Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby Born2Shock » June 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm

glm38 wrote:Interesting read.

My favorite memory is the last regular season game of 2011. WSU vs MSU. Tied for first. Winner take all. Best college basketball game I've ever seen live. I would think that even if we had lost. But we won it in a close well played game.


I drove down to Springfield for that game, and sat a couple rows behind the WSU bench. It was a fantastic game. I was disappointed in the outcome, but both teams left it out on the floor. It was too bad neither one of those teams played in the NCAA tourney, as I think both couldve done some damage.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 82
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby shocktheheart » June 30th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Bmarq04 wrote:Is it just me or are shocker fans beginning to equal that old college freshman who constantly comes back to try to get into high school parties? They tell us all about how drunk they get every night and how much they get laid, but they still keep coming back to the high school party. They are so insistent on telling us how great they are, but they fail to realize we just don't care.

If the grass is truly greener on the other side, why do you keep coming back here? I know some of you will say that you're mvc fans, but then you rip on the current members. I would have guessed for as much crap as some of you gave creighton fans for doing the same, that you might have been a little classier.


So the MVC is a high school and the AAC is a college in your analogy?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
User avatar
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 1:43 pm
Location: Wichita

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby musiccitybulldog » June 30th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Another great WSU and Drake game I remember was the 1980-81 game in Des Moines. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Ozell Jones and I think Smithson was the coach and possible his son played the guard position.

It was a battle between the Wichita players, which seemed like they could have started on most NBA teams, and Lewis Lloyd, Pop Wright and Ron Angell stand out in my mind.

Was a lot of people (huge crowd) screaming and hollering and the excitement of a close lead changing game in Vets Auditorium.

Drake ended up losing by 1, I think.

I also think Wichita State beat Iowa and Kansas in the NCAA tournament that year.
One of the Iowa players called a time out with little time left and drew a technical, due to no time outs left..
musiccitybulldog
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 788
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby AndShock » June 30th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I always wanted to take a visit to see Wichita State play in the all the MVC arenas, I figured I had a lifetime to do it. I only made it to SWOMO (new and old arena), Drake, and Creighton. Really wanted to make it to UNI but it never quite worked out. Wish I had gone to SIU in '05 or '06, that would've been fun. Hopefully I can take a trip to some AAC arenas before that conference (or college sports itself) implodes. Philly or Nawlins (etc etc) are at least a little easier to talk myself into than Carbondale or Terre Haute.
AndShock
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 866
Joined: August 9th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby mvcfan » July 1st, 2017, 9:44 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:Another great WSU and Drake game I remember was the 1980-81 game in Des Moines. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Ozell Jones and I think Smithson was the coach and possible his son played the guard position.

It was a battle between the Wichita players, which seemed like they could have started on most NBA teams, and Lewis Lloyd, Pop Wright and Ron Angell stand out in my mind.

Was a lot of people (huge crowd) screaming and hollering and the excitement of a close lead changing game in Vets Auditorium.

Drake ended up losing by 1, I think.

I also think Wichita State beat Iowa and Kansas in the NCAA tournament that year.
One of the Iowa called a time out with little time left and drew a technical, due to no time outs left..


I go way back and remember these games. I remember a lot of nationally relevant MVC battles. The F4 Drake team (in 69 I think) with Dolph Pulliam and Maury John, the game in 1964 to break a tie in the MVC and WSU won and went on to the F4 that year, the nationally ranked Bradley teams of the 60's with Chet Walker and 80's and 2006, the SIU teams (of 2006-? I think), not to mention the national MVC battles against ranked teams such as Louisville, Memphis State, Cincinnati, and Tulsa. A lot of great memories and great battles. Good Luck to all of the Valley teams in the future.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 622
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby mvcfan » July 1st, 2017, 12:42 pm

Two other memories that made the MVC fun during the past decade, that I thought about after I posted were MSU in 2011 (already mentioned), and the MVC year where UNI (during the 2014-15 I think) and the Shockers went down to the wire. National television came to Wichita for Game Day, and that was a fun memory also. Again, Good Luck to the Valley. :Cheers:
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 622
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby Aargh » July 1st, 2017, 1:41 pm

I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

I watched teams like Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis leave the conference and be replaced by schools just transitioning from D2 (or college level - whatever they used to call it) to D1. When the Valley used to replace schools that had left, the reaction from WSU fans was often, "who? never heard of them". I doubt current MVC fans would be real thrilled if that was the type of replacement for WSU.

At one time the Valley was filled with schools similar to WSU. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa. Urban schools. WSU no longer really fit the image of the MVC. WSU has a lot more in common with the urban type of schools in the AAC than with the schools in "college towns". Athletic Department budsgets were also a bad match between WSU and the rest of the league.

I can't say that I will look back on WSU's departure from the Valley with much nostalgia, or sadness to see the long relationship end. Disappointment in the degradation of the league (even in the last decade) is more likely.

After the post I made about Baker/VanVleet before they had ever played a game and how well that turned out, I started another about Shamet/McDuffie. I'd be happy to keep MVC fans informed of the progress those two make before they leave for the NBA if the fans here would like that information.
User avatar
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1872
Joined: August 16th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 1st, 2017, 2:43 pm

I can remember more disappointing losses than exhilarating wins.

There is one game that I will never forget.

It was a Shocker game against Drake.

It was the year that Drake won the conference.

Drake had a point guard. I forget his name, but it sounded like Emmenecker or similar.

The guard had a field day against the Shockers. The Shockers absolutely could not defend him to save their souls.

I also remember the Aces game in Wichita. It was mentioned above. The Aces' best player had an outstanding shot making night. The Shockers had zero answers for defense. He drilled every shot. I wanted so badly for the Shockers to double team him.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 7:41 am

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby glm38 » July 1st, 2017, 6:50 pm

Born2Shock wrote:
glm38 wrote:Interesting read.

My favorite memory is the last regular season game of 2011. WSU vs MSU. Tied for first. Winner take all. Best college basketball game I've ever seen live. I would think that even if we had lost. But we won it in a close well played game.


I drove down to Springfield for that game, and sat a couple rows behind the WSU bench. It was a fantastic game. I was disappointed in the outcome, but both teams left it out on the floor. It was too bad neither one of those teams played in the NCAA tourney, as I think both couldve done some damage.


I agree. Both teams were better than the ISUb team that won the tournament and got in IMO.
User avatar
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby glm38 » July 1st, 2017, 6:52 pm

Aargh wrote:I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

I watched teams like Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis leave the conference and be replaced by schools just transitioning from D2 (or college level - whatever they used to call it) to D1. When the Valley used to replace schools that had left, the reaction from WSU fans was often, "who? never heard of them". I doubt current MVC fans would be real thrilled if that was the type of replacement for WSU.

At one time the Valley was filled with schools similar to WSU. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa. Urban schools. WSU no longer really fit the image of the MVC. WSU has a lot more in common with the urban type of schools in the AAC than with the schools in "college towns". Athletic Department budsgets were also a bad match between WSU and the rest of the league.

I can't say that I will look back on WSU's departure from the Valley with much nostalgia, or sadness to see the long relationship end. Disappointment in the degradation of the league (even in the last decade) is more likely.

After the post I made about Baker/VanVleet before they had ever played a game and how well that turned out, I started another about Shamet/McDuffie. I'd be happy to keep MVC fans informed of the progress those two make before they leave for the NBA if the fans here would like that information.


Sure. I have an interest in both Shamet and McDuffie.
User avatar
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby underdawg » July 6th, 2017, 2:39 am

8-) It doesn't bother me much when former league affiliated posters brag a bit and giving their old league faint praise--it happened with several other recent teams with varying results (Creighton did well eventually without their coaches son but Tulsa has never really taken off since leaving)--I'm satisfied with the acquisition of Valpo both from the basketball standpoint and academics--remember there will be extra money coming in from the NCAA soon corresponding to how well teams and leagues graduate their players

The shocks are a great program now--the key will be how they respond if their coach moves on some day--things happen in cycles usually, with teams going up and down--I do remember SIU winning a few before and as few years after their current coach came to Wichita, so it can happen both ways
underdawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 121
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 6th, 2017, 6:56 am

What makes the sport and the conference interesting is that things do change. To think it won't or don't is a mistake. It wasn't even 10 years ago I was sitting at the conference tournament watching Wichita struggle, the coach got the boot on a couple technicals and I mentioned to my wife "its hard to believe it's come to this at WSU". Well things change. I can remember thinking no one will ever beat SIU in Carbondale. Then followed a period where the Bulldogs had a run in Carbondale.
So with hires that work out-hires that don't, walk on's that become all american's, players that transfer, it can be hard to predict. But things will almost certainly change.
musiccitybulldog
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 788
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 2:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests