Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby musiccitybulldog » June 29th, 2017, 7:47 am

My favorite WSU game had to be the 93-86 Drake victory in three overtimes a few years ago.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » June 29th, 2017, 9:48 am

My favorite WSU games came in the 2012-13 season when the Aces beat them home, and away. I don't think to this day they have ever come the conclusion that it ever happened. They have their memories, and we have ours. I look forward to the day that I don't have to give a chit whether WSU wins, or loses a basketball game.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 29th, 2017, 10:02 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:My favorite WSU game had to be the 93-86 Drake victory in three overtimes a few years ago.

That game was nutty.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » June 29th, 2017, 12:55 pm

ACECARD wrote:My favorite WSU games came in the 2012-13 season when the Aces beat them home, and away. I don't think to this day they have ever come the conclusion that it ever happened. They have their memories, and we have ours. I look forward to the day that I don't have to give a chit whether WSU wins, or loses a basketball game.

I will always remember the home game because it was the one time I had the opportunity to get floor seats right behind the bench. If the Shockers were to win, I would have got to go back to the locker room. I remember Demetric Williams getting a steal and layup and I thought the ground was going to collapse underneath me and the noise literally hit a point where you hear absolutely nothing. I can't imagine what the floor has sounded like in games against real opponents. Hopefully I will get the opportunity for some floor seats against an AAC opponent or two.

Shocker fans know the game happened, but the game didn't matter. The shellacking we got at home against Indiana State that year didn't matter. I have no recollection of the loss @ Evansville. Looking at the schedule, I don't remember any of our home Valley wins from that season, because they didn't matter. Maybe the Creighton win at home was the blackout game? If it was, I remember that one because it was a fun experience. We've played around 40 games a season the last 7 years or so. I don't remember every win and every loss. I'm glad the Shockers were able to give you a lifelong memory and a favorite game. I literally have zero "favorite" Evansville games. I have some favorite SWOMO, UNI, Bradley, ISUr, SIU, Creighton games. Even a favorite ISUb game. No favorite Evansville game.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » June 29th, 2017, 1:09 pm

ACECARD wrote:My favorite WSU games came in the 2012-13 season when the Aces beat them home, and away. I don't think to this day they have ever come the conclusion that it ever happened. They have their memories, and we have ours. I look forward to the day that I don't have to give a chit whether WSU wins, or loses a basketball game.

Take comfort in knowing that UE worked its way into WSU fans' vernacular.

"Getting Evansvilled" definition: playing a post turtle and knowing that regardless of a win or loss, it will damage the RPI and hurt the seeding. I don't recall those specific games, but I do frequently recall "Getting Evansvilled" twice and sometimes 3x per year.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Dean Wormer » June 29th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Veritas wrote:

Take comfort in knowing that UE worked its way into WSU fans' vernacular.

"Getting Evansvilled" definition: playing a post turtle and knowing that regardless of a win or loss, it will damage the RPI and hurt the seeding. I don't recall those specific games, but I do frequently recall "Getting Evansvilled" twice and sometimes 3x per year.

Seems like they worked their way into your vernacular long before that...I wonder what Ben Christensen's favorite Evansville memory is?
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » June 29th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:My favorite WSU game had to be the 93-86 Drake victory in three overtimes a few years ago.

That game was nutty.

I remember a Drake-Wichita game in the late 70s that Drake won 117-114 in double OT. This was before the shot clock and 3-point shot. MVC basketball was run-and-gun back in the day.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby UEACES80 » June 29th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Wichita - seems to ring a bell. Maybe they were a member of the MVC at some point in the past. Oh yeah the dirty baseball tactics that's what I remember about them and don't miss.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » June 29th, 2017, 6:19 pm

That poor lady who committed suicide at the Ford Center a couple years ago by throwing herself, face first, onto Marty's seat just as he was beginning his descent. I'll never forget it.

Heard her soul literally popped like a grape and the Mule simply flatulated her into oblivion moments later.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball