If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby glm38 » December 4th, 2017, 7:27 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:It amazes me that anybody at our level places much value or has hopes for significant movement based on conference realignment anymore. I thought yesterday was a defining moment that has been downplayed/overlooked in terms of a statement about the true direction of D-1 major sports. There was much debate about the 4th FBS playoff spot and who it should be, given the three major contestants were all pretty flawed. That Alabama, a team that didn't win it's division, didn't win a conference Championship game, and had no top 15 wins was chosen seems to have been accepted readily. Why this is a portent of the future is that you have an undefeated UCF team that won a top 6 conference title, won a conference championship game and was never in the conversation. They can call all the teams outside the Big 5 whatever they want, but it's clear they're not really D-1 FBS level because they have no way and never will have a way to play for the national Championship no matter what. This year was the perfect chance to see what would happen, and there it was.

I don't think it will be too far in the future when the NCAA does away with automatic qualifiers in basketball so that they no longer have to auto include teams from the lower 20+ conferences to the NCAA Tourney. A few mids might get an invite, but just as we see in football, the club will have exclusivity rules that make it very difficult. They don't really mind the other sports and basically need mids for things like baseball and most women's sports, but in the only two sports where the money is huge, they want it all and will get what they want.

The Big East in basketball and probably a few fringe teams in other conferences, Gonzaga etc, will find ways into the selection process probably by a last realignment move that defines the haves and have nots, but if you aren't someone who is exclusively basketball like Big East schools, Gonzaga, WSU and a few others, you ain't gotta chance. JMO

If that truly happens and the mid and low major schools get squeezed out - that will be a sad day. To me that's a lot of what makes the tournament (big dance) so special is seeing those teams go against and sometimes beat the power schools. How boring if it's all power 5 schools. I think that would be a big mistake. But what do I know?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvfcfan » December 4th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Not that I'm suggesting this, but with a few minutes to go in the game Lipscomb is beating Belmont 67-50. If the MVC is interested in the Nashville area, I wonder if they might be an option. This is the second time (if they hang on) this season Lipscomb has beaten Belmont.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 5th, 2017, 12:36 am

That just means that Lipscomb is ready for a call-up to the OVC. I have to say Belmont's performance this year is worrisome. Lipscomb isn't a god-awful program by any stretch but there's no reason they should ever sweep Belmont. The narrow losses @Washington and @Providence and the victories over MTSU and Vanderbilt are now firmly in the rearview mirror and any goodwill they gave the program is gone. Belmont can no longer dream of an at-large this year and it's not their league's fault. They have a great track record over the years but is it time for us to question Belmont's candidacy\readiness for the MVC? I'm willing to let the season play out before rendering a final decision on this but this is not the greatest look for a candidate looking to move up .
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 5th, 2017, 5:25 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:That just means that Lipscomb is ready for a call-up to the OVC. I have to say Belmont's performance this year is worrisome. Lipscomb isn't a god-awful program by any stretch but there's no reason they should ever sweep Belmont. The narrow losses @Washington and @Providence and the victories over MTSU and Vanderbilt are now firmly in the rearview mirror and any goodwill they gave the program is gone. Belmont can no longer dream of an at-large this year and it's not their league's fault. They have a great track record over the years but is it time for us to question Belmont's candidacy\readiness for the MVC? I'm willing to let the season play out before rendering a final decision on this but this is not the greatest look for a candidate looking to move up .

Don't read too much into crosstown rivalry games. It's basically lipscombs Superbowl. They play up. Belmont is dogging it. They shouldn't but I wouldnt be worried about it.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » December 5th, 2017, 8:48 am

I really worry about what happens to Belmont after Rick Byrd retires. They have the feel of a one coach program. They don't invest a ton but Byrd is really, really good and wins with local talent. Do they fall off a cliff after he retires?
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 5th, 2017, 6:51 pm

There are 3 posts in this thread now about Lipscomb.

If this isn't a sign that the MVC just needs to go to 12 and end this saga, that's the one.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » December 5th, 2017, 7:58 pm

I know it's only halftime right now, but Holy South Dakota State! They are up 50-42 on Wichita State at halftime!

It's on ESPN3 and I'm going to watch it which means SDSU will lose, but I just want to see how good they play against a top 10 (former MVC) team.

I still find it crazy that a lot of you don't like the Dakota schools because they have football. Northern Iowa has football and they are still one of the top teams year after year in the MVC.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » December 5th, 2017, 8:30 pm

11 to go in the game. SDSU hanging on 69-62.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 5th, 2017, 8:39 pm

If push comes to shove, I trust South Dakota St more than North.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » December 5th, 2017, 8:42 pm

2 point game now at the 8 min timeout. Lots of cheap calls on one end of the court and a lot of no calls at the other end. Typical. I remember this kind of stuff when Wichita was in the MVC. Believe me, I don't miss Wichita at all.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball