What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 15th, 2017, 10:25 am

You have to win. In this conference you better be good enough to win and win the conference tournament.
If you win a bunch of games and beat some good teams you have to at least keep it close in the championship tournament game. I agree categories are meaningless.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby martymoose » July 17th, 2017, 2:39 pm

I realize the goal of this thread was for everyone to say the AAC basketball sucks and WSU made a lateral move and so on and so forth. I also realize conferences as a whole are labeled as major or mid-major but looking at their success would have a lot to do with those labels I would think...here are the last 10 national champs by conference.

4 - ACC
3 - AAC
1 - SEC
1 - Big 12
1 - Big East

Also factor in the football isn't terrible and a lot of NFL draft picks are coming from the AAC, meaning they'll likely get the same level or better recruits in the future...this bodes well for the conference as a whole. Their TV deals won't be on par with the SEC of course, but they will be getting substantial TV money in the future. Right now, you have the P5, then the AAC, then everyone else (don't care to rank the rest).
martymoose
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 17th, 2017, 3:25 pm

martymoose wrote:I realize the goal of this thread was for everyone to say the AAC basketball sucks and WSU made a lateral move and so on and so forth. I also realize conferences as a whole are labeled as major or mid-major but looking at their success would have a lot to do with those labels I would think...here are the last 10 national champs by conference.

4 - ACC
3 - AAC
1 - SEC
1 - Big 12
1 - Big East

Also factor in the football isn't terrible and a lot of NFL draft picks are coming from the AAC, meaning they'll likely get the same level or better recruits in the future...this bodes well for the conference as a whole. Their TV deals won't be on par with the SEC of course, but they will be getting substantial TV money in the future. Right now, you have the P5, then the AAC, then everyone else (don't care to rank the rest).

Are you just stupid or think we all are. Nothing funnier than someone trying to talk smack who doesn't know the facts. Better check your facts on those National Championships. And why are you lame Shocker fans still on this board trying to convince us the AAC is better than the Big East; go float that shat on the Big East board and see where you get.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 17th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Actually, the AAC only has one championship. Connecticut in the AAC's first season. The other Connecticut championship goes to the Big East. As for the phantom third AAC title I'm not sure where you get that from. The big East is much better than the AAC. Then a step down to the AAC and A-10. Then a step down to the MWC and WCC. The big East is on par with the P5s.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » July 17th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Actually, the AAC only has one championship. Connecticut in the AAC's first season. The other Connecticut championship goes to the Big East. As for the phantom third AAC title I'm not sure where you get that from. The big East is much better than the AAC. Then a step down to the AAC and A-10. Then a step down to the MWC and WCC. The big East is on par with the P5s.

The old Big East is actually the American, the American just gave up the name. Louisville is the 3rd team. I don't really think marty's data is relevant to anything, but he didn't just make it up.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 17th, 2017, 4:12 pm

I think he was trying to claim a second U Con. and a Louisville title both when they were in the Big East. When you have to lie or manipulate the facts to try to make a point, you've already lost the argument. And again take it somewhere else, but my guess is they would get their butts handed to them on the Big East Board.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 17th, 2017, 4:31 pm

AndShock wrote:The old Big East is actually the American, the American just gave up the name. Louisville is the 3rd team. I don't really think marty's data is relevant to anything, but he didn't just make it up.

Come on, really? The "old Big East is actually the American", huh. Why sure it is; just because it doesn't have Syracuse, Georgetown, Providence, Villanova, or Seton Hall, or the other National Champion from the last 10 years [Louisville], I guess it is if you say so.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CoolArrow » July 17th, 2017, 4:50 pm

AndShock wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Actually, the AAC only has one championship. Connecticut in the AAC's first season. The other Connecticut championship goes to the Big East. As for the phantom third AAC title I'm not sure where you get that from. The big East is much better than the AAC. Then a step down to the AAC and A-10. Then a step down to the MWC and WCC. The big East is on par with the P5s.

The old Big East is actually the American, the American just gave up the name. Louisville is the 3rd team. I don't really think marty's data is relevant to anything, but he didn't just make it up.

The American is more like C-USA 3.0. Bunch of former C-USA schools plus Cincy, UConn. Still more CUSA than Big East. No one will ever confuse powerhouses like Houston, Tulane, SMU and East Carolina with Georgetown, Marquette or Villanova.
CoolArrow
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby AndShock » July 17th, 2017, 5:17 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
AndShock wrote:The old Big East is actually the American, the American just gave up the name. Louisville is the 3rd team. I don't really think marty's data is relevant to anything, but he didn't just make it up.

Come on, really? The "old Big East is actually the American", huh. Why sure it is; just because it doesn't have Syracuse, Georgetown, Providence, Villanova, or Seton Hall, or the other National Champion from the last 10 years [Louisville], I guess it is if you say so.

I'm not saying the American is equal to or becoming or is half as good as the old Big East. I'm just saying that the American as a conference, is technically the same conference as the old Big East. It seems weird to give UConn's national championship to a conference they were never a part of.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 17th, 2017, 5:22 pm

You're playing semantics; the Big East conference U-Conn was a part of is comprised of teams, not a name assigned arbitrarily. The conference they won a championship for had teams like Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Syracuse, etc., not WSU, SMU, Houston, etc.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball