If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby RacerJoeD » November 30th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Murray St. has 12
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby oklahomacrusader » November 30th, 2017, 1:34 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Murray St. has 12

sureley Bearz77 will respond Also, not demeaning Valpo's (Murray St.) accomplishments, but SLU made those appearances while competing in much higher level leagues while Valpo's (Murray St.) was entirely done in the Horizon (Ohio Valley Conference).

I think the OVC actually ranked behind the Horizon the last 10 years.
oklahomacrusader
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby RacerJoeD » November 30th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Yeah I'm done apologizing for the OVC (part of the reason I personally am ready to move on from the OVC), but in that last ten years, Murray State has won games in the NCAA tournament (not play in games), made an NIT QF, been ranked in the Top ten in the AP and Coaches Poll and had an NBA lottery pick. SLU has 3 NCAA wins, but hasn't had an NBA draft pick since 1998, and in their three NIT appearances since 1990, has only won one game.

Don't get me wrong, SLU is a good program and has an incredible history. I just don't like to see other good programs dismissed out of hand, especially since we are talking about programs, irrespective of their conference affiliations.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 30th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I wasn't referring to Murray State as I was already assuming them as having an offer in hand as number 11 since the topic was who should be #12. Guess it's not a done deal, but that was my assumption. For me Murray has always been a no brainer at #11.

As far as the comment about level of play between the Horizon and some of SLU's conferences, I simply speak by experience. When the Bears were in the Mid Con, they made 6 straight Tourney appearances between 86 and 92, an NIT in 86, 4 straight NCAA's then an NIT in 91, followed by an NCAA in their 1st year in the Valley in 92. We've made one NCAA] since; Evansville was similar with NCAA appearances in 89,92, 93, from a lower level league, but I think only twice since joining the Valley. IMHO Missouri State has had at least 4 other teams since that if playing in a league like the Horizon would have been NCAA Tourney teams. We've had 3 teams with RPI's below 40 not make it. So that's all I'm saying about SLU is that they have been in the tournament more than most of current Valley teams and more than any of the others on this list[ sans Murray] despite generally playing against superior competition. That suggests they would do well here.
I just think a lot of people see their poor 3 year record and overlook things like their budget, their facilities, their attendance potential, the natural rivalries,as well as their historical success when they talk about schools on this list being superior options. Again not Murray State included.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » November 30th, 2017, 5:34 pm

That’s my fault Bearz77, I interjected Murray St into the convo about SLU and took you guys off topic . I understood your point and think there is something to it.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 30th, 2017, 5:47 pm

No problem, we all have pride in our Universities and their accomplishments and should be quick to defend any slight. I'm not a SLU honk, but will admit I grew up in the STL area and my introduction to the Valley was thru the Billikens in the 1960's. I was 1st an MU fan and 2nd a SLU fan until I attended MSU in the early 70's.I returned to STL to live and work from 77-91, until returning to Springfield in 92, so again followed the Billikens pretty close during that period. They are a Missouri school, a program I've followed casually most of my life, so I think I have a good sense of what they could bring to the MVC.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 30th, 2017, 6:29 pm

If we could add Murray State and SLU it sure would help bring the Valley back to being the far and away premier mid major conference.

Probably won't happen though. Hopefully we add Murray next year and find another decent addition. I'm just not sure who that would be?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 1st, 2017, 12:44 am

I do think SLU has a great deal of potential as a program, but I believe that a major thing that has held them back throughout their recent history is their lack of concern for travel costs. Moving back to the Valley would allow them to repurpose those funds toward things that would have a more direct impact on the success of the program. They may not see it yet but I firmly believe that their path to the Big East is through the Valley, not the Atlantic 10. I just think that for all the resources at their disposal, they should be more successul. Take away the Majerus era (and the few years where the roster was heavily influenced by players Majerus recruited) and the program hasn't been to the tournament since 2000, despite membership in consistent multi-bid leagues like the old C-USA and the A10. That said the best options outside of them are quite limited. I only see Belmont and NKU as worth pursuing right now if we're dead-set on 12 teams and adding Murray State as one of them. (and I reiterate: this is the path we SHOULD be taking Murray State SHOULD be a member of the MVC and CAN help us rebuild our status as a multi-bid league. Any other possible addition needs to get its act together and demonstrate consistent success first.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » December 1st, 2017, 8:01 am

SLU definitely should reconsider joining the MVC if their long term goal is joining the BE. The BE has poached the MVC before. They could save on travel costs. They could play a conference tournament in their hometown, build a semi home court advantage in Arch Madness and steal some NCAA bids they wouldn't otherwise get. And oh yeah the MVC is rated higher than the A10 so far this year at least. Seems silly to keep flying out to St. Joe's and Duquesne for east coast exposure.

Schools like NDSU and SDSU might get lucky with hires but resources like SLU has allow them to make their own luck with known quantities like Majerus and Ford. Outside of those two (jury's out on Ford so far but he's recruiting well) their luck has been bad but long term they're such a better bet than the Dakotas who bargain bin shop. And BTW ISU's best player this year happens to be a SLU castoff.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » December 1st, 2017, 8:11 am

Murray St has gotten to see Travis Ford coach many times (he was a coach at EKU in our conference). He is pretty good, but not elite. Certainly capable at SLUs level as he recruits well. My only question is that he is a Pitino acolyte and very few of them have had long term success.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball