If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 27th, 2017, 10:17 pm

What concerns you about NKU? Is it the lack of a longstanding D1 track record? Because other than that it seems like they check all the boxes and are the best addition that isn't likely to turn the MVC down unless Belmont and\or SLU comes to their senses. Can you explain why the Summit\MVFC agreement makes it less likely NDSU and SDSU would join the MVC? I would have thought the exact opposite.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 27th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Belmont loses to Lipscomb. Another loss like that and they'll struggle to get an at-large. This might just be a season that finally wakes them up and realize that the MVC is the only way forward for them as a program.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 29th, 2017, 3:39 am

Some food for thought vis a vis MVC expansion:

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/11 ... -mike-daum

I get that Western Michigan is a solid team and one of the favorites in the MAC but they're an A10 team playing at home. This isn't SLU's first questionable loss (they also lost to Detroit). It may be time to seriously question just how much they would really add to the conference. They've got the resources to be sure but those resources aren't translating into wins, even at home. That is very troubling. Meanwhile, South Dakota State just took down their second P5 school this year and are 7-2. Both Dakota schools look really solid this year and appear to be the kind of programs the MVC needs.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 29th, 2017, 9:18 am

I've said from day 1 St Louis isn't who we want. Their outlook is bleak.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » November 29th, 2017, 10:53 am

SLU is playing with a very limited roster because of an ongoing investigation. They have a top 50 kid signed for next year to go with a similar freshman this year, and will continue to mine the STL market as long as Ford is there. Tell me another school even close to having their fairly recent history of NCAA teams, attendance numbers, and tv market we could get. Once Ford has that program rebuilt [probably mid next year] they make everyone else we are discussing look like , well what they are, not in the same ball park. You can't look at just today, you have to look at history/potential. But honestly, I don't see SLU settling unless the movement of teams from the A-10 and AAC leaves them with no choice.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » November 29th, 2017, 4:30 pm

The only value St Louis University adds to the MVC is money because of all the fans they'd bring to Arch Madness. But I doubt they will come knocking on our door anytime soon if ever.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm

mvfcfan wrote:The only value St Louis University adds to the MVC is money because of all the fans they'd bring to Arch Madness. But I doubt they will come knocking on our door anytime soon if ever.

You guys need to do your research; they've been in more MBB NCAA Tourneys in the last 25 years than any current Valley member [same #as UNI] and more total NCAA and NIT appearances than any current Valley member. They've had years when in the Scott trade where they averaged over 16,000 attendance. They would be no less than a top 3 -4 program in the Valley most years under Ford, be in the top 2-3 attendance and have a significantly more prestigious imprint than anyone else we are considering.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » November 29th, 2017, 4:41 pm

I mentioned this not long ago.

They had a real nice run from 11/12-13-/14 but since then they are 11-21 11-21 12-21 and now 3-3.
They were 12-19 in 10/11
They had 1 20+ win season between 1994 and when Majerus got there.

Outside of the Hickey years in the 50s and the 3 year run a handful of years back they have 4 NCAA tournaments all time.

I can see the value that SLU could have, but man there is a ton not to like about them.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » November 29th, 2017, 8:53 pm

uniftw wrote:I mentioned this not long ago.

They had a real nice run from 11/12-13-/14 but since then they are 11-21 11-21 12-21 and now 3-3.
They were 12-19 in 10/11
They had 1 20+ win season between 1994 and when Majerus got there.

Outside of the Hickey years in the 50s and the 3 year run a handful of years back they have 4 NCAA tournaments all time.

I can see the value that SLU could have, but man there is a ton not to like about them.

SLU is far and away the best option if it were ever on the table. Their spotty past performance is far outweighed by the school's investment in their basketball program, which is a better indicator of where they'll likely be in a few years anyways. I've been to some games at Chaifetz Arena and it is a great atmosphere with strong fan support that would rival any MVC school, even when they were terrible.

All of this means nothing, of course, since SLU would rather die waiting in the Big East queue than tuck in their tails and join the lowly Valley.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » November 29th, 2017, 10:35 pm

The MVC would be insane not to accept SLU. You people are crazy. Yeah their only good recent years were under Majerus, but does Majerus come to NDSU or SDSU? Of course not. And if he does, he jumps ship as soon as a Horizon or better offer comes along.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball