If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 10th, 2017, 1:37 pm

AndShock wrote:In 5-10 years, Valley fans will be arguing over whether Grand Canyon should have been added. Maybe adding a geographical outlier, high-spending, future Wichita State isn't the right move for the Valley. Maybe the travel wouldn't be feasible and it simply isn't possible financially to have Grand Canyon in the conference. But when Grand Canyon is making the NCAA tournament every year, racking up millions of dollars in NCAA tournament shares, making a run to the Final Four, etc. There will be a back-and-forth about if the Valley made a mistake. But like I said, I don't know if the Valley is making a mistake or if it just isn't possible. I'm more confident in Grand Canyon becoming a power than I was Wichita State in 2008 or 2009. Follow the $$$$

Agree 100%. I would bet my house of grand canyon becoming a power. It's so abundantly clear they are going to be a perineal top 25 team. They are getting left out because they are a for profit school. I don't see why that really matters when you're trying to better yourself. Get the best. Simple as that. I don't want to see those conversations about the Valley making a mistake but I will be the first to post it because the Valley will make this mistake. Across several different sports the increase in travel would be around $75,000 per school. If you can't pay that then you probably should just move down to DII. Plus, that money will be recouped when Grand Canyon is making the tournament every year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CoolArrow » August 10th, 2017, 1:46 pm

The interest has to be mutual. I don't believe either side has sincerely expressed their complete and full interest and commitment to this type of expansion. NMSU and GCU are happy being in a one-bid league, why would they go to another one-bid league with historically stronger programs? Adding NMSU/GCU wouldnt make the MVC a 2-3 bid league. I cant predict the future with 100% certainty but It is very likely the WAC and the MVC will each have zero at-large teams the next 10 years. NMSU and GCU are positioned to dominate the WAC the next decade, only way they jump ship is if the WAC is in danger of extinction. Both teams have to keep their options open, so for that reason I believe they have been cordial with the MVC. They would each prefer to land in other conferences out west, GCU in the WCC and NMSU in CUSA or MW. If the WAC is stabilized and CSUB, UVU continue improving their bkb programs, jumping to the MVC now would be a huge mistake for either team.
CoolArrow
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby MOST » August 10th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Sorry for upsetting a poster or 2. But that's life!

First I am not promoting the Dakotas or the Summit. Nor am I a MIZZOU, a UMKC, or a Nebraska Omaha hack. I grew up in Springfield, a SMS BB fan, attended SMS for a couple of years in the mid 80s, dropped out to work, eventually graduated after getting hours at several ND/SD schools. Would like to be a BEAR fan but way to many Asses on the MO State BEAR NATION Forum. Lots of folks on that forum are lost in a time warp.

A recent example of the blah, blah on this forum is a very high volume MVC poster is opposed to inviting ORU to the MVC because ORU protestant tenets violate his protestant tenets. Come on! This is a college sports forum. And is both a BB and a FB forum. FB is a part of every discussion.

As I said this thread is excessively repetitive. Same folks saying over and over the same thing. Some posters and comments are so inane they border on ridiculous.

Some dude(s) want to shotgun the expansion candidates. They keep wanting to add Grand Canyon, Northern AZ, and NMSU. All 3 are miles out of the MVC geo footprint. If you accept that IL State at Normal is the approximate geo center of the MVC, GCU @ Phoenix is 1350 air miles away, Northern AZ @ Flagstaff is 1280 air miles, and NMSU (@ Las Cruces) is 1135 air miles. And someone keeps wanting to add UTSA or SFA, both a mere 930 air miles from Normal. For another perspective, the MVC school bus conference perspective, Springfield and MO State, the far southwest border of the MVC footprint, road mileage to Phoenix is 1200 miles, to Flagstaff is 1100 miles, to Las Cruces is 975 miles, and to San Antonio a short 750 road miles.

Plus, I don't think GCU plays football, Northern AZ plays FCS football in the Big Sky Conference, NMSU plays FBS football in the Sun Belt, and UTSA plays FBS in CUSA.

If MVC or the Summit want to do far reaching pillaging, the northern schools of the Big Sky may be more realistic expansion candidates. They could look at Montana State at Bozman, Montana U at Mizzoula, or Northern Colorado at Greely. Not quite as far away as New Mexico, Arizona or south Texas
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » August 10th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Agree 100%. I would bet my house of grand canyon becoming a power. It's so abundantly clear they are going to be a perineal top 25 team. They are getting left out because they are a for profit school. I don't see why that really matters when you're trying to better yourself. Get the best. Simple as that. I don't want to see those conversations about the Valley making a mistake but I will be the first to post it because the Valley will make this mistake. Across several different sports the increase in travel would be around $75,000 per school. If you can't pay that then you probably should just move down to DII. Plus, that money will be recouped when Grand Canyon is making the tournament every year.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with GCU in the next few years; I just have my doubts they can consistently get a schedule that will allow them to make a major move. They have 3 nice games this year, but they're roadies and their home schedule is terrible:
Florida AM
Robert Morris
UALR
Norfolk St
UC Riverside
NC Central
Grambling
Mississippi Valley
Longview
San Diego
Morgan St

They get St Johns in a neutral, and then add a pretty pedestrian WAC schedule. They had an RPI of 131 last year. They should win a lot of games in that schedule this year, but unless they upset Illinois or Louisville on the road, that's not a schedule to get an at large with. But maybe they're good enough to get an upset in one of the roadies.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » August 10th, 2017, 5:56 pm

So "MOST", as a Missouri State fan are you for or against adding Oral Roberts to the league? I'm an Indiana State fan, but it's my opinion that if we add Murray State as a #11 that ORU is the best #12 option.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rally » August 10th, 2017, 6:43 pm

If GCU comes anywhere close to these predictions, it's only a matter of time before the Mountain West adds them as the 12th team for non-football sports.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 10th, 2017, 6:52 pm

rally wrote:If GCU comes anywhere close to these predictions, it's only a matter of time before the Mountain West adds them as the 12th team for non-football sports.

That's why it's important to get them now. The mvc and MWC are very close in RPI rankings. Adding gcu and have them blossom in the mvc will will at the very least keep us the same if not jump them because the rest of the league is getting more competitive too.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » August 10th, 2017, 7:09 pm

That'd make no difference. Grand Canyon would choose either a Gonzaga/St Mary's/BYU/Cali-centric league or UNLV/UNM/SDSU/CSU league (whoever offers first) even if MVC hit the '06 jackpot all over again. There's no scenario the MVC could sway GCU to stay if WCC or MW offered.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » August 10th, 2017, 7:44 pm

I think that the MWC will take New Mexico State at some point in the near future to get them up to 12. New Mexico State will add a rivalry (with UNM) to the MWC and give them a 13th football member. (Hawaii is a FB only member).

I also think it is Grand Canyon's best interests to either stay in the WAC or wait until the WCC comes calling. A move the MVC just doesn't make too much sense for them. I think that GCU and CSU-Bakersfield both have reasonable chances of getting invites to the WCC if they both keep winning.

That's why NMST and GCU don't make much sense. As soon as they get invites to the MWC and to the WCC they'll both be gone. NMST will go MWC as soon as they get the call because of FBS football. GCU would not want to stay MVC when they'd be literally on an island all alone without NMST. With the WCC being a legit basketball conference (Gonzaga, St Mary's, BYU) that makes more sense for GCU in the long run.

Other potential losses for the WAC include UTRGV, who I could see going to the Southland Conference that currently has 13 members. Chicago State might shut down, but then again they could survive. UMKC is probably going to return to the Summit League at some point.

If all of the above happens that leaves Seattle, Cal Baptist, and Utah Valley. Utah Valley could probably get an invite to the Summit League with Denver as their travel partner so that would bring them up to 10 (assuming UMKC rejoins and IPFW leaves). The Big West would probably take Cal Baptist and Seattle. CSU Bakersfield, if they didn't end up in the WCC, would be able to go to the Big West as well.

I think the WAC will fold up shop within the next few years and the Summit League will end up getting some of the leftover teams from that conference.

The big question is what is the MVC going to do in the meantime? There is really only one team that might leave (and I doubt they will) and that is Illinois State if they decide to go the FBS route and go to the MAC. Besides that I don't really see us losing anyone in the near future. It would be nice to go to 12 to give us some cushion and have a conference that is geographically central. When you start getting too expansive you make the conference less stable. That is why I think MuSu and ORU are the best options. NKU might be a good option down the road should they continue their success and say we lose ILST or someone else.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » August 11th, 2017, 10:23 am

NMSU getting into the MWC is about as likely as BYU rejoining, and UNM will lead the charge against them.

Hawaii is on the edge of ending football.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball