College Sports Madness Top 144

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144

Postby Lusuperfan1 » August 2nd, 2017, 7:49 am

Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 2nd, 2017, 8:14 am

Lusuperfan1 wrote:Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.

Loyola doesn't win based upon every expert.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » August 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Lusuperfan1 wrote:Much to the chagrin of Make MVC Great Again (who would probably prefer some Wichita middle school in the valley over us), Loyola comes in at 100 and the projected conference champion. I thought the preview was solid, fair about Moser's inability to win, although I think it overrated Custer and underrated Krutwig. But the biggest takeaway is that the top of the league is wide open and LU has as legitimate of a claim to it as anybody. I don't think we or anyone else is the "team to beat" like WSU. But my expectations for Loyola are still pretty high.

Loyola doesn't win based upon every expert.

What are you trying to say here? That no expert has predicted Loyola to win? :huh:
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 2nd, 2017, 9:28 am

Some have Loyola winning. Some have ILSU winning. Haven't seen an MSU yet. Surprising.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » August 2nd, 2017, 9:31 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Some have Loyola winning. Some have ILSU winning. Haven't seen an MSU yet. Surprising.

Doesn't this mean that it is a wide open league this year, like every expert has predicted.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » August 2nd, 2017, 1:58 pm

Leagues wide open this year. I'm with Superfan, i'm pretty high on are teams potential but it's only potential at this point; and i don't think many other teams in the Valley are slouching either. I see 4 teams that could be in the running for first, potentially 5 depending on how Valpo's additions go. Then beyond that i think there are 7 really solid teams in the league this year. One will be looking from the outside come STL. Should be a fun season.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 3rd, 2017, 3:52 am

Looking at these rankings I feel as though the Valley has been vastly underrated and unfairly punished for Wichita State's departure. Everyone is in such a rush to write the epitaph for this conference, constantly talking about how down the Valley is, how low the conference has sunk, and how this league is going to join the ranks of the other perennial one-bid leagues. Sure the league is down now but by no stretch of the imagination is it out. Look at the WCC. No one's writing their obituary and they're going to have as many teams in these rankings (4) as the MVC. The difference between them and us is simply that they haven't been plundered yet and they got a huge gift when BYU took its football team independent and joined up. How down can a conference truly be when a rival mid major conference needs two realignment gifts (Gonzaga being too far away from other conferences to jump and BYU going FBS independent and joining) to even stay near the MVC while the MVC has been the unfortunate victim of the past two realignments.(Creighton becoming a major geographical outlier in the Big East, and the AAC choosing to add Wichita State when they could have easily added VCU instead). The Valley is down but it's surely not out, and it is great to see teams like UNI and Illinois State realizing this and going for it. I just hope the overwhelming majority of the other schools follow suit. The time is now as we stand at the crossroads and the decisions made by the Valley schools in these next few critical years will determine its destiny.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » August 3rd, 2017, 8:16 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Looking at these rankings I feel as though the Valley has been vastly underrated and unfairly punished for Wichita State's departure. Everyone is in such a rush to write the epitaph for this conference, constantly talking about how down the Valley is, how low the conference has sunk, and how this league is going to join the ranks of the other perennial one-bid leagues. Sure the league is down now but by no stretch of the imagination is it out. Look at the WCC. No one's writing their obituary and they're going to have as many teams in these rankings (4) as the MVC. The difference between them and us is simply that they haven't been plundered yet and they got a huge gift when BYU took its football team independent and joined up. How down can a conference truly be when a rival mid major conference needs two realignment gifts (Gonzaga being too far away from other conferences to jump and BYU going FBS independent and joining) to even stay near the MVC while the MVC has been the unfortunate victim of the past two realignments.(Creighton becoming a major geographical outlier in the Big East, and the AAC choosing to add Wichita State when they could have easily added VCU instead). The Valley is down but it's surely not out, and it is great to see teams like UNI and Illinois State realizing this and going for it. I just hope the overwhelming majority of the other schools follow suit. The time is now as we stand at the crossroads and the decisions made by the Valley schools in these next few critical years will determine its destiny.

Based on Illinois State not getting an at large bid and the seed Wichita State got last year, I'm not sure the way the Valley is viewed is that much different than when Wichita State was in the Valley.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » August 3rd, 2017, 11:44 am

The way things are working now with the NCAA tourney, the deck is heavily stacked - and it's not in favor of the Valley.

I think Jerry Palm just cherry-picked top-100 games last year because it happened to fit his agenda like a glove. While it was a cherry-picked criteria, evidently he spouted it so often that it became a significant factor. After he harped on it for several months, others started saying the same thing - again, because last year it perfectly fit the agenda of denying at large bids to mid-majors.

This year WSU looks to have 16 top-100 games in conference. Last year we had two.

Getting an at-large in the Valley probably requires getting invited to one of the better exempt tourneys and winning it or at least getting to the championship game. Then pretty much sweeping the rest of the season. WSU's 10-seed last year was a red flage. A BIG red flag.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » August 3rd, 2017, 12:57 pm

Blers wrote:Leagues wide open this year. I'm with Superfan, i'm pretty high on are teams potential but it's only potential at this point; and i don't think many other teams in the Valley are slouching either. I see 4 teams that could be in the running for first, potentially 5 depending on how Valpo's additions go. Then beyond that i think there are 7 really solid teams in the league this year. One will be looking from the outside come STL. Should be a fun season.

It would be difficult to disagree with your premise that the MVC will be a dogfight this year. Personally, I would put MSU at the top with Loyola, Valpo, ISUR, and UNI as possibilities but in the end, there could be 6-7 teams within 1-3 games fighting for the Championship. It should be fun to watch.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball