What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby TheDrake » July 12th, 2017, 8:42 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Sorry, drakey. Your sad team is a low major. Face it. We're not talking 5 or even 10 season. Thirty. Three decades of crap. Let me put it another way. Your new coach came from Furman because the South Dakota coach said no. The same conference the coaches are leaving for Wright state said no to Drake and took less salary to do so. Not just a low major but a very low major.

Wait, I must have missed it. Why are you being a dick?
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 12th, 2017, 9:11 am

I'm just emphasizing being in a mid major conference doesn't make you a mid major. Same as being in a high conference doesn't make Georgia tech or tcu a high major. The whole process is messed up.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 12th, 2017, 10:38 am

I believe the answer to this question is obvious. Maybe it is to me because we were season ticket holders at an ACC school for a period of time. It is totally apples and oranges. Look at the P5 schools records, School size, the competition, home crowd size, TV deals, regional market draw, big football stadiums and on and on.

Sure you have mid-major schools make runs and have competitive teams in one sport or another. That's great.

I don't take offense to the mid-major term, it's just explanatory. The term doesn't belittle what any school is trying to accomplish or does accomplish.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » July 12th, 2017, 11:00 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Sorry, drakey. Your sad team is a low major. Face it. We're not talking 5 or even 10 season. Thirty. Three decades of crap. Let me put it another way. Your new coach came from Furman because the South Dakota coach said no. The same conference the coaches are leaving for Wright state said no to Drake and took less salary to do so. Not just a low major but a very low major.

You talk as if you are a fan of Kansas or Duke. In the grand scheme of things neither Drake or Illinois State, who I assume is your team, are of much relevance in NCAA basketball. I don't think the Redbirds have even been in the NCAA tournament this century have they? I have generally spent my time trying to build up other Valley teams instead of tearing them down. I hope that Bradley lands great recruits and that Missouri State wins all of their non-conference games. I have met many ISU fans and understand that you are not representative of the general fan base.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 12th, 2017, 11:07 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I'm just emphasizing being in a mid major conference doesn't make you a mid major. Same as being in a high conference doesn't make Georgia tech or tcu a high major. The whole process is messed up.

Tell me if I am wrong, but isn't Drake, Indiana State and UNI the only Valley schools that have been to the NCAA tournament in the last 10 years? It usually takes that to be noticed or at least talked about for a while.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 12th, 2017, 11:44 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I'm just emphasizing being in a mid major conference doesn't make you a mid major. Same as being in a high conference doesn't make Georgia tech or tcu a high major. The whole process is messed up.

Tell me if I am wrong, but isn't Drake, Indiana State and UNI the only Valley schools that have been to the NCAA tournament in the last 10 years? It usually takes that to be noticed or at least talked about for a while.

Congrats on that drake on 1 appearance in the past 46 years and 4 season of winning basketball in the last 30. You're still a low major.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » July 12th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:

Congrats on that drake on 1 appearance in the past 46 years and 4 season of winning basketball in the last 30. You're still a low major.

It is pointless to debate this with you as you don't have a good understanding of college basketball. There are some things you can't understand until you've lived more than 15-16 years.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 12th, 2017, 2:37 pm

If Duke spends $20-million per season but has a losing record in 26 out of the next 30 seasons I guarantee they won't be considered a high major anymore but by conference. Just like whatever doormat high major team there currently is. It's not just about money or conference or wins. Its about being able to accomplish all 3 with some degree of respect. Sure, they'll be a major name but not team. Which is why it's stupid to pigeon hole into three categories. You need at least 4 or 5.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » July 12th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Again, why do you need more categories? What are you trying to accomplish with more categories? There is no way to clearly define them, so why even bother? Last time I checked, Duke, Illinois State and Drake were all classified as Division 1 teams. Why further dillute it?

No one in the Valley is low major by any definition, but it is clearer with each post you are a low information poster.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 12th, 2017, 3:34 pm

In an ideal world d1 would be enough. The committee on the other hand doesn't think so. And, they're the ones that matter. And, your diss to my intelligence doesn't effect me. I'm good with my opinion. We're able to disagree and debate. Trump hasnt taken that away has he? May have. Who knows.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball