Great article

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Great article

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 3rd, 2017, 7:34 am

I've seen this touched on various forums but I have never seen the whole article posted, just excerpts.

The State of the College Basketball Union:
Scheduling, Budget and Bids
Prepared by Mark Adams
Date: May 25, 2017

Executive Summary
The investment necessary to secure multiple at-large bids by a league below the P5/Big East level is trending toward a minimum of a $3M investment per team based on recent selection results. In 2015 both Davidson and Boise State received at-large bids and both spent just under $3M on men’s basketball. Saint Mary’s was the lowest budget team selected as an at large bid for the 2017 NCAA tournament. The Gaels invested nearly $3M on their men’s basketball program as per the US Department of Education’s most recent report for the 2015-16 academic year. In the 2016 NCAA tournament, all at-large bid recipients spent over $5M on their men’s basketball budgets.

Here is the link to Mark Adams' Facebook post, in case anyone wants to see the way it was initially presented, or if anyone wants to engage directly with the author or post comments: https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams/p ... 28398001:0

edited
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Great article

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Great article

Postby RacerJoeD » June 3rd, 2017, 8:26 am

This sums up Murray States desire to move to the MVC and raise our budget accordingly. As the highest spender in our conference (aside from Belmont who pays their coach around $1M currently and is based in an expensive metro) we want to be among teams that share our desires for basketball excellence. "You are who you compete against."
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 3rd, 2017, 8:45 am

I definitely get why Murray wants to move up. I also get why Wichita wanted to move up. I'm discouraged by the fact that the MVC as a whole has to average 500K more per school to reach the $3-million threshold and $1-million more to reach the second tier of spending, which stops at $3.6-million. These are also the same numbers for ISUr as they are in the middle of the MVC pack. On the other hand, does it really matter if Murray moves up considering the MVC is only a 1-bid league in it's current state. The landscape has changed drastically in the last five years and the MVC is no more than a perennial 1-bid league barring a 29-4 team being upset in the conference tournament final.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » June 3rd, 2017, 10:17 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I've seen this touched on various forums but I have never seen the whole article posted, just excerpts.

That's probably because it's against the rules of every board, and breaks copyright law.

See Rule #9 on this board's rules
http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RacerJoeD » June 3rd, 2017, 10:19 am

Does it matter? Yes. Because you have a conference average within the top 100 RPI. People want to schedule you, your finances make more sense and the question then is reinvestment. This has been the mantra Murray has used in the past, parleying success into better facilities and naming rights. If you have a conference that is nearly all in the RPI top 100, you create pressure on the selection committee to include those teams, which means you are working against being a one bid league.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 3rd, 2017, 10:34 am

RacerJoeD wrote:Does it matter? Yes. Because you have a conference average within the top 100 RPI. People want to schedule you, your finances make more sense and the question then is reinvestment. This has been the mantra Murray has used in the past, parleying success into better facilities and naming rights. If you have a conference that is nearly all in the RPI top 100, you create pressure on the selection committee to include those teams, which means you are working against being a one bid league.

God, I hope so.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 3rd, 2017, 10:35 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I've seen this touched on various forums but I have never seen the whole article posted, just excerpts.

That's probably because it's against the rules of every board, and breaks copyright law.

See Rule #9 on this board's rules
http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122

Maybe they'll arrest me. In the future Ill plagiarize it a bit.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » June 3rd, 2017, 10:53 am

If any of those rules were followed very much, there wouldn't be a mvcfans.com.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » June 3rd, 2017, 11:00 am

Against the rules or not, thanks for posting. It was a good read!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » June 3rd, 2017, 11:02 am

ACECARD wrote:If any of those rules were followed very much, there wouldn't be a mvcfans.com.

As a moderator on this board, I can't remember the last time I've moderated or deleted a post. I was just pointing out to that poster why they have never seen the full article on other message boards, but only short excerpts of it.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball