ESPN has ugly article about the valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ESPN has ugly article about the valley

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 8th, 2010, 11:06 pm

I believe to get an at large now a team would need a real long string of consecutive wins, that gains media attention. Run the table from here on out. The string would over shadow any early season near misses. It's still possible.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jayball » December 9th, 2010, 8:08 am

Shockers don't have any bad losses yet and played really well against UCONN on TV.

While they don't have a big time signature win, I also think they can stay in consideration if the string several wins together. The noncon still includes LSU and Tulsa. And WSU is likely to get a decent BB opponent.

If they can avoid bad losses in conference, they should be solid bubble material. A win over UCONN and/or SDSU would have given more breathing room, but I think it could still be done. No guarantees of an at large, but you should still be in the conversation.

Bears have two losses and neither are horrible. Games against Okie St and SLU give other chances to build a resume, but I think you have to win at OKie St to have an at large chance. AFter that same as above.....win alot and don't drop games to the bottom half of the valley.

Definitiely bigger odds at this point for at large consideration but I don't think it is completely out of the question yet.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » December 9th, 2010, 8:35 am

unipanther99 wrote:
valleychamp wrote:UNI wasn't going to be an at-large team coming into the season anyway. To say that the league's chances are destroyed because we lose a crap fest at Iowa is ridiculous.

As for your first point, he addresses that in the article, saying it's a bit unfair to make a big deal about UNI not being an at-large team this year.

Secondly, a path to two bids for the MVC is certainly possible. But just looking at the league "as is" right now, could you call it a two bid league?

My point was that for several of our multi-bid years, the league didn't look like a two-bid league much more than it does now.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bigdawg » December 9th, 2010, 9:25 am

I think increasing to 68 teams could help us. There have been a couple of times in recent memory than MSU and CU were literally the first team on the wrong side of the bubble. Maybe it works to our advantage this year.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » December 9th, 2010, 9:31 am

bigdawg wrote:I think increasing to 68 teams could help us. There have been a couple of times in recent memory than MSU and CU were literally the first team on the wrong side of the bubble. Maybe it works to our advantage this year.

You might be right, but the trade-off could mean having both of our teams in play-in games.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bigdawg » December 9th, 2010, 11:04 am

unipanther99 wrote:
bigdawg wrote:I think increasing to 68 teams could help us. There have been a couple of times in recent memory than MSU and CU were literally the first team on the wrong side of the bubble. Maybe it works to our advantage this year.

You might be right, but the trade-off could mean having both of our teams in play-in games.

I'd take that option as things stand right now. Plus I'm sure Elgin would love the TV exposure.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » December 9th, 2010, 11:54 am

2 checks are better than 1!!!!

I would love to be able to play one neutral site game against mid-level BCSers to get in. That way at least you have a shot and can prove it on the court rather than just being on the selectionroom floor
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball