What is your definition of Mid Major?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What is your definition of Mid Major?

Postby DUBulldog » July 12th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:In an ideal world d1 would be enough. The committee on the other hand doesn't think so. And, they're the ones that matter. And, your diss to my intelligence doesn't effect me. I'm good with my opinion. We're able to disagree and debate. Trump hasnt taken that away has he? May have. Who knows.

I'm not sure about the debate part with you. Drakey disagreed with your assessment. He didn't say anything about Drake, but you then went on the attack about Drake being bad. So, in essence, you're telling Drakey that his point has no merit because Drake is bad. You're taking away his right to have an opinion solely because the team he roots for isn't good. Are you saying only fans who follow a winning program have a right to state their opinion? Or that only fans who follow a winning team understand basketball?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby C0|db|00ded » July 13th, 2017, 9:13 am

[quote="Drakey"]The high-major, mid-major, lpw-major labels have always been based on conference affiliation, not by specific teams. They are not based on your record. If Indiana goes on a five year streak of being just horrible, and not as good as most teams in the Valley, they will not be considered a mid-major or low-major. If elon goes undefeated for the next 3 years they will not be considered a high major.[/quote]

This is the correct answer. The thread could be closed after this post.

That being said, there's no reason why a program in a mid-major conference cannot outperform, outspend, and "out media" schools from the major conferences. When that occurs, a school's fanbase can promote the narrative that their program is a major trapped in a mid-major conference a la Wichita State, Gonzaga, Memphis (back in CUSA).

Low/mid-major labels were created by sports television execs in order to allow them to package their product more effectively. They've spent billions on the rights to broadcast a product, the last thing they want is their customers becoming confused as to what they should be watching. ESPN says you should be watching Duke, not Dayton. That's the beauty of the NCAA tournament, it offers an opportunity for the truly great programs to shine... although that can be stifled as well via the seeding process which I believe is still influenced by the broadcasters even though it's not supposed to be. I suspect the metrics by which "NCAA caliber" teams are measured were created in cooperation with the networks for the sole purpose of discriminating against teams that aren't in their broadcasting package. RPI was very effective for this purpose until it was hacked.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » July 13th, 2017, 1:17 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd fight the term mid-major at every turn just like we did. I never accepted that term, and most of our fans didn't either. There are schools in "Major" conferences who aren't living up to that term too. But the next step is to back it up by investing in your programs, and by winning.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » July 13th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Mid-major: Noun. (a) The act of taking time out of your minimum-wage call-center job to post third-rate delusional rants about a conference to which your commuter school no longer belongs; or, alternatively, (b) the failure of a conference message board administrator to ban the actor identified in subsection (a) from said conference message board.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 13th, 2017, 3:39 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:In an ideal world d1 would be enough. The committee on the other hand doesn't think so. And, they're the ones that matter. And, your diss to my intelligence doesn't effect me. I'm good with my opinion. We're able to disagree and debate. Trump hasnt taken that away has he? May have. Who knows.

I'm not sure about the debate part with you. Drakey disagreed with your assessment. He didn't say anything about Drake, but you then went on the attack about Drake being bad. So, in essence, you're telling Drakey that his point has no merit because Drake is bad. You're taking away his right to have an opinion solely because the team he roots for isn't good. Are you saying only fans who follow a winning program have a right to state their opinion? Or that only fans who follow a winning team understand basketball?

I attacked a piss poor program, not somebody personally like others have. He has a right to opinion. I have a right to object. At least I can say I didn't attack him personally. I'm above that at least.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » July 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:Mid-major: Noun. (a) The act of taking time out of your minimum-wage call-center job to post third-rate delusional rants about a conference to which your commuter school no longer belongs;

I can't get over the irony. Might want to look up 'noun' in the dictionary.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » July 13th, 2017, 4:15 pm

One's a noun and one's a verb. Get over it.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » July 14th, 2017, 4:17 pm

I'm afraid I would have to categorize that as an adjective.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rally » July 14th, 2017, 9:55 pm

The committee doesn't care about labels. It wasn't a label that kept ISU out of the dance and coming up with more categories isn't going to change it.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 15th, 2017, 7:36 am

rally wrote:

The committee doesn't care about labels. It wasn't a label that kept ISU out of the dance and coming up with more categories isn't going to change it.

The committee cares about money. Then high majors bring in more money and they know that.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball