What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby ACECARD » July 11th, 2017, 2:40 pm

[url][/url]
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I don't care if drake invests $1-billion per year. They have 4 winning seasons in the past 30 years and only 1 of those being a 20 win season. They are a low major program. Period.

I would have to agree. My definition of a mid, high, or low major would have to be based on results, not how much money they spend. Would the Shockers have been rated as a high major back when they sucked as much as much as Drake, and the Aces have?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby C0|db|00ded » July 11th, 2017, 2:49 pm

[quote="bigdawg"]It's comical that for the bluster that Cold and some Shox fans have toward us, that they have such little man syndrome when it comes to Creighton.[/quote]

Indeed. We think about BJ each and every day of the basketball season since we left them in the dust back in 2012. Most of the thoughts are pity. The nasty ones like me just laugh at their continued ineptitude at accomplishing anything of worth - when it matters. They truly are, the King of One and Dones.

Our addition to the AAC will create more stability which should greatly boost the RPI. There's a ton more money behind many of the programs in the AAC versus the Big Pee. It's generally a wise bet to put your money... where the money is. Football in the AAC is surging, there's a ton of potential in basketball. Hopefully our addition will allow more of that to be realized. When the AAC is clicking on all cylinders, it's not even going to be a contest with the Pee.

Are we really supposed to believe that the new brand of Pee is the same as the original Big East? Get real. There are a bunch of old Big East dregs who are winning more because they aren't getting hammered year in and year out by teams that left for the AAC and ACC. I mean Providence? Really? :lol: Then you add in some solid mid-major teams like BJ, Xavier, and Butler and you have this super mid-major league that is gaming the RPI really well. It's an interesting dynamic that is working for the moment, but there is nobody calling them a major conference a la ACC, B1G, SEC, etc. In fact, there are unlimited articles at your fingertips discussing the "respect" issue with the Pee. There is no respect issue at all. The Big Pee is not the Big East, they just spent 100 million to buy the name lol. A ton of money that UCONN, Cincy et al are currently spending.

We'll see what happens, but the real worry for me is when the B12 media deal runs out. Without football WSU could be in a world of hurt in about 7 years if the AAC gets raided. Then I guess we get laughed at. But we had to leave the MVC when we did. The speed at which it was sliding into the abyss was increasing. Maybe in 7 years Shocker fans will be buying rosaries and begging the Big Pee to give us a home. :Bam: Things are definitely going to get interesting.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » July 11th, 2017, 2:56 pm

[quote="ACECARD"][url][/url][quote="Jsnhbe1Birds"]I don't care if drake invests $1-billion per year. They have 4 winning seasons in the past 30 years and only 1 of those being a 20 win season. They are a low major program. Period.[/quote]
I would have to agree. My definition of a mid, high, or low major would have to be based on results, not how much money they spend. Would the Shockers have been rated as a high major back when they sucked as much as much as Drake, and the Aces have?[/quote]

We're high-major because we spend - heavily on basketball. Drake doesn't invest a billion per year because if they did they wouldn't be Drake. East Carolina is the Drake in our new conference and their athletic budget is 45 million per.

T

C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » July 11th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Really the biggest question with the AAC is which program or coach gets hit with NCAA sanctions first. Has there ever been a bigger collection of ex NCAA sinners herded under one conference banner than these schools and coaches. From programs like SMU, Memphis, Houston, WSU, to coaches like Sampson, Haith, and the now departed Brown, this is more like Sin City than a conference. Hell even U Conn was held of post season recently for poor academic progress in men's basketball . Should be interesting to watch, somebody[s] gonna get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Too much pressure to move their programs further up the line to not do what they've always done.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » July 11th, 2017, 4:26 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:The Big Pee can't be a power conference... they don't have football.

The American is part of the Power 6. Don't believe me? We have helmet stickers to prove it. Seriously though, the American put more players in the NFL draft than the B12 this year... that isn't going over well with the establishment.

Wichita State is the red-headed step-child but appreciates the scheduling upgrade. The Big Pee might be slightly more strong on average from top to bottom in basketball, but they have no brand names except Villanova and Georgetown - Georgetown being lost in the wilderness. With the AAC having Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Wichita State, Temple, and SMU... we're looking good in the branding department. The Big Pee is mostly filled with the dregs of the old Big East as well as some respectable mid-majors in Creighton, Butler, and Xavier. Now that we've strengthened their basketball product, the American won't be giving anything up to the Big Pee in at-large bids. Expect the AAC to pull home at least 4 this year.

On a side note: It's interesting how we've been treated in the AAC. I didn't realize how big our brand had become. They've really made a big deal out of Wichita State joining the conference... a conference with multiple national championship winners. While we hold our own on the forums, we get hammered too. You'd think someone like myself would feel uncomfortable having smack laid down on my school with authority but you'd be wrong. It feels good.

T

AAC made it a big deal by putting up a billboard? WSU gets hosed coming and going $$$ wise. What is WSU's % of the TV revenue going to be when it can first start collecting it in 2020? No one is saying.
They can't afford to buy out the single most embarrassing coaches contract (2nd was Jody Adams) that has set the baseball program back to the days it didn't exist.
Everything is fine in BJ land. Miss reliving the days with you discussing how the Rolling Stones concert made Wichita a Major city.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Veritas » July 11th, 2017, 5:31 pm

ictjay wrote:
C0|db|00ded wrote:The Big Pee can't be a power conference... they don't have football.

The American is part of the Power 6. Don't believe me? We have helmet stickers to prove it. Seriously though, the American put more players in the NFL draft than the B12 this year... that isn't going over well with the establishment.

Wichita State is the red-headed step-child but appreciates the scheduling upgrade. The Big Pee might be slightly more strong on average from top to bottom in basketball, but they have no brand names except Villanova and Georgetown - Georgetown being lost in the wilderness. With the AAC having Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Wichita State, Temple, and SMU... we're looking good in the branding department. The Big Pee is mostly filled with the dregs of the old Big East as well as some respectable mid-majors in Creighton, Butler, and Xavier. Now that we've strengthened their basketball product, the American won't be giving anything up to the Big Pee in at-large bids. Expect the AAC to pull home at least 4 this year.

On a side note: It's interesting how we've been treated in the AAC. I didn't realize how big our brand had become. They've really made a big deal out of Wichita State joining the conference... a conference with multiple national championship winners. While we hold our own on the forums, we get hammered too. You'd think someone like myself would feel uncomfortable having smack laid down on my school with authority but you'd be wrong. It feels good.

T

AAC made it a big deal by putting up a billboard? WSU gets hosed coming and going $$$ wise. What is WSU's % of the TV revenue going to be when it can first start collecting it in 2020? No one is saying.
They can't afford to buy out the single most embarrassing coaches contract (2nd was Jody Adams) that has set the baseball program back to the days it didn't exist.
Everything is fine in BJ land. Miss reliving the days with you discussing how the Rolling Stones concert made Wichita a Major city.

In modern times (and maybe all time) the BJs greatest claim to fame is reaching the Round of 32 and beating Nebraska. Priceless! What a bunch of underachievers. You robbed legit teams by winning the MoVal conference Tournament and kept those legit teams from enhancing the MoVal reputation. What a joke!
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mule » July 11th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Veritas wrote:
ictjay wrote:

T

In modern times (and maybe all time) the BJs greatest claim to fame is reaching the Round of 32 and beating Nebraska. Priceless! What a bunch of underachievers. You robbed legit teams by winning the MoVal conference Tournament and kept those legit teams from enhancing the MoVal reputation. What a joke!

Why has this topic turned to sour grapes from 2 FORMER conference members. Go to your respective forums and stay there.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby C0|db|00ded » July 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm

So true Veritas, so true...

Here we have this tiny private college, in a modest Midwestern town, located in the most forgotten state in the union, cranking out mediocre health graduates sworn to do no harm. But harm is exactly what they did to this storied conference. Utilizing some sort of Witchcraft to secure win after win after win in the MVC tournament with a lackluster regular season performance nearly always preceding it, they set this conference up for doom.

INTERMISSION

Act 2:

Operating under the watchful eye of the Pope and all his minions, sworn to reject the passions of the flesh, the devil jumped inside of BJ causing them to fall victim to some of the ugliest sins of them all... vanity and greed. The heathen Jesuits of the east whispered in their little corn-fed ears, "Come with us, we'll make you a starrr...." Perhaps it's too much to ask a group suffering from The Great Nebraskan Inferiority Complex to turn down five minutes of fame, in a retread conference with a borrowed name, but just like Judas who betrayed the one that game him life, the BJ's were off.

That decision began the modern-day destabilization of the MVC. All that was left holding her together was the mighty flagship, Wichita State. But even with our 12 or so recent NCAA tournament wins and national star power, we simply couldn't keep the conference respectable in the eyes of the national media. Had we stayed and continued to try and steady the ship, we risked going down with it. So in a final act of self-preservation, we bid the conference that had been our home since '45 adieu, and closed the book on the Shockers in the MVC.

INTERMISSION

Final Act:

Veritas was very accurate in his post; the BJ's killed this conference year after year, one suck at a time - embarrassing the league in the NCAA tournament after their seemingly endless "magical runs" in St. Louie. And then the moment they were offered a step up, they took it like a two-bit gold digger. The only solace for MVC fans is, they're doing the exact same thing in the Big Pee as they did in the MVC - embarrassing the league when it matters most.

BJ's: always seem to blow it.

T

C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » July 11th, 2017, 8:45 pm

The high-major, mid-major, lpw-major labels have always been based on conference affiliation, not by specific teams. They are not based on your record. If Indiana goes on a five year streak of being just horrible, and not as good as most teams in the Valley, they will not be considered a mid-major or low-major. If elon goes undefeated for the next 3 years they will not be considered a high major.
Last edited by Drakey on July 12th, 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 11th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Sorry, drakey. Your sad team is a low major. Face it. We're not talking 5 or even 10 season. Thirty. Three decades of crap. Let me put it another way. Your new coach came from Furman because the South Dakota coach said no. The same conference the coaches are leaving for Wright state said no to Drake and took less salary to do so. Not just a low major but a very low major.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball