If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 1st, 2017, 2:03 pm

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:This photo is from Oral Roberts @ Creighton last December. The ORU player has both arms inked in tattoos.
http://www.readingeagle.com/storyimage/ ... RCRadius=5

What probably happened is some members of Tulsa media had an ax to grind with ORU (politics, treatment of Sutton) and ran with a false rumor.

Then how do you explain ORU's precipitous fall beyond their financial issues? I can't believe a coach like Sutton suddenly forgot how to coach And even if this was all Sutton's fault , don't you find the way his ouster was handled a little unsettling? You just don't do that to longtime employees especially in your school's flagship sport that he helped build up . I'm troubled by it and I'm sure the rest of the MVC is too.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rally » August 1st, 2017, 3:05 pm

mvfcfan wrote:Oral Roberts had 14 consecutive winning seasons from 2002-2015. Yeah their last two seasons haven't been great and they are going to have a new coach and probably be rebuilding for a couple of years, but they definitely have potential to be good in the MVC and to bring the conference up. I'd much rather have a team join the conference that has had a history of winning, rather than bring in a team that finished 4th in the Horizon League their first year of being D1 and got lucky that all the good teams lost in the first round of the HL tournament.

Oral Roberts is the obvious 12th team in my opinion (with Murray State being #11). Murray State has had a winning season 34 of the past 36 seasons, so anyone not wanting them clearly isn't using their head. And before anyone claims that ORU's and Murray State's success was because they played in poor conferences just let me say that 8 of the 10 teams last year in the MVC were Summit and OVC level. None of our schools are where they should be. It's best to bring in schools with winning traditions and actual fanbases that have the potential to bring the league up.

It's about projecting the future. We're not adding these teams today. I don't see either as worth expanding currently. NKU has been trending up. Their new to D1 and the commitment is there. Potential is there, if the results follow, I see them becoming a worthy candidate for expansion.

I just can't say the same about ORU. They have been trending down and there are questions about their commitment to their athletic programs. Nothing jumps off the page to me. They been passed over multiple times and I just don't see that changing.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvfcfan » August 2nd, 2017, 10:04 am

So here's the options on the table I would like the MVC to consider in order of what I would like to see happen and then I'll explain the steps the conference needs to take to make each one happen.

Option 1= Murray State and St Louis
Our conference office is in St Louis, so this shouldn't be difficult. An MVC representative and occasionally Elgin himself needs to walk (or take a taxi) everyday Monday through Friday and go to the Billikens office and try to convince them to come to the league. Make SLU file a restraining order against the MVC if necessary. We don't have to add anyone at all, so let's think big here. There are a lot of pros for SLU to join the league so let's sell them.

Option 2= Murray State plus X (Oral Roberts, Northern Kentucky, UW-Milwaukee)
If we can't find a 12th team that meets our standards then skip to option 3. I think Oral Roberts would be a good add. They give MSU a travel partner and keep the public-private split even at 6-6 and have had previous success. Northern Kentucky has potential, but they are very new to D1 and I think they are a very risky add. Milwaukee could be a good 12. I'm not really sure there are too many good "12" options out there. Oral Roberts is my favorite #12 and it's not even close. I could live with NKU and UWM.

Option 3= North Dakota State and South Dakota State
Yes this isn't a football league, but let's be very serious. The MVC and the MVFC are basically one in the same. They are run out of the same office and the key words here are "Missouri Valley". NDSU since joining the league has won 5 consecutive national championships and they sell out their 18K seat dome every game. SDSU averages around 15K themselves. There is definite support up there for these two schools.

Now let's talk basketball. You have to go back to 2011 to find a team not named NDSU or SDSU that made the NCAA Tournament by winning the Summit League. The Summit League typically gets seeded poorly which makes it extremely difficult to win in the NCAA tournament, but when NDSU was a 12 seed guess what? They upset Oklahoma. Tons of potential in the Dakotas and they are worth looking at.

Option 4= UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay
Not the greatest option out there, but hear me out. Both schools do focus on basketball and both play in nice arenas. They also both play in larger market areas, so they are at least worth looking at. Also gives the MVC a rivalry game. Keep in mind that this is a fourth option and that if we are going to add UWM at all we should probably do it in Option 2.

Option 5= Go to 14, add all 4 Dakota schools
I prefer option 3 to this, but adding all the Dakota schools makes the conference more stable and the MVC would practically own 2 states at that point. It expands our footprint and overall makes our league better. South Dakota just won the Summit League regular season title, and North Dakota just won the Big Sky and made the NCAA tournament. UND and USD also both have a lot of potential. I don't think the privates would ever go for this though. We'd be lucky if they agreed to Option 3.

Option 6= Stay at 10
If none of the above options makes anyone happy, then let's just stay at 10.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 2nd, 2017, 11:16 am

I think we should do a mix. Both dakota state schools and Murray State plus nku.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 2nd, 2017, 11:17 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I think we should do a mix. Both dakota state schools and Murray State plus nku.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many public schools.

Not a horrible idea but will never pass because it's more than 1 public school and it involves 3 schools that play football.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » August 2nd, 2017, 11:17 am

mvfcfan wrote:So here's the options on the table I would like the MVC to consider in order of what I would like to see happen and then I'll explain the steps the conference needs to take to make each one happen.

Option 1= Murray State and St Louis
Our conference office is in St Louis, so this shouldn't be difficult. An MVC representative and occasionally Elgin himself needs to walk (or take a taxi) everyday Monday through Friday and go to the Billikens office and try to convince them to come to the league. Make SLU file a restraining order against the MVC if necessary. We don't have to add anyone at all, so let's think big here. There are a lot of pros for SLU to join the league so let's sell them.

Option 1 has literally zero chance of happening. I sort of tuned out after that.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » August 2nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

Well that's why I included 5 different options (6 if you count do nothing as an option) Red. There are three other schools that I paired with Murray State for that reason and I clearly stated that of the other three Oral Roberts is my favorite #12. I don't live in a fantasy land. I just think we should at the very least make an effort to go after St Louis, especially since our conference's office is there. It doesn't take that much effort to take a 5 minute walk over to SLU's campus and make a pitch. If it doesn't work, then what did we lose?
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 3rd, 2017, 4:05 am

If you're going to list SLU as an option isn't it reasonable to expect that Belmont be listed as well? Both programs seem unlikely for different reasons but you can't list one without the other.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » August 3rd, 2017, 7:10 am

Murray State (assuming they can start winning again) and Belmont, SLU, or Dayton if somehow possible.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am

IllinoisState wrote:Murray State (assuming they can start winning again) and Belmont, SLU, or Dayton if somehow possible.

This. Even though I mentioned before that I am cooling on Belmont, it is still my preference that they somehow come to their senses and join this conference.If,at the same time, SLU decides they're done being the east coast schools' whipping boy, then I think it would be prudent for the Valley to even consider a 14 team model, but only in this case unless some schools start to distinguish themselves and stand out among the rest.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball