Report: Horizon League has extended an offer to Murray State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Horizon League has extended an offer to Murray S

Postby Mikovio » June 26th, 2017, 5:08 pm

If NDSU and SDSU have so much money to spend on basketball why aren't they already spending it? If they were serious they wouldn't have just let their coaches bolt to Wright and Ohio. No thanks.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RacerJoeD » June 26th, 2017, 9:05 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:Financially no, but more so from a desire standpoint. I don't think they have administration that desires a continuous move up. Otherwise they would have leapt at the MVC the first time (or the second for that matter). They know that as of now their success is owed to one guy- Rick Byrd. And make nommistake, he is a Hall of Fame caliber coach. But he won't be there forever and they want to be in a position where success isn't fleeting when he goes.

Again, there's a big difference in cost between the round robin MVC which has been pitched to and declined twice by Belmont and the divisions based MVC, which Belmont would be joining this go-round especially with the OVC abandoning divisional play. As for future coaching searches wouldn't it be easier to attract and keep the next Rick Byrd in the MVC as opposed to the OVC? Belmont has to think strategically like this lest it run the risk of falling off the top of the one-bid OVC and make the success they now enjoy a distant memory. I think you'd be surprised by the answer out of Nashville this time.

There isn't enough cost difference to be the reason why not to accept the invitation twice.

As for coaching searches, there is no guarantee. I mean, take teams in the MVC now. How many have Hall of Fame coaches? And how many games does a poor coach win at the best team in the OVC? How much does a poor coach win as a mediocre team in the MVC?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » June 27th, 2017, 6:35 pm

IUPUI is joining the Horizon League THIS summer FYI
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniguy » June 28th, 2017, 10:01 am

isumvc1 wrote:IUPUI is joining the Horizon League THIS summer FYI

It kind of sucks for Summit League schools who have to adjust already created schedules. Especially spring sports like volleyball and soccer.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvfcfan » July 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

I think the best options are
A) Murray State and Oral Roberts
B) N Dakota St and S Dakota St

I've provided a map in the link below showing the current members and potential future members (just the 4 above).

https://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id=5hYsEn_8PX
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 1st, 2017, 2:26 pm

Give me the Dakota option then. Heck no to Oral Roberts unless they're a baseball only addition.That sucks because I REALLY want Murray State. Why can't Belmont or SLU realize that the Valley is the best place for them?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 1st, 2017, 4:15 pm

Murray State and St. Louis is obviously the best choice. But, St. Louis isn't coming. If you're going to.go outside the footprint and require plane trips might as well add GCU. They have everything and are poised to be the next Gonzaga. I don't care if they're for profit, means nothing. If you want to better the league then swallow your pride and better the league. Plus, GCU has the money to not require a travel partner so an NMSU addition isn't necessary but would be welcomed if they decide to go that direction.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » July 1st, 2017, 4:46 pm

Elgin seems to prefer 10 teams in the league. The Presidents control what he does, but I haven't seen themstand up to him or actually care much about what he does or wants.

I think as long as Elgin is in charge in the MVC office, the Valley will be a 10-team league.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 1st, 2017, 5:56 pm

Elgin needs to go. He views the MVC as a 9 when it's only a 5.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » July 1st, 2017, 5:59 pm

I prefer the Dakota option myself. Both schools (regardless of their budgets) have had good basketball teams the past several years and their football is really good too. (I'm aware the private schools don't care about football.)

Grand Canyon can stay in the WAC as far as I'm concerned. I like how some of you will complain about travel to Fargo, but then think that Las Cruces and Phoenix are reasonable choices.

From Cedar Falls, IA (closest MVC team); Brookings is a 5 hour drive and Fargo is a 6.5 hr drive.
From Evansville, IN (farthest); Brookings is a 12 hr drive and Fargo is a 14 hr drive.

Now let's compare that with NMSU and GCU.

From Springfield, MO (closest); Las Cruces is a 14.5 hr drive and Phoenix is an 18.5 hr drive.
From Valparaiso (farthest); Las Cruces is a 22 hr drive and Phoenix is a whopping 26 hr drive!

Evansville and NDSU would be the two schools the farthest apart and they are still closer together than what New Mexico State (forget GCU) would be to the closest MVC team (Missouri St). So I would definitely take the Dakota schools way before getting too ridiculous.

If we add include Murray State and Oral Roberts in this argument, then Valpo and Oral Roberts would arguably be the farthest apart at 10.5 hrs. But would we really not add the Dakota schools because of an added 3-4 hour drive. I highly doubt it. In fact I just sold myself on believing that we should add NDSU and SDSU ASAP and I have been highly suspect about it because of travel.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball