College Sports Madness Top 144

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144

Postby Drakey » August 3rd, 2017, 8:26 pm

AndShock wrote:SWOMO is an interesting case because my perception of them is so much different than reality. When I think of possible top-100 teams in the Valley for next season, SWOMO is really the only one that comes to mind and they weren't even in the ballpark last season.

I think next year is going to be really ugly for the Valley and it kind of hurts even more that it's happening Wichita State's first year in a new conference. Wichita State is gone and the Valley is going to slap itself with the reputation that they're horrible without Wichita State. I do think the Valley has the potential to be solid in a couple years, but at this point it does like we've all been saying that forever. I don't think the Valley will ever be a legit multiple-bid conference, which is just as much a product of the current college basketball landscape as it is the Valley not being good enough.

I think Medved will have Drake as a top 100 team in a few years, same thing with Wardle and Bradley. Give Muller a couple years to build back up. Moser seems to have a solid thing going. Jacobson is Jacobson. Valpo is Valpo. Half the conference floating around the top 100 is pretty respectable. The problem is that to get an at-large it seems like the conference needs to have 3-4 teams floating around the top 30. It's gonna take a perfect storm for that to ever happen. Looking at the Mountain West this year, I think it's totally reasonable to think the Valley might have those exact same numbers in a few years. The problem was that the MWC was getting 0 at-large bids this past year, even with a top 30 team.

Those predictions about who is going to be good will be very unpopular on this board. I agree with them.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 4th, 2017, 7:21 am

AndShock wrote:SWOMO is an interesting case because my perception of them is so much different than reality. When I think of possible top-100 teams in the Valley for next season, SWOMO is really the only one that comes to mind and they weren't even in the ballpark last season.

I think next year is going to be really ugly for the Valley and it kind of hurts even more that it's happening Wichita State's first year in a new conference. Wichita State is gone and the Valley is going to slap itself with the reputation that they're horrible without Wichita State. I do think the Valley has the potential to be solid in a couple years, but at this point it does like we've all been saying that forever. I don't think the Valley will ever be a legit multiple-bid conference, which is just as much a product of the current college basketball landscape as it is the Valley not being good enough.

I think Medved will have Drake as a top 100 team in a few years, same thing with Wardle and Bradley. Give Muller a couple years to build back up. Moser seems to have a solid thing going. Jacobson is Jacobson. Valpo is Valpo. Half the conference floating around the top 100 is pretty respectable. The problem is that to get an at-large it seems like the conference needs to have 3-4 teams floating around the top 30. It's gonna take a perfect storm for that to ever happen. Looking at the Mountain West this year, I think it's totally reasonable to think the Valley might have those exact same numbers in a few years. The problem was that the MWC was getting 0 at-large bids this past year, even with a top 30 team.

These kinds of posts from Shocker fans, I can get on board with. Level-headed analysis and not all about their own precious school.

I agree with you wholeheartedly except Drake being a top 100 team could be a challenge.
It's too bad if Missouri St. wins the Valley bid that we can't give them Ben Jacobson or Dan Muller to replace Lusk in the postseason. I give Lusk ZERO shot at winning back to back games in the NCAAs. His game planning won't be up to snuff, especially if he finds a way to win the first one and has to turn around and plan for another two days later.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » February 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am

Make MVC Great Again wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I just don't get the Loyola love. I think they'll be up there but I don't think they'll be number one. I get why msu should be number one but I also get why people question whether they will be. I think SIU is underrated and ready to take a step forward. Valpo, while good, lost their best player and I don't see them truly being a contender. I also think they'll struggle more in a new league. Same for UNI. ILSU always seems to put a good team on the floor since muller has taken over but they have so much turnover it's hard to really know how they'll turn out. Really it's all up to msu. If they play like they should they will run away with it. If not, loyola, SIU, ILSU could all take it. I think Bradley is another year away.

MSU
ILSU
SIU
Loyola (We had Porter Moser as our coach. I don't think he can do it. I've seen it first hand and have no faith in the guy. That's why they're here.)
UNI
Valpo
Bradley
Drake
INSU
Evansville

Really, the first four are interchangable. Then the next three are interchangable. Then 8/9 are interchangable. Sorry, Evansville. You're in the cellar this year.

Completely agree here!!!!!!

Loyola might be the most overhyped team in the history of the league. This is a team that lost to Drake with an interim coach just a few weeks into the job, and also lost to Evansville, should have been twice to the Aces. And oh yeah these clowns lost to Southern three times last year, THREE TIMES, the hat trick.

Missouri State by far and away the favorites. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh wow today is fun
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ThisIsTheLineup » February 22nd, 2018, 9:52 am

Lusuperfan1 wrote:
Make MVC Great Again wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I just don't get the Loyola love. I think they'll be up there but I don't think they'll be number one. I get why msu should be number one but I also get why people question whether they will be. I think SIU is underrated and ready to take a step forward. Valpo, while good, lost their best player and I don't see them truly being a contender. I also think they'll struggle more in a new league. Same for UNI. ILSU always seems to put a good team on the floor since muller has taken over but they have so much turnover it's hard to really know how they'll turn out. Really it's all up to msu. If they play like they should they will run away with it. If not, loyola, SIU, ILSU could all take it. I think Bradley is another year away.

MSU
ILSU
SIU
Loyola (We had Porter Moser as our coach. I don't think he can do it. I've seen it first hand and have no faith in the guy. That's why they're here.)
UNI
Valpo
Bradley
Drake
INSU
Evansville

Really, the first four are interchangable. Then the next three are interchangable. Then 8/9 are interchangable. Sorry, Evansville. You're in the cellar this year.

Completely agree here!!!!!!

Loyola might be the most overhyped team in the history of the league. This is a team that lost to Drake with an interim coach just a few weeks into the job, and also lost to Evansville, should have been twice to the Aces. And oh yeah these clowns lost to Southern three times last year, THREE TIMES, the hat trick.

Missouri State by far and away the favorites. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh wow today is fun

Please, very much let us eat crow. I, for one, am happy for Porter and the Ramblers! This also shows how bad MoSt. was this year.
2017-2018 MVC Regular Season Pick ‘em Champ
Go You Redbirds!
ThisIsTheLineup
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby hot nuts » February 22nd, 2018, 9:55 am

Just know that not all us Redbird fans thought poorly of Moser, I was mad when he was let go. Great season, Ramblers! See you in St. Louis, I hope to see a lot of Harry Potter scarves!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 22nd, 2018, 9:56 am

You know what day is not fun? The one where you finish 27-6 with a top 35 RPI with a top 25 win on your resume and get left out of the NCAA tournament. If Loyola loses in the MVC tournament final they'll be 27-6 with a top 25 win and a lower RPI but less bad losses so its a wash. They'll be having a bad day too. Better win in St. Louis or you'll be playing for a spot in New York.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » February 22nd, 2018, 9:59 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:You know what day is not fun? The one where you finish 27-6 with a top 35 RPI with a top 25 win on your resume and get left out of the NCAA tournament. If Loyola loses in the MVC tournament final they'll be 27-6 with a top 25 win and a lower RPI but less bad losses so its a wash. They'll be having a bad day too. Better win in St. Louis or you'll be playing for a spot in New York.

True but this is less about you cause you were at least respectful about it (hell, we even exceeded my expectations) and more about Wichita troll
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 22nd, 2018, 10:14 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:You know what day is not fun? The one where you finish 27-6 with a top 35 RPI with a top 25 win on your resume and get left out of the NCAA tournament. If Loyola loses in the MVC tournament final they'll be 27-6 with a top 25 win and a lower RPI but less bad losses so its a wash. They'll be having a bad day too. Better win in St. Louis or you'll be playing for a spot in New York.

Yeah....but did we have a top 25 win.....? Pretty sure that was what helped to keep us out.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2018, 10:19 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:

Yeah....but did we have a top 25 win.....? Pretty sure that was what helped to keep us out.

Our bad losses kept us out. That and the agenda of the committee for P5 schools.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 22nd, 2018, 10:26 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:

Our bad losses kept us out. That and the agenda of the committee for P5 schools.

Yup, bad losses and no good wins...both reasons we were kept out. Maybe I am delusional, but I honestly believe if ISU had a top 25 win, or didn't lose to Murray State, they would have made it. I think either of those things could have moved the needle, but we didn't and it was just another year of not making the dance.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball