If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
45%
Oral Roberts
11%
Northern Kentucky
19%
North Dakota State
5%
South Dakota State
2%
South Dakota
4%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 97

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby uniftw » August 24th, 2017, 8:58 am

uniguy wrote:
uniftw wrote:Yes, Murray State was left out because there wasn't a suitable 12th according to the university presidents. They are also opposed to 11 for some unknown reason. The B1G ran at 11 for decades. The MWC is at 11. A large part of the issue with 11 is the travel partner issue for VB and WBB. Hideous.

Honstestly 11 with a 20 game conference schedule makes sense right now. The B1G adopted a 20 game conference schedule starting in 2018. OOC games in the upper midwest, even buy games are going to become even more difficult.

Why 11 is such an issue is something I can't figure out.

This. The most important thing should be making the conference as strong as possible in men's basketball. Murray State makes this league stronger. There is no other realistic program out there that can say that. Logistics (and I might add.....manageable logistics that other leagues are already dealing with) should not trump men's basketball conference strength. That would be silly. Sometimes you need to think just a little bit outside the box.

A 20-game schedule would be difficult to work, but I really think it does our league a favor. Most schools are playing D2 and NAIA games anyway, and are having difficulty filling their schedule. This alleviates that problem and allows us to bring in a program that would do nothing but help the league.

You don't announce until the last second - WSU is a rare example of doing it sooner, but even then it happened after basketball season.

By announcing it sooner the conference can/will strip you of the ability to earn an automatic bid into any post season play, meaning you must get an AL in any sport you want to play in the post season on. They will also strip all payouts from NCAA shares.

If we didn't get anything with the STC announcement we won't see anything official until May/June depending on how the baseball/softball teams at the schools joining are doing. It's why Valpo waited until after baseball and softball had been eliminated from their conference tournament before making any comment on it at all. Didn't want the HL to strip any payouts or bids from them. The HL, and everyone, knew Valpo was joining the MVC for about 2 months prior to that but nothing could be done to "punish" them simply because they hadn't acknowledge the MVC even visited them.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » August 24th, 2017, 12:17 pm

uniftw wrote:
uniguy wrote:
uniftw wrote:Yes, Murray State was left out because there wasn't a suitable 12th according to the university presidents. They are also opposed to 11 for some unknown reason. The B1G ran at 11 for decades. The MWC is at 11. A large part of the issue with 11 is the travel partner issue for VB and WBB. Hideous.

Honstestly 11 with a 20 game conference schedule makes sense right now. The B1G adopted a 20 game conference schedule starting in 2018. OOC games in the upper midwest, even buy games are going to become even more difficult.

Why 11 is such an issue is something I can't figure out.

This. The most important thing should be making the conference as strong as possible in men's basketball. Murray State makes this league stronger. There is no other realistic program out there that can say that. Logistics (and I might add.....manageable logistics that other leagues are already dealing with) should not trump men's basketball conference strength. That would be silly. Sometimes you need to think just a little bit outside the box.

A 20-game schedule would be difficult to work, but I really think it does our league a favor. Most schools are playing D2 and NAIA games anyway, and are having difficulty filling their schedule. This alleviates that problem and allows us to bring in a program that would do nothing but help the league.

You don't announce until the last second - WSU is a rare example of doing it sooner, but even then it happened after basketball season.

By announcing it sooner the conference can/will strip you of the ability to earn an automatic bid into any post season play, meaning you must get an AL in any sport you want to play in the post season on. They will also strip all payouts from NCAA shares.

If we didn't get anything with the STC announcement we won't see anything official until May/June depending on how the baseball/softball teams at the schools joining are doing. It's why Valpo waited until after baseball and softball had been eliminated from their conference tournament before making any comment on it at all. Didn't want the HL to strip any payouts or bids from them. The HL, and everyone, knew Valpo was joining the MVC for about 2 months prior to that but nothing could be done to "punish" them simply because they hadn't acknowledge the MVC even visited them.

They are attempting to "punish" them now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelze ... 46699d277a
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » August 24th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I found this interview with Jack Watkins (an associate commisioner for the MVC) from the 17th of this month. The discussion of going to 12 starts at the 18:30 mark of the interview. It sounds like we are going to go to 12 for sure based on the way he's talking. When we renewed our contracts with Scottrade, etc, we told them that in 2019 we may very well have 12 teams for Arch Madness rather than 10. Link--> http://www.ktrs.com/the-big-sports-show/

So Murray State is a no brainer #11. He even admitted in the interview that 11 would have been a distaster and that it doesn't really work that well, so I think there is a push to get them in. We all know that they are the team that has a 99% chance of getting added at this point. It's #12 that is the mystery question. We all have our favorite #12 options, but this interview definitely renewed my confidence in us going to 12 for the 2018-19 season, especially at the 20:05 mark when he talks about the tournament for 2019. He says that there would be "back to back days of 12, 230, 6, and 830, then 2 games on Saturday, and the title game on Sunday." Then he says in the next sentence (not sure what the first few words were, maybe something about needing oxygen for you guys),"the year that Arch Madness goes to that, I know I will.
mvfcfan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball