Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Scheduling

Postby RacerJoeD » June 22nd, 2017, 1:56 pm

We are talking about scheduling, which is an issue for every Mid major team out there and focusing on Grand Canyon's schedule which has a TON of D1 home games. Would love to hear everyone's opinion on how your team does scheduling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWBo9oV ... e=youtu.be
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Scheduling

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scheduling

Postby BCPanther » June 22nd, 2017, 2:30 pm

UNI-

Anybody, anywhere, anytime. High level MTEs. Always have an at-large quality OOC schedule. Sometimes can be too aggressive and willing to spend too much time on the road in December.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » June 22nd, 2017, 2:32 pm

Is there any fan push back about not seeing your team play at home until January?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » June 23rd, 2017, 2:13 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Is there any fan push back about not seeing your team play at home until January?

Kind of. Last year was really the first year where season ticket holders were really upset because there wasn't a marquee home game.

The year before we had zero December home games but had North Carolina and Colorado State in November.

Jake is always going to error on the side of being too aggressive and the fan base supports that...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 23rd, 2017, 2:49 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNI-

Anybody, anywhere, anytime.

Not sure a program could more completely contradict this sentiment than by not filling out a full schedule.

Perhaps "some people, certain places, sometimes but definitely not all the time" would be a better fit.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 23rd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

Not sure a program could more completely contradict this sentiment than by not filling out a full schedule.

Perhaps "some people, certain places, sometimes but definitely not all the time" would be a better fit.

Give it up Cdizzle. Who cares. I would take their shortened schedule every day and twice on Sunday over a mediocre one with SWAC teams all over it.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 23rd, 2017, 3:05 pm

BCPanther wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:Is there any fan push back about not seeing your team play at home until January?

Kind of. Last year was really the first year where season ticket holders were really upset because there wasn't a marquee home game.

The year before we had zero December home games but had North Carolina and Colorado State in November.

Jake is always going to error on the side of being too aggressive and the fan base supports that...

BC knows this but I'm quite outspoken over our lack of games at home in December.

I've run the win % numbers for different periods of the season during Jake's time as head coach. I've got them stored somewhere but here's a rough (but real close) remembering of what they were:

Games played before December 5th (ish) UNI has a win% of like 74%
Games played between December 5th(ish) and Jan 3rd (ish...basically first or second conference game) UNI has a win % of about 46-47%
Games played between Jan 3rd and Feb 10th(ish) UNI has a win % of about 71%
Games played after Feb 10th UNI has a win % of like 74%

It's not a coincidence that the month of December is that much lower considering, IIRC we average 2 home games between November 30th and Jan 2nd. We fly from VA to the Bahamas to NM to South Padre Island to Hawaii to Virginia over the month of December because of how we schedule.

I think the average for games played in that block is like 9 - give or take a decimal point or two for the average. There are years that UNI has finished with 20-23 wins and had we not flown all over North America in the month of December we could have had 24-27 wins. That's not how Jake schedules though.

I'm also in the pretty small minority on my feelings on it. Mine objection isn't based on getting to see them in person, it's getting wins.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » June 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Give it up Cdizzle. Who cares. I would take their shortened schedule every day and twice on Sunday over a mediocre one with SWAC teams all over it.

So, schedule an RPI killing cupcake for the sake of having one extra game? Yeah, that makes sense.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » June 24th, 2017, 9:41 am

Please for the love of God stop pretending that actually matters.

RPI isn't relevant at all in that decision for UNI. There is no at large coming, no hope, never was. RPI has no factor in why they don't complete a schedule. sheesh
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » June 24th, 2017, 11:52 am

RPI may not be as relevant, but scheduling a win over a SWAC or MEAC team is not going to do anything to enhance UNI's resume. With UNC, Xavier, UNLV, Iowa State, Arizona (and two others from Atlantis) already on the schedule, the games are there if UNI can win some of them and then win in conference as well.

One thing is certain, scheduling a bunch of nobodies will do nothing, regardless of how well you do in conference play.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball