What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby BEARZ77 » July 20th, 2017, 4:39 am

Again semantics; the point I think everyone has been more than tolerant in pointing out is that prior to the switches the Big East was very similar in team composition to what it is today minus solid contributors in UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, and briefly Louisville, but replaced by again solid programs in Marquette, Butler, Creighton. The current AAC/former Big East looks nothing like that conference with only UCONN remaining and while WSU and Cinn are solid programs the rest of the league is the old USA with a number of really weak programs. Leagues are teams not names, and to try to claim current AAC status using old Big East glory was a stupid sham that nobody bought.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » July 20th, 2017, 7:06 am

Let's say the AAC really is the Big East which used to have Syracuse and Pitt. Then the Big East has fallen flat on its face and is a shell of its former self just like the WAC (which used to have Arizona and Arizona State) and the Valley (which used to have Kansas and Iowa). If once-power conferences are always power conferences forevermore, the Shockers just left one for another.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » July 20th, 2017, 7:13 am

Mikovio wrote:Let's say the AAC really is the Big East which used to have Syracuse and Pitt. Then the Big East has fallen flat on its face and is a shell of its former self just like the WAC (which used to have Arizona and Arizona State) and the Valley (which used to have Kansas and Iowa). If once-power conferences are always power conferences forevermore, the Shockers just left one for another.

:+1: :Cheers:
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » July 20th, 2017, 12:10 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Sometimes things are just funny. I swing by to see what's being said about WSU leaving and WSU fans are still insecure and delusional. :roll:

For the record, I think WSU's addition to the AAC is perfect: The most insecure fanbase joins the most insecure conference. Is there anything more pathetic than stickers claiming to be P6? How embarrassing.

AAC athletics are killing UConn basketball. The program has gotten worse every year it has been in the AAC. At some point they will come to realize that their football is as bad as everybody not in Storrs already acknowledges and drop the money losing program. Once they do so, the Big East will add its first public school and UConn's basketball program can start healing.

The problem is UConn believes it should be P5.m I think they'll hold out for that. Might never come though. I don't think the Big East wants anything to do with St. Louis either, even though St. Louis is holding out for them. SLU is just a horrible program. Always has been too except for when Majerus was there. Rumors of Gonzaga are ridiculous because theyre so far away from the footprint. Dayton is a no brainer. That leaves one more team. I really think the Big East should take a look at VCU, also a public. Who knows. Maybe Wichita dominates the AAC for a few years and they get the call, which would be even better than VCU and gives Creighton a regional partner and old foe. What are your thoughts?

I think the Big East has zero desire to expand right now. More bodies means TV money just gets spread among more people, resulting in a lesser share for each eber. The league is very healthy and just got 70% of the members into the NCAA tourney (and 2 of the programs that didn't get in are Georgetown and St Johns); unlike the AAC, there is no need to add teams just to try to get more NCAA tourney bids. I suspect the conference just sits still until the Big 12 blows up to evaluate what might be there to nab.

UConn availability is the one exception due to history, location, academic profile and reputation. I agree that UConn is trying to get a football 5 invite, but their location and horrible football program make that unlikely. Other than UConn, nobody else moves the meter. SLU stinks, Dayton is too close to Xavier, VCU is public and may be too close to Georgetown, Gonzaga is too damn far, WSU is public and doesn't fit the academic profile of the other league members, etc. Most importantly, all of those schools will still be available down the road (they aren't joining a F5 conference in the interim), so there is no pressing need to add any of those schools now.

Since you and the BJ are giving each mutual BJ's, I'll just say that Creighton is hanging on to the other teams tails in the BE. They are so good, they move to another conference and finish in the upper half twice, and proceed to win one NCAA game with those teams shows that they are not very much better than before. They need to prove their worth against the best, in the tourney at the end of the year, not in the first half. :D
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » July 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Mikovio wrote:Let's say the AAC really is the Big East which used to have Syracuse and Pitt. Then the Big East has fallen flat on its face and is a shell of its former self just like the WAC (which used to have Arizona and Arizona State) and the Valley (which used to have Kansas and Iowa). If once-power conferences are always power conferences forevermore, the Shockers just left one for another.

Fair. I don't characterize the AAC as a power conference and I find the P6 thing to be a bit cringey. To be fair, not any more cringey than some of the things that have came out of Elgin's mouth over the last few years. My hope is that Wichita State in the AAC propels them to be right up next to the 6th best conference (instead of right next to the 11th) with the chance to finish ahead of the SEC or Pac-12 occasionally. Maybe not and we find ourselves stuck in the 7-9 slots, which would still be a small improvement.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » July 21st, 2017, 9:32 am

Yawn :|
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » July 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Football 5 + Big East >>> AAC >>> MVC

I think that about sums it up.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Veritas » July 23rd, 2017, 10:11 am

UEACES80 wrote:Yawn :|

You succinctly and rather nicely were able to sum up the contributions made by UE to the MoVal.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UEACES80 » July 24th, 2017, 8:03 am

Don't you have another website to pollute?
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » July 24th, 2017, 11:18 am

UEACES80 wrote:Don't you have another website to pollute?

Give him some time. It won't be long now before he, and drizzel , and snag will be polluting the AAC board. I feel sorry for those poor people. They don't know what's coming.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball