Report: Horizon League has extended an offer to Murray State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Horizon League has extended an offer to Murray S

Postby uniftw » June 26th, 2017, 6:45 am

The fact remains that outside of Murray State, the rest of who we could grab is likely going to suck balls in about 90 different ways.

As much as I, and I do as much/more than anyone else, bang on the Dakota's for not being MVC schools I think we are at a point where they are the best/next logical step.

NDSU's new arena is nothing but a multipurpose room with seats, but it's better than the Knapp and they own it - so a handful of teams don't have that. Chances are their attendance won't go up much, but we are looking at places like Belmont for a 12th - which actually has a smaller capacity than NDSU's place.

Is football going to being king, by a long shot, up there? Sure. Do they need to double (minimum) their budget to make the rest of us start to feel better? Absolutely. If there's one thing NDSU has is a fan base with money and no where else to spend it other than NDSU athletics. I know we don't really care about other sports as much as basketball, but they have a pretty solid T&F program, solid softball and baseball programs as well.

SDSU's renovation to Frost arena would make it one of the best arenas in the MVC. School owned, larger capacity, and the entire campus has been/will be rebuilt over the last 7 years and into the next 4. On top of their new football facility (which none of you care about) they built an indoor track facility that is at/near the top of the MVC. SDSU is also a basketball first school, and has been always been. The women's team is a top 25 caliber team as well.

Both schools offer every single mens sport - sans soccer - and womens sport and share a conference with the football schools (and UNI in wrestling - where NDSU and SDSU are top 25 programs...like UNI)

Murray State is the only option that is as good/better than them all around. The fact remains there isn't a private school out there that can touch what those two have/are accomplishing across an entire athletic department. Those two schools would probably dominate the Horizon, just as Valpo has the last 6 years. Those two would most definitely dominate the OVC as Murray and Belmont have.

I'd like to have Murray State as well, but the reality is that if we are going to add, it will be in pairs. Find a realistic 12th (meaning NOT Dayton, SLU, Marquette, etc...) to put with Murray State and compare the two combined resumes against the combined resume of the DSUs. Maybe UT-A or UALR comes close, I don't know enough about their secondary sports.

I know the reality is that the school presidents will never go for the Dakotas, because they are public and have football. However, it's getting to the point that if we actually start looking at total athletic departments, athletic department ceiling, spending, potential, etc... we see that the Dakota's aren't as far off of where we need our 11th and 12th to be.
Last edited by uniftw on June 26th, 2017, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » June 26th, 2017, 7:22 am

uniftw wrote:The fact remains that outside of Murray State, the rest of who we could grab is likely going to suck balls in about 90 different ways.

As much as I, and I do as much/more than anyone else, bang on the Dakota's for not being MVC schools I think we are at a point where they are the best/next logical step.

NDSU's new arena is nothing but a multipurpose room with seats, but it's better than the Knapp and they own it - so a handful of teams don't have that. Chances are their attendance won't go up much, but we are looking at places like Belmont for a 12th - which actually has a smaller capacity than NDSU's place.

Is football going to being king, by a long shot, up there? Sure. Do they need to double (minimum) their budget to make the rest of us start to feel better? Absolutely. If there's one thing NDSU has is a fan base with money and no where else to spend it other than NDSU athletics. I know we don't really care about other sports as much as basketball, but they have a pretty solid T&F program, solid softball and baseball programs as well.

SDSU's renovation to Frost arena would make it one of the best arenas in the MVC. School owned, larger capacity, and the entire campus has been/will be rebuilt over the last 7 years and into the next 4. On top of their new football facility (which none of you care about) they built an indoor track facility that is at/near the top of the MVC. SDSU is also a basketball first school, and has been always been. The women's team is a top 25 caliber team as well.

Both schools offer every single mens sport - sans soccer - and womens sport and share a conference with the football schools (and UNI in wrestling - where NDSU and SDSU are top 25 programs...like UNI)

Murray State is the only option that is as good/better than them all around. The fact remains there isn't a private school out there that can touch what those two have/are accomplishing across an entire athletic department. Those two schools would probably dominate the Horizon, just as Valpo has the last 6 years. Those two would most definitely dominate the OVC as Murray and Belmont have.

I'd like to have Murray State as well, but the reality is that if we are going to add, it will be in pairs. Find a realistic 12th (meaning Dayton, SLU, Marquette, etc...) to put with Murray State and compare the two combined resumes against the combined resume of the DSUs. Maybe UT-A or UALR comes close, I don't know enough about their secondary sports.

I know the reality is that the school presidents will never go for the Dakotas, because they are public and have football. However, it's getting to the point that if we actually start looking at total athletic departments, athletic department ceiling, spending, potential, etc... we see that the Dakota's aren't as far off of where we need our 11th and 12th to be.

Totally agree with you on the 11th and 12th options! I don't have anything against Murray St but am not real high on Belmont. The long term prospects of those two in the Valley trend towards ISUb and Evansville respectfully. The conference has to do better than that! NDSU and SDSU have the resources to compete in all sports and would most likely up the ante in basketball to match the upgrade in competition.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 26th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Not opposed to the Dakotas as options at all. In fact I believe that they could do a great deal for the competitiveness of the conference across the board. My one concern would be that their addition may increase the likelihood that the conference breaks apart one day because of various schools' FBS aspirations.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 26th, 2017, 4:55 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Financially no, but more so from a desire standpoint. I don't think they have administration that desires a continuous move up. Otherwise they would have leapt at the MVC the first time (or the second for that matter). They know that as of now their success is owed to one guy- Rick Byrd. And make nommistake, he is a Hall of Fame caliber coach. But he won't be there forever and they want to be in a position where success isn't fleeting when he goes.

Again, there's a big difference in cost between the round robin MVC which has been pitched to and declined twice by Belmont and the divisions based MVC, which Belmont would be joining this go-round especially with the OVC abandoning divisional play. As for future coaching searches wouldn't it be easier to attract and keep the next Rick Byrd in the MVC as opposed to the OVC? Belmont has to think strategically like this lest it run the risk of falling off the top of the one-bid OVC and make the success they now enjoy a distant memory. I think you'd be surprised by the answer out of Nashville this time.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » June 26th, 2017, 5:08 pm

If NDSU and SDSU have so much money to spend on basketball why aren't they already spending it? If they were serious they wouldn't have just let their coaches bolt to Wright and Ohio. No thanks.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » June 26th, 2017, 9:05 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:Financially no, but more so from a desire standpoint. I don't think they have administration that desires a continuous move up. Otherwise they would have leapt at the MVC the first time (or the second for that matter). They know that as of now their success is owed to one guy- Rick Byrd. And make nommistake, he is a Hall of Fame caliber coach. But he won't be there forever and they want to be in a position where success isn't fleeting when he goes.

Again, there's a big difference in cost between the round robin MVC which has been pitched to and declined twice by Belmont and the divisions based MVC, which Belmont would be joining this go-round especially with the OVC abandoning divisional play. As for future coaching searches wouldn't it be easier to attract and keep the next Rick Byrd in the MVC as opposed to the OVC? Belmont has to think strategically like this lest it run the risk of falling off the top of the one-bid OVC and make the success they now enjoy a distant memory. I think you'd be surprised by the answer out of Nashville this time.

There isn't enough cost difference to be the reason why not to accept the invitation twice.

As for coaching searches, there is no guarantee. I mean, take teams in the MVC now. How many have Hall of Fame coaches? And how many games does a poor coach win at the best team in the OVC? How much does a poor coach win as a mediocre team in the MVC?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » June 27th, 2017, 6:35 pm

IUPUI is joining the Horizon League THIS summer FYI
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniguy » June 28th, 2017, 10:01 am

isumvc1 wrote:IUPUI is joining the Horizon League THIS summer FYI

It kind of sucks for Summit League schools who have to adjust already created schedules. Especially spring sports like volleyball and soccer.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvfcfan » July 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

I think the best options are
A) Murray State and Oral Roberts
B) N Dakota St and S Dakota St

I've provided a map in the link below showing the current members and potential future members (just the 4 above).

https://www.scribblemaps.com/create/#id=5hYsEn_8PX
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 1st, 2017, 2:26 pm

Give me the Dakota option then. Heck no to Oral Roberts unless they're a baseball only addition.That sucks because I REALLY want Murray State. Why can't Belmont or SLU realize that the Valley is the best place for them?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball