Next Mid-Major Power?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next Mid-Major Power?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 24th, 2017, 8:30 am

UEACES80 wrote:Also keep in mind if the Suns and or ASU were to play better then that the Grand Canyon glitter would likely start to flake away. Also if Majerle truly does prove to be an outstanding coach and he were to be hired away by a P5 school - the GC folks better have a former Suns star on speed dial. John Doe won't interest the fans in PHX it would take Charles Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Tom Chambers, Steve Nash type to keep their attention. Just my opinion.

Why leave the one program in the country that can pay the highest salary of any university? if he proves it they'll pay him.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UEACES80 » May 24th, 2017, 8:54 am

Why? I doubt money is a major concern for Dan Majerle so it would be the challenge of winning in a P5 environment.

That said he played in the MAC so maybe he doesn't have any desire to go to a P5 job if they came calling.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 24th, 2017, 8:57 am

UEACES80 wrote:Why? I doubt money is a major concern for Dan Majerle so it would be the challenge of winning in a P5 environment.

That said he played in the MAC so maybe he doesn't have any desire to go to a P5 job if they came calling.

winning a championship as a mid-major would be a bigger accomplishment if money isn't a factor. I don't know what his personal goals are and he may well want to coach UNC when Williams retires or duke when mike retires. Who wouldn't. But, my guess is his next job will be as an NBA coach.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 24th, 2017, 11:07 am

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... an-majerle

talks about gcu becoming a mid-major basketball power
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 24th, 2017, 12:30 pm

ISUSOX13 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:uniftw - you hardly have a leg to stand on in this argument as your trend line is not exactly pointing up currently either.

These Redbird fans might be overly optimistic for an upcoming season full of uncertainty, but it appears you are too.

UNI fans are riding the hope that Carlson returns to form and Koch stays out of foul trouble. But, more importantly that you have competency in the backcourt to facilitate an offense who lost their leader last season.

The argument in mid-major power RIGHT NOW for 2017-2018 in this conference begins and ends with Missouri State (until you are reminded of their coach).

No point trying to win a pissing match with a guy who thought UNI football was going to win the national title last year.

He hates all things ISU and refuses to give credit to any Redbird team.

Good to know.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » May 24th, 2017, 8:27 pm

I would think about Denver as being a potential next Mid-Major power. They have an athletic budget that exceeds every MVC school (not too far below WSU, well above Bradley), their men's soccer team was ranked in the top 10 last season, and their Lacrosse team just made the NCAA Final Four. I think they have the potential to flip a switch any time they want and get serious about men's basketball. They have phenomenal facilities-- 7200-seat Magness Arena, 2500-seat Hamilton Gymnasium for volleyball and gymnastics, etc.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 24th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Denver has every resource to be a power....which makes me wonder why they haven't shown anything yet.

I know common sense says Grand Canyon has to turn into a power, but on general principle I refuse to think anyone in that WAC can actually make it.

I'm looking strongly at the Colonial. That league got its act together, so the next program to find the right hire is going to make a big move.

I'm also looking at Siena and Iona, two schools with modest recent success.

Schools like Vermont, FGCU, North Dakota St, Long Beach St, New Mexico St, Stephen F Austin...all fit the profile of a possible powerhouse down the road based on general expectation and on-course product, but their leagues are too weak to support them being year-in-year-out powers.

Depending on if/when Murray St comes over here, it's also possible Belmont and them turn the OVC into their personal playground for a couple of decades.

But really, the correct answer is UNI. They're one step below powerhouse at the moment...they just need to figure out how to turn their down years into NIT years, and to convert NCAA bids and NCAA wins at just a slightly higher rate.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 25th, 2017, 4:26 am

GCU won't be in the WAC for long. Gonzaga wants out of the WCC. Their location is a problem. Next best thing is adding a power. GCU will be WCC. GCU will force someone hand by being too good even if they are for profit.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » May 25th, 2017, 7:14 am

Here is part of some really good analysis posted by ml2 on the Valpo forum:

Interestingly, there are no mid-majors ranked between 46 and 64. Then, from 64 to 100 the majority of teams are in fact mid-majors (21 of the 36). So when we talk about "making the jump" it really is a major leap (not just an incremental step) to burst forth into this "elite" and "national" group. Below are the mid-majors who ranked in the top 100 on average over the last 6 years. This is the "best of the rest" group of programs that have done the most, WITHOUT making the leap into "elite" status. It seems likely to me that if another programs does move up, it will come from this group.

65. Northern Iowa - no one's done better, without breaking out nationally, than the Panthers.
67. Middle Tennessee 68. Davidson 71. Belmont 73. Harvard 74. Illinois State 76. New Mexico State 78. Richmond 80. St. Joseph's 81. Valpo 82. Iona 84. St. Bonaventure 85. SFA 86. Princeton 87. Akron 88. George Washington 93. Louisiana Tech 94. South Dakota St. 98. Vermont 99. UMass 100. Rhode Island

As stated it's hard "making the jump" to elite but these 3 would be the most likely of the Valley teams.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes Valpo to adjust to the MVC. Also...how agressively
UNI and ISUr respond to the void left by WSU.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby goramblers2011 » May 25th, 2017, 8:32 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:GCU won't be in the WAC for long. Gonzaga wants out of the WCC. Their location is a problem. Next best thing is adding a power. GCU will be WCC. GCU will force someone hand by being too good even if they are for profit.

Are you a Grand Canyon Education, Inc. stockholder? I feel like every time I see your name, I know it's going to be a post about GCU. Trying to inflate that LOPE stock price? ;)
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball