Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Scheduling

Postby Cdizzle » June 26th, 2017, 11:57 am

From an actual MVC AD:
“Wichita State was an outlier in our conference because the Koch brothers supplied it with such an unlimited amount of resources. Wichita was operating in a different strata and that gave them an entrenched advantage. Everybody knew they’d win the conference every year and it made it more difficult to build solid programs. So losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.”

With losers like that bringing giant loser mentalities to the table, no wonder no one could compete. I thought more of Bradley's athletic department until I read that.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » June 26th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Dizzle, just stop. Saying the budget stuff didn't have an issue is actually ridiculous. Not all schools have charter planes for their coaches.

LU got screwed recently on scheduling, NC State is choosing to bye out their return game for last year. Porter was on ESPN Radio venting about it around the 1:30 mark: http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=19684298
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » June 26th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Blers wrote:Dizzle, just stop. Saying the budget stuff didn't have an issue is actually ridiculous. Not all schools have charter planes for their coaches.

LU got screwed recently on scheduling, NC State is choosing to bye out their return game for last year. Porter was on ESPN Radio venting about it around the 1:30 mark: http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=19684298

That's BS. Always get the game at home first is the lesson.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Blers wrote:Dizzle, just stop. Saying the budget stuff didn't have an issue is actually ridiculous. Not all schools have charter planes for their coaches.

If you don't want screwed, don't put a buyout in the contract...

It's not getting screwed. It's an excuse-train. Quotes like this indicate that at most a lot of schools are looking to be successful occasionally in a watered-down league. That is their benchmark of success. WSU raised the top of the league to nationally relevant. UNI hung around as occasional contributors in that range. This guy is saying competing in a regional bus league (not that MVC is yet) is better than trying to compete in a nationally relevant and competitive league cause that's hard.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » June 26th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

If you don't want screwed, don't put a buyout in the contract...

It's not getting screwed. It's an excuse-train.

Buying out is paying the penalty for breaking contract. It's almost always the same sum for both teams (100k if loyola backs, 100k if NC State backs). It's not like giving an opponent a waiver to bail. If you don't put a buy out in a contract then either team would be able to break contract without penalty. Also, to be clear i have no idea how much a game contract buy out is, I've just heard it's lower 6 figures.

Edit- I just saw you updated the original post, I get the not wanting to compete in a bus league and all that, but financially it would require some huge investment to compete. At this point the league is as level as it's been for a while (obviously not the level it once was), teams can see an opening to become a league power with a wide open road to the top spot. Some school will take advantage by seeing the value and going all in. Hopefully more than one within the next few seasons.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » June 26th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:From an actual MVC AD:
“Wichita State was an outlier in our conference because the Koch brothers supplied it with such an unlimited amount of resources. Wichita was operating in a different strata and that gave them an entrenched advantage. Everybody knew they’d win the conference every year and it made it more difficult to build solid programs. So losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.”

With losers like that bringing giant loser mentalities to the table, no wonder no one could compete. I thought more of Bradley's athletic department until I read that.

No other Valley schools have billionaire sugar daddies. And billionaire sugar daddies aren't matched by "gumption" or "sticktoitiveness." Wichita offers perks out of reach for other Valley schools. It could definitely be discouraging for an Indiana State with 25% of the budget of a conference mate. Most schools go into their conference tournament with some hope for an auto bid; not so much in the Valley the last few years.

Maybe some gumption and sticktoitiveness could turn Indiana State into a revenue generating machine down the road, but tell that to the senior whose career ends in St Louis in March.

BTW that's Bradley president Gary Roberts, former dean of Indiana University law school and leading national sports expert.

https://www.bradley.edu/inthespotlight/ ... 97cf30343b
Roberts has continued to practice law part-time throughout his academic career with a focus on antitrust and sports law. He has been a frequent commentator on broadcast and in print media on sports-related legal and business issues. He was the on-air legal analyst for the NFL network and a lead analyst for other national media outlets during the National Football League lockout in 2011. He has testified before Congressional Committees on nine occasions on sports matters.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » June 26th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Cdizzle wrote:If you don't want screwed, don't put a buyout in the contract...

Contracts can always be broken. A "buyout" aka a "liquidation clause" simply is an amount agreed upon between the parties for damages in the event a party breaches the contract. If there is no liquidation clause in the event of a breach, the amount of damages will simply be decided by a court. So you're always at risk of being screwed; buyouts just make it less messy.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » June 26th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Mikovio wrote:

No other Valley schools have billionaire sugar daddies. And billionaire sugar daddies aren't matched by "gumption" or "sticktoitiveness." Wichita offers perks out of reach for other Valley schools. It could definitely be discouraging for an Indiana State with 25% of the budget of a conference mate. Most schools go into their conference tournament with some hope for an auto bid; not so much in the Valley the last few years.

Maybe some gumption and sticktoitiveness could turn Indiana State into a revenue generating machine down the road, but tell that to the senior whose career ends in St Louis in March.

BTW that's Bradley president Gary Roberts, former dean of Indiana University law school and leading national sports expert.

Roberts has continued to practice law part-time throughout his academic career with a focus on antitrust and sports law. He has been a frequent commentator on broadcast and in print media on sports-related legal and business issues. He was the on-air legal analyst for the NFL network and a lead analyst for other national media outlets during the National Football League lockout in 2011. He has testified before Congressional Committees on nine occasions on sports matters.

Different mindsets I guess. Kentucky certainly has way more advantages and resources than we do but when we get them in March I want us to beat the s*** out of them. When they beat WSU I don't whine about how unfair their inherent advantages are, I want us to play them next year and get another shot. I'm sure Gregg and the team feels the exact same way.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 27th, 2017, 12:16 am

AndShock wrote:
Mikovio wrote:

Different mindsets I guess. Kentucky certainly has way more advantages and resources than we do but when we get them in March I want us to beat the s*** out of them. When they beat WSU I don't whine about how unfair their inherent advantages are, I want us to play them next year and get another shot. I'm sure Gregg and the team feels the exact same way.

You're taking the perspective of a fan and applying it to university presidents and ADs who have to deal with finances and budgetary realities. These two things don't inhabit the same sphere, so this perspective is not an appropriate frame of reference for this discussion. I'm sure as supporters of the universities fans and administrators are in lockstep on the issue of whether they'd like to beat the top dog; but the administrators know as the fans do as well to some degree that it's a very tall order.Just because you don't care about the advantages certain schools have doesn't mean they don't exist.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » June 27th, 2017, 9:22 am

Loyola's endowment is larger than half of the rest of the league combined. If there is any member in the league whose performance is crap and budget is embarrassing because they "don't care" (I wouldn't apply this to any other member), it is clearly them.

"Not all of us have charter planes" etc. etc. etc. doesn't work when you could, in fact, easily have charter planes with the resources at hand. Quotes like that are legit defenses for fans of Indiana State, not for Loyola.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball