Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby BEARZ77 » July 7th, 2017, 8:26 am

Aargh wrote:I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

I watched teams like Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis leave the conference and be replaced by schools just transitioning from D2 (or college level - whatever they used to call it) to D1. When the Valley used to replace schools that had left, the reaction from WSU fans was often, "who? never heard of them". I doubt current MVC fans would be real thrilled if that was the type of replacement for WSU.

At one time the Valley was filled with schools similar to WSU. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa. Urban schools. WSU no longer really fit the image of the MVC. WSU has a lot more in common with the urban type of schools in the AAC than with the schools in "college towns". Athletic Department budsgets were also a bad match between WSU and the rest of the league.

I can't say that I will look back on WSU's departure from the Valley with much nostalgia, or sadness to see the long relationship end. Disappointment in the degradation of the league (even in the last decade) is more likely.

After the post I made about Baker/VanVleet before they had ever played a game and how well that turned out, I started another about Shamet/McDuffie. I'd be happy to keep MVC fans informed of the progress those two make before they leave for the NBA if the fans here would like that information.

Valid points all; I grew up a Valley fan in the 60's as I lived 45 minutes from St Louis and so followed SLU and the Valley before I attended MSU and long before they became a member. I appreciate WSU's perspective on what has happened with the Valley over the years, just not some of your fans blaming that on the Universities that simply took advantage of the opportunity in front of them to join. I think the timing for WSU's departure is right and good for both, and I think both will benefit.

I don't think we need posts about WSU players on this board because that info is readily available to anyone interested via the Shocker board, the AAC board, and news services. Given that, it would seem questionable as to the motivation for it be placed here anymore. If there hadn't been so many posts in the past year about how badly WSU wanted out and how little respect was afforded the remaining Valley schools, it might be different, but I doubt so. JMO
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MVCfans » August 5th, 2017, 7:47 am

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 5th, 2017, 9:25 am

MVCfans wrote:Image

Hahaha is that for real??
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » August 5th, 2017, 11:04 am

COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » August 5th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Unfortunately it was real. The water tower is the city's and they had a contractor reprint the tower as part of maintenance. They think the contractor was working late to get it done and mixed up the stencils. It has been fixed.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MSUDuo » August 6th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Yeah, they mixed up an 'E' and a "Y"...right
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BradleyFan71 » August 8th, 2017, 11:29 am

MSUDuo wrote:Yeah, they mixed up an 'E' and a "Y"...right

And apparently didn't notice until it was completed?
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » August 9th, 2017, 1:01 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:

According to the site manager they were working after dusk and he didn't notice until he arrived at 6am the next day. I'm guessing the workers are not fluent in English. The company was out of Ohio.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby All-MVC Fan » August 10th, 2017, 10:45 am

RoyalShock wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:

According to the site manager they were working after dusk and he didn't notice until he arrived at 6am the next day. I'm guessing the workers are not fluent in English. The company was out of Ohio.

You gotta admit, that's pretty bad. I don't care if it was 2 in the morning!!! :huh:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MOST » August 10th, 2017, 4:05 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Image

Hahaha is that for real??

20+ years ago they were taping a video advertisement for the KC Chiefs. A crew was in the end zone laying out and painting a big "CHIEFS" logo. During the painting you could not see the whole "CHIEFS" logo. When the work was completed an on looker asked the paint crew "who are the "CHEFS"? No I. A long time belly laffer!
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball