Early Looks at MVC Players

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Looks at MVC Players

Postby Make MVC Great Again » June 16th, 2017, 11:53 am

Blers wrote:
Make MVC Great Again wrote:Anyone that schedules an NAIA or D2 team should automatically be given a loss.

Maybe that's why WSU was the 11th and 10th seed the past two years!

Especially with Emporia State and Southern Nazarene on the docket

No. They were a 11 and 10 seed because they played you guys. The definition of RPI anchors.

Also, I know that is a signature Loyola move to schedule D2/NAIA games to inflate records and give your ten fans that show up a sense that program is actually taking a step forward when it is not.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lusuperfan1 » June 16th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Dude you have to get a life. I agree our schedule is poor, but your irrational hatred of Loyola is unbelievably sad. Go haunt the AAC board chief.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Make MVC Great Again » June 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Lusuperfan1 wrote:Dude you have to get a life. I agree our schedule is poor, but your irrational hatred of Loyola is unbelievably sad. Go haunt the AAC board chief.

Don't project your ineptitude on me.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Lusuperfan1 » June 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Make MVC Great Again wrote:
Lusuperfan1 wrote:Dude you have to get a life. I agree our schedule is poor, but your irrational hatred of Loyola is unbelievably sad. Go haunt the AAC board chief.

Don't project your ineptitude on me.

Your insult makes no sense. Everyone here is dumber for reading it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Seriously though, you say "you're not a Wichita state fan", but which state do you live in? Is it IN, IL, IA, or MO?
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » June 16th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I do want to steer this back to 2017-18 MVC players. From a LU perspective, I feel that we have plenty of talent, depth, and logjams. I hope Porter can improve as a coach and not lose guys. If Custer and Richardson keep getting 35 minutes a night, we'll be screwed. IMHO, I don't think Skokna is a true backup for Custer though, but we'll see.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby underdawg » July 23rd, 2017, 11:51 am

siudawgs wrote:
underdawg wrote:Starters for SIU Salukis:

WE will be a heavily upperclassman team but here goes

PG 6'4" 176 Marcus Bartley--transfer from St. Louis--all stater from Decatur McAuther--can also shoot three well.

Guard: 6'5" 215 lb SEan Lloyd Mt. Zion prep--came on strong last year and averaged 8.7 ppg 3.3 Rbs--is a defensive stopper

Guard: 6'4" 190 lb Armon Fletcher 11.1 ppg last season

PF: 6' 8" 200 Thik Bol--9.1 ppg/ 6.8 rpg/ 2.3 blocks per game

C: 6' 10" 220 Kavion Pippen 10.5 ppg/ 7.3 rpg/ 1.9 Blocks per game

Other contributors: Red-shirt senior 6' 4" 198 Guard Tyler Smith Peters redshirted last year for injury--shot .405 from three; 6'6" 200 guard Jonathan Wiley; 6'3" Ed McGill averaged 11.6 ppg/ 5.6 assists/ 3.4 rbs starting on Panola Tx Juco Nationl tournament team

Under the radar may be 6' 6" guard Brendan Gooch (RS-Frosh) who started on Belleville Althoff State Championship team two years ago

Of course we'll miss Sean O'Brien

Left off soph guard Aaron Cook, who showed flashes of being a ball-hawking defender as a freshman. I'd like to see him crack the starting lineup sooner than later.
Re: Pippen, those stats obviously are JUCO stats, and there have been rumblings his eligibility is not a lock. Key for Southern will be if Fletcher can take another step forward and whether Bartley/Cook make PG play a strength. Guessing Salukis will be picked middle of the pack - right in Barry's comfort zone.

Just an Update: two key JUCO players Pippen and McGill are both here and eligible---and according to inside source BOTH may start. Pippen is 6-10 shot blocker-- so good luck to opponents trying to go inside against him and 6-8 Thik Bol. In a mild surprise I was told that 6-3 PG Eric McGill of Panola Tx JUCO will most probably start, against common wisdom that 6-4 St. Louis Transfer PG Marcus Bartley would be the number one spot---SIU now has one of the best sets of 1-3 spots in the League.

McGill 6-3, 185 great assist man that can also hit three--5.6 apg. Had 11 assists in one game at Panola

Bartley 6-4, 180 --will battle it out for PG and can hit three--may end up playing some 2 spot too
\
Junior, Sean Lloyd 6-5 215--tough defensive stopper, three star high school player who showed last year he can score some too

Armon Fletcher--has grown to 6-6 as the starting three spot, weight lifting program has him at 215 pounds

Tyler Smithpeters--6-4 200, great three point shooter and surprisingly good passer--fifth year Senior

Brendon Gooch--6-6, 201--good three point shooter and rebounder

Aaron Cook--6-1, 180--another great Defensive player--scored big time in high school
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » July 23rd, 2017, 12:41 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:It's too early to start all the POY/NOY projections, and as we all know, summer can change things due to injury, academics, late defections/additions. But in general we now know who the Valley is for 2017-18, and what the rosters look like for the most part. I'd be interested in someone from each University to give a snap shot of what their team looks like and some of the players they see as impacting things that might not be so obvious. We all know the top level returnees, but what I'd like to hear are the following:

1] Projected starters and top 8-10 rotation
2] A previous roster guy who was not a star but may be ready to take a leap forward
3] Under the radar recruit who might surprise, if not immediately, then as he develops
4] Most important addition and why
5] Most important subtraction and why[ doesn't have to be too brutal ]

1] Projected starters and top 8-10 rotation

5- Nick McGlynn, 6'8" Jr
4- Casey Schlatter 6'10" Jr
3- Ore Arogundade 6'3" Sr
2- Reed Timmer 6'1" Sr
1- De'Tae McMurray 6'2" Sr

Key reserves:

Kory Kuenstling 6'11" Jr
CJ Rivers 6'2" Sr
Jalen Gibbs 6'2" Fr
Graham Woodward 6'0" Sr
Antonio Pilopovic 6'7" Fr
Noah Thomas 6'1" Fr

2] A previous roster guy who was not a star but may be ready to take a leap forward

Nick McGlynn. He's really bulked up, and at the same time has improved his outside shooting.

3] Under the radar recruit who might surprise, if not immediately, then as he develops:

Jalen Gibbs. Late spring pick-up who averaged about 30 ppg in the Washington DC area. Have heard from the coaches that he will be hard to keep out of the line-up, despite Drake having 5 senior guards. Can shoot it and is pretty athletic....a few days ago he won the dunk contest in the Capital City League (summer league with Drake and Iowa State players plus a bunch of junior college and D2 players plus former college players)

4] Most important addition and why

New coaching staff. Looking at the record of the old coaching staff, this is pretty self-explanatory.

5] Most important subtraction and why (doesn't have to be too brutal)

Probably losing Billy Wampler. Previous staff did a terrible job recruiting guys between 6'4" and 6'7" (the heart of most good college teams). Wampler was the only returnee to fit into that range.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby underdawg » July 25th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Here is a picture gallery of SIU players for 2017-18 from yesterday's summer practice session

www.siusalukis.com/galleries/?gallery=2053
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » July 27th, 2017, 9:02 am

Bears had an open workout/scrimmage on Tuesday night. Nothing earth shattering in the way of developments to really report, but got a better feel for some of the newcomers seeing them against like competition/other D-1 athletes. Everyone here and healthy except for Greg Williams and the late juco walk-on Byrd. Williams was present but still recovering post another round of clean-up surgery on a hernia. He's lost a lot of weight and his status for the upcoming year[ and career in general] remains uncertain. Feel for the kid, 6'5-6'6 guard and very talented who has had almost 2 years running of complications. Byrd no one has commented on but my guess is he's completing summer course work at his juco and will report in fall. He's mostly a depth/insurance add at pg in case freshman Mustafa Lawrence isn't ready to backup Rousseau, although we also can slide Dixon over there as well.

Lawrence actually looks pretty solid, 6'0 and built like a defensive back. He's pretty confident, brash, and physically can compete at this level. I like his demeanor although I'm sure it will irritate some as well.

Two seniors , A. Johnson and J. Rhodes look really ready to lead the offense. Johnson is just in beast mode, while Rhodes, who quietly had a solid 1st year as juco transfer last year, is really shooting the ball confidently. At 6'6 with a very high release he can really spot up at the trey line and knock down shots.

Reggie Scurry, a juco transfer is shorter than we had hoped coming in about 6'5 -6'6, but he has extremely long arms, and is a very quick riser and will be a significant addition off the bench at the forwards.

Lot of solid veteran contributors in Dixon, Church, Kreklow, and the two grad transfers JD Miller a 6'2 guard who averaged 15 ppg at Howard last year, and the 7'1 Bhullar from New Mexico State.

And then we have Ronnie Rousseau back at pg who most of us would have picked as our best player heading into last year. Looked a little rusty with a 9 month layoff, but he's just so talented at 5'10 . With Alize gives us two of the best in the league at what they do.

And then there's CPL...... pretty much sums it up.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » July 29th, 2017, 8:52 pm

SIU 2017-18 returners Thik Bol and Armon Fletcher in last year dunkathon video

https://twitter.com/SIUSalukis/status/8 ... 1341391874
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball