Early Looks at MVC Players

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Looks at MVC Players

Postby uniftw » June 13th, 2017, 6:41 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:A decent RPI and 25 wins isn't getting UNI in to the NCAA tournament.

nc
You seem to conveniently overlook the fact that NC, Iowa St., Xavier, and Arizona might all be part of that schedule. So are you saying 25 wins with several of those counted among them wouldn't be enough? Now I don't think UNI is up to that, but you're just sounding stupid trying to diss that schedule.

25 wins means that UNI either ran through the MVC with very, very, few losses - like less than 3 and still had a few top 50-100 wins OOC. I'm talking 19-21 total MVC wins between regular season and Arch Madness (which probably wins the MVC tournament and renders the whole discussion meaningless). It also means that UNI still wins between 5 to 7 OOC games, which means beating at least a couple of Iowa State, UNC, Xavier, Arizona, or the rest of the B4A field....

OR

It means UNI goes 10-0 OOC, 2 Arch Madness wins (title game loss) and 13-3 MVC record in the regular season. That puts UNI at 25-3 with about 7 top 25-50 wins. That UNI team is getting in - and is likely ranked most of the season

Either one of those it's pretty safe to say that 25 wins gets UNI on the bubble this year - maybe not in, but UNI's schedule is set up to get them there.

Having 27 wins with those 2 extra wins being Eastern Illinois and NC Pembroke isn't getting UNI any closer than 25 without those
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 8:26 am

There's nothing 'stupid' about questioning an incomplete schedule. Gaudy records are a necessity for teams in leagues outside the P5 and BigEast.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 14th, 2017, 9:47 am

Cdizzle wrote:There's nothing 'stupid' about questioning an incomplete schedule. Gaudy records are a necessity for teams in leagues outside the P5 and BigEast.

Not if part of your so called "25 wins" for UNI includes beating UNC, Xavier, Iowa St., etc. Then it's not a necessity at all.

In fact, since you seem adamant to hang out on this site still, would you rather:

A. Play the schedule they have against a very good P5 loaded competition, but with two less games

or

B. Play the same schedule but add two games against RPI 20+ conference affiliates that will hurt them more than help them?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby chitown fanatic » June 14th, 2017, 10:21 am

BCPanther wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Since we're talking schedules, UNI is freaking loaded again.

Home-
Xavier
UNLV
UT-Arlington (buy game)
Iowa Conference Opponent (DIII)
Battle 4 Atlantis Home Game
1 More Buy Game (One of the Dakotas, most likely)

Away-
North Carolina
1 Home and Home to start on road (Agreed but not signed, Top 75 team)

Neutral-
Battle 4 Atlantis (Arizona, Villanova, NC State, Purdue, Tenn, SMU, WKU)
Iowa State in Des Moines

1 more to get

Ended up with 2 D-III games both Wartburg and Dubuque on the schedule. Plus RPI anchors Alcorn St. and Chicago St. Woof!

We had no choice on Chicago State, that's our Battle 4 Atlantis mainland game. Alcorn is a buy to get another home game.

The D3s are fine because they get us home games and don't count against RPI.

Should still be a Top 25 SOS with a lot more chances to get some wins. Sweep the home games and get 2 of the 4 games between Iowa State and Atlantis and we'll give ourselves a chance at an at large.

UNI will do well to avoid Playing-In...at-large is not a possibility this year. Jacobsen will probably find a way to get them to 5th at best
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby chitown fanatic » June 14th, 2017, 10:26 am

But I do love their non-con schedule though(d3's notwithstanding). From what I hear about my Braves's schedule, itll get ripped to shreds here and rightfully so as it appears a roadie to Chicago st is inexplicably in the cards, although a decent mid major field at the Bahamas tourney will help....no marquee games to speak of though as of yet.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 11:40 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:There's nothing 'stupid' about questioning an incomplete schedule. Gaudy records are a necessity for teams in leagues outside the P5 and BigEast.

Not if part of your so called "25 wins" for UNI includes beating UNC, Xavier, Iowa St., etc. Then it's not a necessity at all.

In fact, since you seem adamant to hang out on this site still, would you rather:

A. Play the schedule they have against a very good P5 loaded competition, but with two less games

or

B. Play the same schedule but add two games against RPI 20+ conference affiliates that will hurt them more than help them?

Are these the only 2 options?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 14th, 2017, 12:22 pm

They seem to be the only options available given their schedule has been released...add two games or stay put.

I'm guessing they believe their schedule to be strong enough already NOT to take on any buy games. So that means non buy games against mid or low major type teams.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 12:45 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:They seem to be the only options available given their schedule has been released...add two games or stay put.

I'm guessing they believe their schedule to be strong enough already NOT to take on any buy games. So that means non buy games against mid or low major type teams.

There aren't any other teams willing to play a H-H? None will be bought by UNI? None will buy UNI?

Odd.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:They seem to be the only options available given their schedule has been released...add two games or stay put.

There aren't any other teams willing to play a H-H? None will be bought by UNI? None will buy UNI?

Odd.

The only people who know that answer are with the UNI basketball program...
Perhaps you should call the AD and politely ask him if you can schedule the final two games for them. I'm sure it's much harder than it sounds.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 14th, 2017, 1:30 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Odd.

The only people who know that answer are with the UNI basketball program...
Perhaps you should call the AD and politely ask him if you can schedule the final two games for them. I'm sure it's much harder than it sounds.

I'm not so sure it is as difficult as you imply. I have long beat the drum that scheduling is extremely difficult.

Yet 300+ teams a year seem to put together full schedules. So while I maintain it is difficult, I further maintain it is not as difficult as you claim.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball