Next Mid-Major Power?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Mid-Major Power?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 25th, 2017, 9:36 am

BCPanther wrote:There's no way GCU gets into the WCC. In what world do they fit in with a bunch of tiny private schools?

They're going to be in the WAC for the foreseeable future.

They're going to get in because they're going to be good. Gonzaga desperately wants a better conference. And, since its not realistic for Gonzaga to leave unless the MWC is going to be adding basketball only schools (Big East is not realistic) they are going to do what they have to better their situation.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rally » May 25th, 2017, 9:40 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:GCU won't be in the WAC for long. Gonzaga wants out of the WCC. Their location is a problem. Next best thing is adding a power. GCU will be WCC. GCU will force someone hand by being too good even if they are for profit.

The WCC is all private schools. They're not adding a public school, let alone a for-profit school.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » May 25th, 2017, 10:32 am

rally wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:GCU won't be in the WAC for long. Gonzaga wants out of the WCC. Their location is a problem. Next best thing is adding a power. GCU will be WCC. GCU will force someone hand by being too good even if they are for profit.

The WCC is all private schools. They're not adding a public school, let alone a for-profit school.

GCU isn't public. Publicly traded, yes lol.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 25th, 2017, 10:34 am

Mikovio wrote:
rally wrote:

GCU isn't public. Publicly traded, yes lol.

Even I didn't know that it is a private Christian college. Wow.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 25th, 2017, 10:35 am

Don't have to worry about that then, do we? just the for profit part.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » May 25th, 2017, 11:34 am

mule wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Interesting comments in an article suggesting what 5 teams might be the next Mid-Major Power:

1: Rhode Island
2: MTSU
3: Saint Mary's
4: ISUr
5: Vermont

http://bustingbrackets.com/2017/04/17/n ... or-powers/

Both the Mountain West and Missouri Valley have been struggling, and the annual challenge between the two conferences may need a shake up with the Shockers departing. Former perennial tournament teams like New Mexico, UNLV, and Northern Iowa have declined. This will open up the door for a new program to take over the top spot.

ISU has had plenty of transfer success and younger players will have chances to develop under coach Dan Muller. The departure of three seniors will hurt, but the Redbirds have proved they have a great player development staff. While the team hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament in since 1998, the MVC is wide open and Illinois State should be at the top of the conference.

Interesting that the author is a graduate of Illinois State.

No surprise the thing that jumped off the page to me was "have proved". 8-)
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 25th, 2017, 11:39 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
mule wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Interesting comments in an article suggesting what 5 teams might be the next Mid-Major Power:

1: Rhode Island
2: MTSU
3: Saint Mary's
4: ISUr
5: Vermont

http://bustingbrackets.com/2017/04/17/n ... or-powers/

Both the Mountain West and Missouri Valley have been struggling, and the annual challenge between the two conferences may need a shake up with the Shockers departing. Former perennial tournament teams like New Mexico, UNLV, and Northern Iowa have declined. This will open up the door for a new program to take over the top spot.

ISU has had plenty of transfer success and younger players will have chances to develop under coach Dan Muller. The departure of three seniors will hurt, but the Redbirds have proved they have a great player development staff. While the team hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament in since 1998, the MVC is wide open and Illinois State should be at the top of the conference.

Interesting that the author is a graduate of Illinois State.

No surprise the thing that jumped off the page to me was "have proved". 8-)

Dan Muller's Conference record in 5 years:

2012/2013: 8-10
2013/2014: 9-9
2014/2015: 11-7
2015/2016: 12-6
2016/2017: 17-1

I would say he has proved he can develop players (even when ones transfer out) and can also recruit talent into the program.

So yes "have proved" seems rather accurate in terms of player development, both in potential with recruits and development of players (Paris Lee, etc)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 25th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:

Are you a Grand Canyon Education, Inc. stockholder? I feel like every time I see your name, I know it's going to be a post about GCU. Trying to inflate that LOPE stock price? ;)

I wish I bought in on the ground floor. I think part of it is I LOVE Phoenix. I'm telling you though, they are primed to break out. You heard it here first...and second...and third!!! I think they are more primed than St. Mary's, NMSU, ISUr, UNI, Rhode Island, and everyone else (I already consider Dayton an elite along with VCU)

Must have been a huge Thunder Dan fan?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby goramblers2011 » May 25th, 2017, 3:32 pm

"Grand Canyon University: A glorious duty to Our Lord and a fiduciary duty to our shareholders!"
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 25th, 2017, 4:52 pm

goramblers2011 wrote:"Grand Canyon University: A glorious duty to Our Lord and a fiduciary duty to our shareholders!"

If you think about it churches are worse. At least schools like grand Canyon and liberty are educating and giving out legit college degrees to better the future. Churches just pass around a basket begging for donations to make you believe youre going to hell of you don't come on Sundays. They do nothing for the future. I could care less that a religious based institution is taking care of itself instead of relying on the insecurities of others.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball