What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby BirdsEyeView » July 18th, 2017, 11:03 am

Does this website have moderators?

The dick swinging contest from Shocker fans is not needed on this website any longer. Nobody gives a flying f. AAC was closer to the 11th ranked conference last year than the 6th ranked conference last year. It is not a power 6 conference when you have East Carolina and Tulane in it.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 18th, 2017, 2:50 pm

My guess is it end up as the 7th or 8th conference. Big East will be 6th. If the A-10 can perform like they did last year they'll be 7th. The AAC will be 8th. Then the WCC will be 9th. MWC 10th. MVC 11th.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 18th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Sometimes things are just funny. I swing by to see what's being said about WSU leaving and WSU fans are still insecure and delusional. :roll:

For the record, I think WSU's addition to the AAC is perfect: The most insecure fanbase joins the most insecure conference. Is there anything more pathetic than stickers claiming to be P6? How embarrassing.

AAC athletics are killing UConn basketball. The program has gotten worse every year it has been in the AAC. At some point they will come to realize that their football is as bad as everybody not in Storrs already acknowledges and drop the money losing program. Once they do so, the Big East will add its first public school and UConn's basketball program can start healing.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 18th, 2017, 3:38 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Sometimes things are just funny. I swing by to see what's being said about WSU leaving and WSU fans are still insecure and delusional. :roll:

For the record, I think WSU's addition to the AAC is perfect: The most insecure fanbase joins the most insecure conference. Is there anything more pathetic than stickers claiming to be P6? How embarrassing.

AAC athletics are killing UConn basketball. The program has gotten worse every year it has been in the AAC. At some point they will come to realize that their football is as bad as everybody not in Storrs already acknowledges and drop the money losing program. Once they do so, the Big East will add its first public school and UConn's basketball program can start healing.

The problem is UConn believes it should be P5.m I think they'll hold out for that. Might never come though. I don't think the Big East wants anything to do with St. Louis either, even though St. Louis is holding out for them. SLU is just a horrible program. Always has been too except for when Majerus was there. Rumors of Gonzaga are ridiculous because theyre so far away from the footprint. Dayton is a no brainer. That leaves one more team. I really think the Big East should take a look at VCU, also a public. Who knows. Maybe Wichita dominates the AAC for a few years and they get the call, which would be even better than VCU and gives Creighton a regional partner and old foe. What are your thoughts?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 19th, 2017, 10:23 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Sometimes things are just funny. I swing by to see what's being said about WSU leaving and WSU fans are still insecure and delusional. :roll:

The problem is UConn believes it should be P5.m I think they'll hold out for that. Might never come though. I don't think the Big East wants anything to do with St. Louis either, even though St. Louis is holding out for them. SLU is just a horrible program. Always has been too except for when Majerus was there. Rumors of Gonzaga are ridiculous because theyre so far away from the footprint. Dayton is a no brainer. That leaves one more team. I really think the Big East should take a look at VCU, also a public. Who knows. Maybe Wichita dominates the AAC for a few years and they get the call, which would be even better than VCU and gives Creighton a regional partner and old foe. What are your thoughts?

I think the Big East has zero desire to expand right now. More bodies means TV money just gets spread among more people, resulting in a lesser share for each eber. The league is very healthy and just got 70% of the members into the NCAA tourney (and 2 of the programs that didn't get in are Georgetown and St Johns); unlike the AAC, there is no need to add teams just to try to get more NCAA tourney bids. I suspect the conference just sits still until the Big 12 blows up to evaluate what might be there to nab.

UConn availability is the one exception due to history, location, academic profile and reputation. I agree that UConn is trying to get a football 5 invite, but their location and horrible football program make that unlikely. Other than UConn, nobody else moves the meter. SLU stinks, Dayton is too close to Xavier, VCU is public and may be too close to Georgetown, Gonzaga is too damn far, WSU is public and doesn't fit the academic profile of the other league members, etc. Most importantly, all of those schools will still be available down the road (they aren't joining a F5 conference in the interim), so there is no pressing need to add any of those schools now.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 19th, 2017, 10:55 am

The only point I would contend is that SLU stinks. I don't see them as a viable Big East candidate so I agree with that, but other than SIU's run in the late 90's,& UNI's recent streak, they've been better historically than anybody else left in the Valley. To say they were good only under Majerus is just flat wrong as they were very good under Spoonhour and were putting over 15,000 a night in Scottrade during that time. They and Bradley are the only privates in our domain that I think have real potential, and while Valpo can also put a good product out, they are limited facility wise and therefore attendance isn't gonna challenge to be really significant. I would grab SLU in a heatbeat for the Valley.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby martymoose » July 19th, 2017, 2:41 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Again Marty, you can argue semantics all you want, but you were trying to establish the idea that the current AAC is a superior league to the current Big East by using records established when the current Big East teams and Louisville were part of the conference now called the AAC. Again we're not that stupid and the fact you persist suggests you truly are. If you weren't trying to make the case for current league status, I could buy your historical rationale, but your goal was trying to come on here and sell that WSU was now in a superior league to the current Big East and you tried to manipulate to that end. You didn't pull it off so now just go away please, because you've now added boring to pot.

When I turn on the TV to watch a Big East conference game and Fox Sports has elected to replace it with darts, that tells you where your league stands. The cash and TV deals say the AAC is the better conference overall.

My original point wasn't to say the AAC is better than the Big East anyway. You twisted it to that. My original point was making fun of this thread for trying to say WSU is in a mid major conference...I was simply saying a conference with 3 of the last 10 national titles probably isn't mid major...subtract Louisville if you want, still 2 of the last 10 belong to the AAC while the majority of conferences have 0 and only 1 has more.
martymoose
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Dansen » July 19th, 2017, 3:25 pm

I have a few things to say regarding about AAC championships:

First of all, UCONN was only in the AAC for one of those championships, and Louisville was never in the AAC. Therefore, one championship for the AAC

Second of all, many are arguing that the AAC is the same as the old Big East. While legally that may be true due to monetary reasons, looking at it from a basketball perspective this is not true. Attached I have the RPI and ranking of each conference for the given year. I think a conference should be defined more by who is in it than by namings of "Power" or any other media driven system.

As you can see, nobody would ever mistake the AAC for the Old Big East. Consistently the Old Big East was a top 5 RPI, usually higher averaging around a 3.14 ranking and a 0.57 RPI

The AAC has averaged a 7.75 ranking and a 0.53 RPI. This is much closer to the CUSA ranking of 10 and a 0.52 RPI. There was a drastic change from the end of the Old Big East to the start of the AAC, dropping from 3-8 in one year.

While the AAC has a championship (2013-2014) it is ludicrous to compare it to the Old Big East, and to give it the championships of the Old Big East. It has improved greatly but it is definitely more of an improved CUSA than anything else.
Attachments
AAC Not Big East.png
AAC Not Big East.png (19.43 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Dansen
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

martymoose wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Again Marty, you can argue semantics all you want, but you were trying to establish the idea that the current AAC is a superior league to the current Big East by using records established when the current Big East teams and Louisville were part of the conference now called the AAC. Again we're not that stupid and the fact you persist suggests you truly are. If you weren't trying to make the case for current league status, I could buy your historical rationale, but your goal was trying to come on here and sell that WSU was now in a superior league to the current Big East and you tried to manipulate to that end. You didn't pull it off so now just go away please, because you've now added boring to pot.

When I turn on the TV to watch a Big East conference game and Fox Sports has elected to replace it with darts, that tells you where your league stands. The cash and TV deals say the AAC is the better conference overall.

My original point wasn't to say the AAC is better than the Big East anyway. You twisted it to that. My original point was making fun of this thread for trying to say WSU is in a mid major conference...I was simply saying a conference with 3 of the last 10 national titles probably isn't mid major...subtract Louisville if you want, still 2 of the last 10 belong to the AAC while the majority of conferences have 0 and only 1 has more.

Let me put this to bed. The Big EAST was number 3 in RPI last season. They beat out two P5s. Yes, the American finished 7th, but the A-10 was .02 points behind at 8th, the WCC was .03 points behind at 9th and the MWC was .04 points behind at 10th. The A-10, WCC, and MWC are all mid majors, no argument. Therefore, so is the AAC because they're all in the same spot. The jump up from the AAC at 7 to the 6th spot is .25. They're a lot close to 10 then they are to 6. And, they're .43 away from the Big East. That's why the big East is a major conference and not the AAC.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... ng-by-conf
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » July 19th, 2017, 4:14 pm

martymoose wrote: The cash and TV deals say the AAC is the better conference overall.

The Big East has more cash and a better TV deal and it's not even in the same universe.

The AAC's TV deal with ESPN for both football and basketball is a 7-year, $126 million deal. That's $1.5 million per school, per year. For two sports.

The Big East's TV deal with FS1 for basketball only is a 12-year, $500 million deal. That's almost $4.2 million per school, per year. For one sport.
Last edited by Bluejay09Bear06 on July 19th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball