Early Looks at MVC Players

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Looks at MVC Players

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 3:29 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:You must have a ton of experience scheduling d1 games then.

Anybody can schedule SWAC schools. But, many p5s turn down a good mid major school as it's a lose lose to play them. The fact UNI continues to do well with it is amazing.

Not sure why you care anyway. Call Mr. Loose Watch and tell him to schedule UNI h/h

Because his self-worth is tied into the glory of winning a year-old debate only he remembers (on an obscure forum irrelevant to him) at the expense of his summer.

Exactly! I didn't think it was so difficult to understand.

People who are wrong often don't remember.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » June 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm

People who are wrong hope that repeatedly citing an untruth somehow makes it more accepted as reality.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 3:48 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:People who are wrong hope that repeatedly citing an untruth somehow makes it more accepted as reality.

I assume you are directing this at me, as you have disagreed with some of my posts in this thread.

Care to point out an untruth I have claimed in this thread?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » June 14th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Can't believe the mighty NDSU or their siblings in the Dakotas aren't jumping on this chance to schedule UNI.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » June 15th, 2017, 7:06 am

UEACES80 wrote:Can't believe the mighty NDSU or their siblings in the Dakotas aren't jumping on this chance to schedule UNI.

SDSU has been bought by UNI a few times - including last year. UNI beat SDSU by 28, and it could have been 40-50 but the dogs were called about halfway through the second half.

NDSU won't allow themselves to be bought by UNI. It's a pride issue for them - or even do a 2/1. UNI has offered both and been turned down. NDSU would rather do a H/H with. or be bought by, UNC-Pembrook, UNC-Ashville, Arkansas State, NC A&T, etc...

They play a schedule that even Marty Simmons would blush looking at. Playing against a UNI, Illinois State, Wichita State, etc... would completely burst their bubble of where they stand in comparison to other MM programs. They would rather have to go to Montana, California, Texas, Mississippi and Alabama to fill their schedule than play UNI.

That's not a joke. Look at their OOC from the last few years

Home
Ark State
Waldorf (IA NAIA)
North Dakota x2
UC Davis
Montana
North Carolina A&T
Montana State
Kennesaw State
Hampton
Akron

Road
UNC Greensboro
High Point
Missouri State
Xavier
North Carolina A&T
North Dakota x2
UC Davis
Arkansas State
Southern Miss
Idaho State
UT Rio Grande Valley
Utah State
Texas - home game for UT as part of a MTE
Iowa - home fame for Iowa as part of MTE
Montana State
Southern Miss
Montana

UNI has also played UND 6 times since the start of the 08/09 season. UNI is 6-0 with an avg MOV of 20 and scores of 69-49, 64-41, 65-52, 72-47, 77-66, 64-52, 97-51 and 78-70 (UND's best team ever and UNI's worst in decades). UND will end up back on the schedule moving forward, but a year or two off is likely "needed"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » June 15th, 2017, 11:33 am

Well. I really liked the first few pages of this thread.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniguy » June 15th, 2017, 12:07 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:UNI will do well to avoid Playing-In...at-large is not a possibility this year. Jacobsen will probably find a way to get them to 5th at best

I've seen a number of people that feel this way. I hope the media does too. We tend to do better when we are underestimated.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniguy » June 15th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm not so sure it is as difficult as you imply. I have long beat the drum that scheduling is extremely difficult.

Yet 300+ teams a year seem to put together full schedules. So while I maintain it is difficult, I further maintain it is not as difficult as you claim.

It probably isn't terribly difficult to get a full schedule, but the goal at UNI (probably more so than most places) isn't necessarily to get a full schedule but to get a GOOD one that works for them. They could probably buy, and could certainly schedule a H-H with a bad mid-major.....but why dilute the schedule by doing that if you don't have to?

UNI schedules to give themselves a shot at an at-large. If it doesn't work out, we are in the same place we'd be if we scheduled cupcakes (all hopes resting on Arch Madness). Why dilute the schedule for the sake of filling it? I think if you asked Jake or David Harris they would say they did exactly what they wanted with the schedule. It isnt that they failed to fill it full...its that they were successful getting the kind of dchedule they wanted.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Make MVC Great Again » June 15th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Anyone that schedules an NAIA or D2 team should automatically be given a loss.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » June 15th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Make MVC Great Again wrote:Anyone that schedules an NAIA or D2 team should automatically be given a loss.

Maybe that's why WSU was the 11th and 10th seed the past two years!

Especially with Emporia State and Southern Nazarene on the docket
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball