If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby mvfcfan » November 21st, 2017, 12:55 pm

SDSU just beat Iowa 80-72.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jsaluki080 » November 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

Northwestern for the 12th member?
Yeah, I know. Never gonna happen.

I was just reading an old (like 4 years old) bleacher-report article and found the idea interesting.

Scroll down towards the middle if you've got a few minutes to kill.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2210803-conference-realignment-moves-we-wish-would-happen-in-college-basketball.amp.html
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » November 27th, 2017, 11:34 am

jsaluki080 wrote:We have multiple good options. I'm interested to see what happens. I'm just worried that MVC commission ends up doing nothing at all like in years past.

It will be a giant fail if we don't pick up Murray State next year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » November 27th, 2017, 12:44 pm

glm38 wrote:
jsaluki080 wrote:We have multiple good options. I'm interested to see what happens. I'm just worried that MVC commission ends up doing nothing at all like in years past.

It will be a giant fail if we don't pick up Murray State next year.

The unwillingness to do 11 - even for a year or two - may cause that.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 27th, 2017, 5:21 pm

But then Murray State would have lost those games against Illinois State and Southern Illinois and those teams would have lost one OOC game while everyone else would have lost 2. In all likelihood it would have hurt the Valley's Non-con SOS unless we all kicked the non-D1s and bottom feeding teams off our schedule which wouldn't have happened I still think this is the year Belmont and SLU come to their senses and a huge opportunity presents itself for Elgin to turn this league into a powerhouse. Murray State will still be available as will NKU and the Dakotas. I think the Valley will be fine going forward.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 27th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Anyway here's some real realignment news from the past few weeks you may have missed:
Hampton is leaving the MEAC for the Big South (18-19)
South Carolina Upstate is leaving the A-Sun for the Big South (I believe North Alabama will be joining the A-Sun next year though)So they'll still have 8 members but still you have to wonder if there'll be any more movement there

UC-San Diego is moving to D1 and joining the Big West (2020)
CSU-Bakersfield will leave the WAC and join the Big West (2020)
Cal Baptist will join the WAC next year so they're firm on 8 members Yet one has to wonder how firm the WAC REALLY is This is a big hit to their profile and has to have the remaining members feeling more antsy about moving to greener pastures.

What does this mean for the MVC? I don't know. Probably nothing, but this makes further realignment in the WAC very possible and all of those schools have to be considered "in-play" for any conference that wants them.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » November 27th, 2017, 6:17 pm

New Mexico State plus travel partner might be the one move that makes me back off of Murray State.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Rambler63 » November 27th, 2017, 6:47 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:New Mexico State plus travel partner might be the one move that makes me back off of Murray State.

As long as that travel partner isn't Grand Canyon. Whichever conference gets them after the WAC breaks up is going to deeply regret that affiliation. Their men's basketball budget was $4,306,041 in 2015-16, and by all indications they're spending more. Loyola is in the same conference with them in men's volleyball, where they're trying to buy their way to legitimacy.

By the way, any time you want, you can check out how much money Grand Canyon has lying around to destroy your athletics department:

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=Na ... jAHh6anQCA

Today their market cap is $4.35 billion.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 27th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:New Mexico State plus travel partner might be the one move that makes me back off of Murray State.

As long as that travel partner isn't Grand Canyon. Whichever conference gets them after the WAC breaks up is going to deeply regret that affiliation. Their men's basketball budget was $4,306,041 in 2015-16, and by all indications they're spending more. Loyola is in the same conference with them in men's volleyball, where they're trying to buy their way to legitimacy.

By the way, any time you want, you can check out how much money Grand Canyon has lying around to destroy your athletics department:

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=Na ... jAHh6anQCA

Today their market cap is $4.35 billion.

And, they're doing a great job and they're going to succeed.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 27th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Elgin said the goal is at-large bids right? We honestly might just have a suck it up and take the NMSU\GCU combo. I think we should be thinking really big with expansion and even considering 14 and 16 team models. There are many very good potential additions and I want them all. Make this a smaller schools'version of the pre- 2013 split Big East.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball