What's the holdup?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What's the holdup?

Postby mule » May 27th, 2017, 11:48 am

UEACES80 wrote:When I was at UE in the late '70's we had football but it was much dead - MIke Alden former Mizzou AD was on the football team. Then later Andy Benes was on the Football, Basketball and of course the Baseball team when he was a Freshman.

You're a few years too young. Jim Byers' teams went 8-2 in '74 and 7-3 in '75. The '74 team played in the NCAA Div. III playoffs losing in the pouring rain at Reitz Bowl to the eventual national champion Central College 17-16. Central blocked the game-tying extra point attempt with less than 2 minutes left in the game.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » May 29th, 2017, 8:58 am

mule wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:When I was at UE in the late '70's we had football but it was much dead - MIke Alden former Mizzou AD was on the football team. Then later Andy Benes was on the Football, Basketball and of course the Baseball team when he was a Freshman.

You're a few years too young. Jim Byers' teams went 8-2 in '74 and 7-3 in '75. The '74 team played in the NCAA Div. III playoffs losing in the pouring rain at Reitz Bowl to the eventual national champion Central College 17-16. Central blocked the game-tying extra point attempt with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

Those were certainly the glory days for Aces football. Most of my memories of Aces football were that they were just good enough to lose. Many heart breaking losses, and just could never quite get over the hump with Butler. Kind of reminds of the basketball program of late.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball