You better hope your AD would have hired the next GM...and that has nothing to do with fan support.

Nothing can guarantee that you will get a home run hire but fan support (and the associated money) sure helps make a better hire. If you can't understand that, then well that's on you. I hope your admin doesn't have the same mindset and doesn't care about fan support.

Keep showing you examples where fan support and the associated money does not equate to success or continued success. See the Chicago Bears and University of Illinois both of which have lots of money lots of fan support and yet could not sustain success after losing a coach. The next hire was a bad hire and it's set the program or team back a few years no matter how good the fan support was and the money that came with it. Wichita State understood that and was willing to pay a lot more money to try and keep Gregg Marshall around.

Mostly coming from big donors.

Do you not get that?

Geez you are dense. You are arguing against a point that no one is making.

Me: Fan Support is important and one of the key components to success. It doesnt cure all and doesn't guarantee success but it puts you in a way better position.

You: look at these examples of places that failed with great fan support therefore fan support doesn't contribute to success and isn't necessary.

You keep arguing a flawed argument but you apparently aren't smart enough to see why it's flawed.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » May 12th, 2017, 4:45 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:I will come back to this conversation on May 12th 2017 when after Gregg Marshall leaves your program and the next hire does not sustain the success he has had despite all that fan support and the associated money that comes with it

But will you come back and admit you are wrong if they do maintain success (which is more likely, though not guaranteed) . My guess is no
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 4:51 pm

That is NOT my argument.
Maybe you are dense...
You are making an assumption that fan support will help you sustained success long-term whithin your program due to the money it brings in and the support with sell out crowds and everything that comes with that. However the number one factor for replacing your current coach with somebody new will be the decision of who that hire is by your athletic director. If he fails that choice your fan support and your money within the program will not be a factor if that new coach cannot sustain the success in recruiting and overall program growth at Wichita State University.

You think fan support impacts how good your program is going to be but if you hire me as the coach you guys are doomed no matter what until you get rid of me

Fan support is good but it will not help you sustain success If you hired the wrong coach
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » May 12th, 2017, 4:55 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:That is NOT my argument.
Maybe you are dense...
You are making an assumption that fan support will help you sustained success long-term whithin your program due to the money it brings in and the support with sell out crowds and everything that comes with that. However the number one factor for replacing your current coach with somebody new will be the decision of who that hire is by your athletic director. If he fails that choice your fan support and your money within the program will not be a factor if that new coach cannot sustain the success in recruiting and overall program growth at Wichita State University.

You think fan support impacts how good your program is going to be but if you hire me as the coach you guys are doomed no matter what until you get rid of me

Fan support is good but it will not help you sustain success If you hired the wrong coach

I don't think you under stand the concept that it can HELP but also not be the sole reason. That seems foreign to you.

Fan Support helps you get rid of that bad hire and try again rather than being stuck with a bad mediocre coach. So it put you in a better position.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 5:01 pm

There are countless examples of college programs who sell out games and then make the wrong hire. Bill guthridge or whatever at UNC is an example. North Carolina has a huge following nationally and a very very Deep Pockets and that hire set them way back during that era.

Yes I agree deep pockets get you out of a bad hire quicker, but never was that the argument.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 12th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Even worse, Matt Doherty.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Even worse, Matt Doherty.

Last time I checked all those UNC fans didnt help hire those coaches, the AD did.

This guy is trying to,make himself more important than he really is at that school. Yes, you help create a great home atmosphere, yes you guys give money to the athletic department, but no you don't offer the head coaching job to a coach, which historically came from the ranks of the low majors looking to advance their careers to a bigger basketball program
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 12th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Fan support helps with recruiting and with retention. Not with the direction of the basketball program once Marshall leaves. That's on the Athletic Director...to think otherwise is not smart.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » May 12th, 2017, 8:11 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Even worse, Matt Doherty.

Last time I checked all those UNC fans didnt help hire those coaches, the AD did.

This guy is trying to,make himself more important than he really is at that school. Yes, you help create a great home atmosphere, yes you guys give money to the athletic department, but no you don't offer the head coaching job to a coach, which historically came from the ranks of the low majors looking to advance their careers to a bigger basketball program

You really don't get it. Kinda sad
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball