isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Scheduling

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 4th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Good stuff so far from the Sycamores. Keep it up!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » August 4th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Updated for Missouri State

November 15 - Southern
November 17 - North Dakota State
November 20 - Gulf Coast Showcase (Germain, FL) (Penn, Towson, N. Ill. confirmed so far)
November 21 - Gulf Coast Showcase (Germain, FL)
November 22 - Gulf Coast Showcase (Germain, FL)
November 28 - Colorado State
December 2 - vs. South Dakota State (Sioux Falls)
December 4 - at North Dakota State
December 19 - Wright State

We know for sure we will have a sub D-1 game as a part of the GCS. I believe we will see a second one as well. Still looking for 2 more games. Given how good this team SHOULD be, I would like to see both on the road against BCS schools

As posted earlier, Auburn had a opening on December 19th and we fill ours with Wright State :roll:
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 4th, 2017, 9:42 pm

That's really disappointing for an expected frontrunner in the conference. Given the expected quality of Missouri State's roster, Auburn probably would have agreed to play you. The good news is that Alize Johnson should beast against that nonconference slate, which might inflate his stats and boost his draft stock. Getting him to the NBA could help recruiting. Just wish he could showcase himself against better competition. That would really help his stock.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » August 5th, 2017, 8:37 am

MSU schedule will come down to the quality of the 2 buy road games they are still trying to solidify. Lots of names bandied but nothing confirmed, so it's pretty pessimistic . Don't think they get a D-2 team in Gulf Coast Tourney as the schedule wouldn't seem to allow that unless it would be in Florida. That Tourney is very pedestrian with some ok mids but no name teams. Right now the only bad game is Southern, but Hampton is also rumored at home; SDST,NDST,CSU, and WST are 5 solid mid major games . You have to have a little knowledge of the ongoing process when looking at scheduling as Wright State was 20-12 and a 114 RPI I think, and offered a H/H, while Auburn was 18-14, 108 and offered a low $$ buy game, so WST is a smarter pick. Auburn probably has a better chance at RPI potential with a SEC schedule, but Wright State has been a consistent program over a number of years and a H/H would be hard to turn down given how hard scheduling is. Been very down on our scheduling during Lusk era, and unless he hits on the 2 road buys, this will be another failure on his part. If he gets 2 quality games, it becomes acceptable, but not what we really needed.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » August 5th, 2017, 10:59 am

BEARZ77 wrote:MSU schedule will come down to the quality of the 2 buy road games they are still trying to solidify. Lots of names bandied but nothing confirmed, so it's pretty pessimistic . Don't think they get a D-2 team in Gulf Coast Tourney as the schedule wouldn't seem to allow that unless it would be in Florida. That Tourney is very pedestrian with some ok mids but no name teams. Right now the only bad game is Southern, but Hampton is also rumored at home; SDST,NDST,CSU, and WST are 5 solid mid major games . You have to have a little knowledge of the ongoing process when looking at scheduling as Wright State was 20-12 and a 114 RPI I think, and offered a H/H, while Auburn was 18-14, 108 and offered a low $$ buy game, so WST is a smarter pick. Auburn probably has a better chance at RPI potential with a SEC schedule, but Wright State has been a consistent program over a number of years and a H/H would be hard to turn down given how hard scheduling is. Been very down on our scheduling during Lusk era, and unless he hits on the 2 road buys, this will be another failure on his part. If he gets 2 quality games, it becomes acceptable, but not what we really needed.

The sub D-1 game is a part of the tournament. Doesn't look like they have to be played before the tournament either.

From the GCS website:

Opening Games

As part of the tournament, a slate of “Opening Games” will be played at home sites:

Nov. 11 – Illinois Springfield @ Bradley
Nov. 15 – Allen University @ Wofford
Nov. 15 – Lebanon Valley @ George Mason
Nov. 16 – Angelo State @ Houston
Nov. 17 – Doane College @ South Dakota
Nov. 17 – Lyndon State @ Vermont
Nov. 18 – Hiram College @ Kent State
Nov. 25 – Medaille College @ Hofstra
Dec. 4 – Ave Maria @ FGCU

Smarter picks aren't going to help you get into the tourney from our end. Auburn provides the bigger name, the bigger possible reward. Beating Wright State does nothing for an at-large resume. Lusk doesn't have to worry about next year if he can't meet expectations this year anyways.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BEARZ77 » August 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm

That's last years format; now it may be this year's to, but I've not heard any mention of a home game for the Tourney, but I guess we'll see. I really don't know because there is zip info out there.

And names like Auburn don't mean squat in determining value. That's a fan thing.The score sheet the committee uses lists teams by rankings not by names. If you were talking a win against a top level basketball school, maybe some value to the name, but not a mid level SEC team. To me it's been clear for a number of years, the most important factor is top 50, then top 100 wins[ positively], and then sub 200, then sub 150 losses [negatively]. There would have been negligible value to a win vs Auburn as to Wright State last year because neither was a top 100. Now like I said, Auburn if good, has more potential for an RPI bump , but I'm just saying it's not such a big deal that Wright State made the schedule; besides that's assuming Auburn was even an option for us which we don't know. Just because they had an open date, didn't they opt out on a game with us a few years back??
As far as Lusk being gone if he doesn't meet expectations; I'll believe it when I see it. First expectations have not been clarified, they're pretty vague. "Challenge for a title, tourney worthy" My guess is 20 wins, a top 3 finish and an NIT or maybe even a step below and he's back. I've seen this play before.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 6th, 2017, 9:55 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:That's really disappointing for an expected frontrunner in the conference. Given the expected quality of Missouri State's roster, Auburn probably would have agreed to play you. The good news is that Alize Johnson should beast against that nonconference slate, which might inflate his stats and boost his draft stock. Getting him to the NBA could help recruiting. Just wish he could showcase himself against better competition. That would really help his stock.

I agree. Very disappointing schedule for a team that IMO has the talent (if not the coaching) to win the Valley and possibly even get an at large NCAA berth.

I also agree with Bearz in that my big fear for this coming year is that we are borderline good ie win around 20 games and not win the tourney and not make the NCAA's and yet that will be seen as "good enough" and Lusk will be retained or even given another extension. In reality with this roster and our history over the last 6 years nothing less than an NCCA berth or at least a conference title should be good enough.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to the season. Alize is a wonder and very exciting to watch. And we have lots of talent around him.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » August 6th, 2017, 11:59 am

BEARZ77 wrote:That's last years format; now it may be this year's to, but I've not heard any mention of a home game for the Tourney, but I guess we'll see. I really don't know because there is zip info out there.

And names like Auburn don't mean squat in determining value. That's a fan thing.The score sheet the committee uses lists teams by rankings not by names. If you were talking a win against a top level basketball school, maybe some value to the name, but not a mid level SEC team. To me it's been clear for a number of years, the most important factor is top 50, then top 100 wins[ positively], and then sub 200, then sub 150 losses [negatively]. There would have been negligible value to a win vs Auburn as to Wright State last year because neither was a top 100. Now like I said, Auburn if good, has more potential for an RPI bump , but I'm just saying it's not such a big deal that Wright State made the schedule; besides that's assuming Auburn was even an option for us which we don't know. Just because they had an open date, didn't they opt out on a game with us a few years back??
As far as Lusk being gone if he doesn't meet expectations; I'll believe it when I see it. First expectations have not been clarified, they're pretty vague. "Challenge for a title, tourney worthy" My guess is 20 wins, a top 3 finish and an NIT or maybe even a step below and he's back. I've seen this play before.

Like I said, Auburn is "bigger risk, bigger reward". We can't afford to play it safe anymore.

I agree with you on your last point.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » August 14th, 2017, 11:23 am

Battle 4 Atlantis Bracket is out. UNI will open with our old buddy Jank and SMU and then get the winner/loser of Arizona-NC State. Other side of the bracket is Purdue-Tennessee and Villanova-Western Kentucky.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball