Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Scheduling

Postby BEARZ77 » August 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm

That's last years format; now it may be this year's to, but I've not heard any mention of a home game for the Tourney, but I guess we'll see. I really don't know because there is zip info out there.

And names like Auburn don't mean squat in determining value. That's a fan thing.The score sheet the committee uses lists teams by rankings not by names. If you were talking a win against a top level basketball school, maybe some value to the name, but not a mid level SEC team. To me it's been clear for a number of years, the most important factor is top 50, then top 100 wins[ positively], and then sub 200, then sub 150 losses [negatively]. There would have been negligible value to a win vs Auburn as to Wright State last year because neither was a top 100. Now like I said, Auburn if good, has more potential for an RPI bump , but I'm just saying it's not such a big deal that Wright State made the schedule; besides that's assuming Auburn was even an option for us which we don't know. Just because they had an open date, didn't they opt out on a game with us a few years back??
As far as Lusk being gone if he doesn't meet expectations; I'll believe it when I see it. First expectations have not been clarified, they're pretty vague. "Challenge for a title, tourney worthy" My guess is 20 wins, a top 3 finish and an NIT or maybe even a step below and he's back. I've seen this play before.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » August 6th, 2017, 9:55 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:That's really disappointing for an expected frontrunner in the conference. Given the expected quality of Missouri State's roster, Auburn probably would have agreed to play you. The good news is that Alize Johnson should beast against that nonconference slate, which might inflate his stats and boost his draft stock. Getting him to the NBA could help recruiting. Just wish he could showcase himself against better competition. That would really help his stock.

I agree. Very disappointing schedule for a team that IMO has the talent (if not the coaching) to win the Valley and possibly even get an at large NCAA berth.

I also agree with Bearz in that my big fear for this coming year is that we are borderline good ie win around 20 games and not win the tourney and not make the NCAA's and yet that will be seen as "good enough" and Lusk will be retained or even given another extension. In reality with this roster and our history over the last 6 years nothing less than an NCCA berth or at least a conference title should be good enough.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to the season. Alize is a wonder and very exciting to watch. And we have lots of talent around him.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » August 6th, 2017, 11:59 am

BEARZ77 wrote:That's last years format; now it may be this year's to, but I've not heard any mention of a home game for the Tourney, but I guess we'll see. I really don't know because there is zip info out there.

And names like Auburn don't mean squat in determining value. That's a fan thing.The score sheet the committee uses lists teams by rankings not by names. If you were talking a win against a top level basketball school, maybe some value to the name, but not a mid level SEC team. To me it's been clear for a number of years, the most important factor is top 50, then top 100 wins[ positively], and then sub 200, then sub 150 losses [negatively]. There would have been negligible value to a win vs Auburn as to Wright State last year because neither was a top 100. Now like I said, Auburn if good, has more potential for an RPI bump , but I'm just saying it's not such a big deal that Wright State made the schedule; besides that's assuming Auburn was even an option for us which we don't know. Just because they had an open date, didn't they opt out on a game with us a few years back??
As far as Lusk being gone if he doesn't meet expectations; I'll believe it when I see it. First expectations have not been clarified, they're pretty vague. "Challenge for a title, tourney worthy" My guess is 20 wins, a top 3 finish and an NIT or maybe even a step below and he's back. I've seen this play before.

Like I said, Auburn is "bigger risk, bigger reward". We can't afford to play it safe anymore.

I agree with you on your last point.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » August 14th, 2017, 11:23 am

Battle 4 Atlantis Bracket is out. UNI will open with our old buddy Jank and SMU and then get the winner/loser of Arizona-NC State. Other side of the bracket is Purdue-Tennessee and Villanova-Western Kentucky.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » August 17th, 2017, 11:53 am

BCPanther wrote:Battle 4 Atlantis Bracket is out. UNI will open with our old buddy Jank and SMU and then get the winner/loser of Arizona-NC State. Other side of the bracket is Purdue-Tennessee and Villanova-Western Kentucky.

Go get em UNI, Jank is a very bad guy, anytime he loses, I'm happy...
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheDrake » August 17th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Drake released the full non-conference schedule today.

Coe College (D-3)
(N) Wake Forest
(N) Colorado/Quinnipiac
(N) TBD
Chicago State
@Omaha
@Wyoming
@South Dakota
Omaha
@Minnesota
(N) Iowa
@South Dakota St.
Maryland Eastern Shore
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Pretty good but why Omaha twice?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » August 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Pretty good but why Omaha twice?

Nobody on Drakenation has the answer for that. My guess is that both teams were having troubles filling their schedules and they're only about 110 miles apart, so easy fix for the scheduling problems without any serious travel necessary.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 17th, 2017, 7:47 pm

BCPanther wrote:Battle 4 Atlantis Bracket is out. UNI will open with our old buddy Jank and SMU and then get the winner/loser of Arizona-NC State. Other side of the bracket is Purdue-Tennessee and Villanova-Western Kentucky.

That is one heck of a boom/bust first game. Win and get on the right side of Arizona/Purdue/Villanova. Lose and get on the wrong side with NCSU/UT/WKU. That can make or break the entire at-large resume.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Majik45 » August 18th, 2017, 9:08 am

Bradley released it's non-conference schedule yesterday. Nothing to write home about, a couple of decent mid majors, and one road game at an SEC appointment.

vs. IUPUI
vs. Delaware
Bahamas Tournament (A bunch of Mid-major teams)
vs. Missouri S&T* (Bahamas Tournament filler)
vs. Georgia Southern
vs. Eastern Illinois University
@ San Diego St
vs. Little Rock
@ Chicago St
@ SEMO
@ Ole Miss
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball