College Sports Madness Top 144

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144

Postby Rambler63 » July 19th, 2017, 7:44 pm

It's either disdain for urban areas (my guess), jealousy, or hatred of Catholics.

Politically, there has never been a bigger disparity in voting between urban areas and rural areas. In 2009, many Republicans openly rooted for Chicago to lose their Olympic bid because Obama happened to be from there, and many people wanted a setback for the Democratic President more than they cared about the United States having an Olympics. Because Obama was from Chicago, there was a concerted, relentless line of suggestion on political talk radio about Chicago's crime rate ("Why hasn't Obama done anything about crime in Chicago??!??!") and "Chicago" became political shorthand for liberal Democrats and their terrible way of doing things.

As it turns out, many cities-- including Mike Pence's most recent home town, Indianapolis, and the MVC headquarters of St. Louis-- have much worse crime rates and violence per capita than Chicago does. Where is the outrage for Pence? Hatred of Butler? Rejection of SLU as an MVC add?

Within the state of Illinois, Chicago is also often blamed politically for everything wrong. When I first moved to Normal in 2007, there were a lot of letters to the editor in the Pantagraph about separating Chicago, or everything north of I-80, from the rest of Illinois. Many people correctly responded that it would instantly make downstate Illinois into a slightly larger, flattter, uglier West Virginia.

Look, I'm the first to admit that Loyola has some problems. We need to raise our athletic budget and especially our men's baksetball budget. We need to get more aggressive and professional about marketing. We need to figure out how to monitize and memorialize our men's basketball national championship and expand the winning attitude and philosophy of our two consecutive men's volleyball national championships (2014, 2015) and our nationally-ranked men's soccer team from last year.

But the knee-jerk hatred for Loyola doesn't make any sense at all, unless you examine it in the political sense. Loyola was THE BEST ADD POSSIBLE when Creighton left, and only a few years later, Loyola is one of the best hopes for keeping the Missouri Valley Conference a vital and relevant conference.

And lastly, I invite all the folks who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate Loyola to have a couple of drinks at sunset during the summer at a sidewalk cafe just south of campus-- with a breeze blowing off the lake, the El going past with office workers headed home, the smell of Chicago pizza in the air, and some beautiful tannned women reading their email while walking their dogs. If you still hate us then, the real problem is in the mirror.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 19th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Honestly, what the f*** are you even talking about! Personally, I have nothing against Loyola. I've seen first hand what Porter Moser is as a coach and I don't have faith in the guy. Therefore, I think he will fail. Nothing against the school, Chicago's crime rate, or political affiliations. Your rambling is complete nonsense.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » July 19th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Honestly, what the f*** are you even talking about! Personally, I have nothing against Loyola. I've seen first hand what Porter Moser is as a coach and I don't have faith in the guy. Therefore, I think he will fail. Nothing against the school, Chicago's crime rate, or political affiliations. Your rambling is complete nonsense.

His post wasn't referring to you. :Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goramblers2011 » July 20th, 2017, 8:03 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Honestly, what the f*** are you even talking about! Personally, I have nothing against Loyola. I've seen first hand what Porter Moser is as a coach and I don't have faith in the guy. Therefore, I think he will fail. Nothing against the school, Chicago's crime rate, or political affiliations. Your rambling is complete nonsense.

His post was directed at "Make MVC Great Again". If you go back and look at that poster's post history, you'll quickly see that the majority of his posts are focused on his weird Loyola disdain/obsession/fetish--whatever you want to call it.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » July 20th, 2017, 10:55 am

Yeah J-Birds, he literally went through the recruiting thread and commented on every Loyola addition to just dump on them and call them dumb for joining us "clowns." It's super odd. He also claims to have no affiliation to any MVC team and just loves mid major basketball (but hates LU cuz we ruined the Valley and are a low major team). It's especially odd because he copies and pastes posts from Shockernet. You answer his points or ask him to back up anything he says with concrete, contextualized evidence and he moves on to a new target.

The league should be really fun this year. I agree with (and appreciate the support of) BEARZ LUC and MSU are mirrored images; based on potential alone I'd put MSU above u. There roster is stacked. But most LUC fans generally support Porter, at least much more than MSU fans support Lusk. I can only think of two or three moves last year that I really questioned, where some of the stuff Lusk did really confused me. So I'd put LUC as having a higher floor.

Beyond that there's the steady ISUr and UNI. Newcomers in Valpo who have a lot of players coming off the redshirt shelf, and an SIU team that i think could surprise. It should be a real fight for first, I'm not sure any team will get more than 14 wins. But i'm really hoping it's high level play across most of the conference.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » July 20th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I've had my eye on Loyola to the MVC ever since it became apparent that it wasn't a matter of "if" but "when" Creighton and Wichita were going to bolt. I still think they were a good add. They've been decent in hoops and bring a solid academic profile to the conference. Chicago is a fantastic city but a tough market to break into if you're a college team in the city. But if Loyola, DePaul, or Northwestern can ever figure out how to do it in the modern era, any or all of them stand to bring a significant amount of value to their respective leagues. I'm happy to have Loyola, given their potential, and to have a foothold for the league in Chicago, even if it isn't paying dividends right away or in the near future.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » July 20th, 2017, 3:43 pm

I have nothing against LUC but since i grew up in East Central IL (but we called it Southern IL to get as far away from Chicago as possible) I would love to see the day where the Chicago Metro area became it's own state.

The entire state is a wreck financially and I find it hard to not place the blame on Chicago. All anyone needs to do is look at an election map to see there is basically two states within one. The Blue counties are the Chicago metro area, Springfield, East StL and maybe 1 to 5 in the remainder of the state. Just very different social and political views. That doesn't make me dislike LUC one bit nor people from Chicago - an adult should be able to view individuals and not stereotype them on where they are from, The same as far as our conference teams just because LUC is the only MVC team in a major metro market I don't hold any contempt towards them. I have found their fans on here to be cordial and open minded in their views of their team.
Last edited by UEACES80 on July 21st, 2017, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » July 21st, 2017, 8:22 am

UNI in the 130s and MSU in the 120s strike me as overly pessimistic (or at least I hope that is the case). I picture the Top 3 or 4 hovering between 75 and the 110s, with another couple in the 120 - 140s range.

I understand general skepticism of MSU though given Lusk's knack for underperformance whenever the team has looked ready to take the next step. I just think Johnson is that good.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » July 22nd, 2017, 9:21 am

Play Angry wrote:UNI in the 130s and MSU in the 120s strike me as overly pessimistic (or at least I hope that is the case). I picture the Top 3 or 4 hovering between 75 and the 110s, with another couple in the 120 - 140s range.

I understand general skepticism of MSU though given Lusk's knack for underperformance whenever the team has looked ready to take the next step. I just think Johnson is that good.

I agree Johnson is that good. How sad would it be if MSU underperformed again and his talent just goes to waste for the two years he was at MSU and in the MVC.

I also REALLY like our roster. If Lusk can't win big with this roster he never will.

I do like Loyolas team as well. I like our roster better but I have more faith in Moser as a coach than Lusk.

Should be an interesting season.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

I agree that the rankings seem unfairly pessimistic for MVC schools. I firmly believe that Missouri State ISUr Loyola Valpo UNI SIU and Bradley all have top 100 potential. That isn't saying they'll all get there, only that it shouldn't surprise anyone if they do. Obviously each of these teams has warts and those flaws could keep them from reaching that this year. Some may be hindered by coaching,some by turnover, some may need another year or so to complete their rebuilds and recoveries or transitions but I don't think it's too far fetched to start seeing the MVC kick some major butt and return to national prominence in 2018-2019 and beyond.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball