If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby bbtds » November 17th, 2017, 10:14 am

mvfcfan wrote:With all due respect Milwaukee averaged 1,460 fans per game last season and with those numbers I suspect that in reality there probably weren't 1000 people at most of their games. There might be more people in Milwaukee than cows, but they aren't coming to the games. It also doesn't help when Marquette, a Big East school, is playing basketball across the street.

Milwaukee also has one of the strangest fan give-aways that I ever remember seeing. If a player from the opposing team misses two free throws in a row in the second half the crowd gets free chicken from one of the fast food restaurants in town (can't remember which one). During the Valpo at Milwaukee game which Valpo brings about 200 fans to since Milwaukee has a big German Lutheran community with lots of Valpo alumni, the Valpo players missed the front end of the 2 shot free throws 4 times but each time they hit the back end free throw. Each time the Milwaukee crowd would get very excited about the chance of winning some free chicken and each time the Valpo player would hit the back end free throw the crowd would sit down in dissappointment and the 200 Valpo fans would yell "No Chicken" and cross their arms like a football referee signaling a "no catch." It was quite funny when it happened for the 4th time with only seconds on the clock and it was obvious the Milwaukee fans weren't going to win any free chicken.
bbtds
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » November 17th, 2017, 9:19 pm

I'm warming to the idea of the Dakotas (football implications be damned), but Murray St is such as obvious add at #11, and I can't see adding just one Dakota.

Murray St + random school > the XDSUs. Even if NDSU feels truly untethered to SDSU, it feels like the rest of the Valley doesn't see it that way and would need both for travel/logistics purposes.

It feels like optimal strategy is to wait a year or two and make sure NKU is still tracking well. If not, Milwaukee is there. I just don't see a different path forward out of this.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » November 17th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I might be in the minority on this, but I'm actually starting to think that adding NDSU and SDSU is better for the MVC long term than adding Murray State plus X. I think the Dakota route is probably the way to go and then if anyone else ever leaves we could snatch up Murray State. The only way Murray State plus X is really better is if Belmont or St Louis wants in. Regardless Murray State is a way better back up plan than Milwaukee or Northern KY and the Dakota schools would be solid adds.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 17th, 2017, 10:11 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I might be in the minority on this, but I'm actually starting to think that adding NDSU and SDSU is better for the MVC long term than adding Murray State plus X. I think the Dakota route is probably the way to go and then if anyone else ever leaves we could snatch up Murray State. The only way Murray State plus X is really better is if Belmont or St Louis wants in. Regardless Murray State is a way better back up plan than Milwaukee or Northern KY and the Dakota schools would be solid adds.

Add 4. NDSU, sdsu, Murray State, and nku.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » November 18th, 2017, 6:44 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I might be in the minority on this, but I'm actually starting to think that adding NDSU and SDSU is better for the MVC long term than adding Murray State plus X. I think the Dakota route is probably the way to go and then if anyone else ever leaves we could snatch up Murray State. The only way Murray State plus X is really better is if Belmont or St Louis wants in. Regardless Murray State is a way better back up plan than Milwaukee or Northern KY and the Dakota schools would be solid adds.

14 works in the Atlantic 10 and the CUSA, so I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work in the MVC. Three of the 4 are solid adds from the get go and Northern KY definitely has the potential to be a solid add. If we add three good schools I don't really see a problem with picking a program with risks, but yet has plenty of potential, like NKU.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acepurple84 » November 18th, 2017, 6:49 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Not a bad suggestion if you really think about it.
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » November 18th, 2017, 8:03 am

Most people seem to want NDSU because they beat MSU and have good FCS football.

Sure they beat MSU, but NDSU opened the season with an 85-66 loss to UC Santa Barbara. So, jury's still out there.

Second, there's no correlation between FCS success and basketball success. If anything it's a negative correlation. All of the best midmajor basketball teams DON'T play football, or if they do it's non-scholie. Butler, Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita, St. Mary's, Dayton, Rhode Island, Davidson, VCU, SLU. Makes sense, because they're not spending money on football.

Meanwhile, here's the FCS top 25 poll. A lot of really bad basketball teams.

1 James Madison (26) 650 10-0 1
2 Jacksonville State 618 9-1 2
3 Central Arkansas 572 9-1 3
4 Sam Houston State 558 9-1 4
5 South Dakota State 544 8-2 5
6 North Dakota State 535 9-1 6
T-7 North Carolina A&T 473 10-0 7
T-7 Wofford 473 9-1 8
9 Weber State 397 8-2 12
10 Western Illinois 387 7-3 13
11 Grambling State 385 9-1 11
12 Stony Brook 318 8-2 15
13 Samford 312 7-3 14
14 New Hampshire 307 7-3 16
15 Elon 269 8-2 9
16 South Dakota 257 7-3 10
17 Nicholls 217 8-2 17
18 Southern Utah 213 8-2 19
19 McNeese 199 8-2 18
20 Eastern Washington 138 6-4 21
21 Kennesaw State 136 9-1 23
22 Monmouth 135 9-1 22
23 Northern Arizona 77 7-3 24
24 Furman 73 7-3 NR
25 Illinois State 67 6-4 20

They add nothing to the recruiting footprint, they run their basketball program on the cheap and get coaches poached by Wright State. Not a wise bet for long term success on the hardwood.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » November 18th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Here's the thing you don't seem to understand Mikovio. Most FCS teams play in garbage conferences in basketball, because most FCS programs are very small public schools. Most FCS programs in basketball are considered low majors because they are that small. The Missouri Valley Football Conference is a different level than your typical FCS conference and it has been showing every year in the (FCS) playoffs. A more accurate comparison is comparing the MVC and it's programs to the Mountain West and its programs. Both conferences are made of schools that are actually mid majors and have the ability to support both programs. The Dakota schools without a doubt would be mid majors. They can support both programs and be successful at both. Also most (but not all) MVFC schools could support FBS football, but choose not to. Most FCS programs would never be able to support FBS football. And honestly how much money do you really need to find 8 or so guys that can put a ball through a hole?

Too add to my point there are also a lot of mid major and low major programs that don't have football and are bad at basketball.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » November 19th, 2017, 10:44 am

mvfcfan wrote:Here's the thing you don't seem to understand Mikovio.

Wow.

Most FCS teams play in garbage conferences in basketball, because most FCS programs are very small public schools.

They play in garbage conferences, not just in basketball. Conferences which are peers to the MVFC. Which is why I'm cool on efforts to merge the MVC and MVFC.

Most FCS programs in basketball are considered low majors because they are that small. The Missouri Valley Football Conference is a different level than your typical FCS conference and it has been showing every year in the (FCS) playoffs. A more accurate comparison is comparing the MVC and it's programs to the Mountain West and its programs. Both conferences are made of schools that are actually mid majors and have the ability to support both programs. The Dakota schools without a doubt would be mid majors. They can support both programs and be successful at both. Also most (but not all) MVFC schools could support FBS football, but choose not to. Most FCS programs would never be able to support FBS football.

Sorry but the numbers just don't bear that out.

The MVFC includes schools like MSU and Illinois State, which yes, can support healthy programs in both. But it also has WIU and Youngstown which can't. Now, is NDSU more like MSU and ISU than WIU and Youngstown? In terms of overall revenue, yes, but the problem is all their revenue goes into FCS football. Again, their basketball coaches are getting poached by Horizon and MAC schools.

No, the MWC isn't a peer. The MWC has schools which are generally the biggest in their states and/or major cities, or close to it, and can support healthy programs in both.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

San Diego State had $56 million in revenue in 2016
UNLV $47 million
Boise State $47 million
Fresno State $45 million
New Mexico $43 million
Colorado State $40 million
Wyoming $37 million
Utah State $32 million
Nevada $31 million
San Jose State $31 million

All MVFC schools earn less revenue than all MWC AD's.

Illinois State $27 million
Missouri State $26 million
North Dakota State $25 million
North Dakota $25 million
SIU $23 million
UNI $18 million
South Dakota State $17 million
South Dakota $16 million
Indiana State $15 million
Youngstown $15 million
WIU $13 million

San Diego State can pay a Rocky Long and a Steve Fisher and have $10 million left over, but no MVFC programs have that luxury. My point is that, when you get below a certain point, you need to make a choice-- do we want to put more resources into football or basketball? NDSU is an example of a school which, while earning revenue near the top of the MVC, will starve its basketball to prop up its football.

And honestly how much money do you really need to find 8 or so guys that can put a ball through a hole?

That'd make a great slogan for Chicago State. But in the real world, what you spend on basketball matters. You can hire good coaches, but if you don't pay them, they'll bolt. And yeah, you can hire the assistant and he might keep the train running, but if you don't pay him either he'll bolt. Eventually your luck will run out. See: SIU circa 2000-2010.

Too add to my point there are also a lot of mid major and low major programs that don't have football and are bad at basketball.

Alright, let's break this down. Of the 351 Division I schools,

130 are FBS programs (85 scholarships).
124 are FCS programs
--105 of which offer scholarships (63 scholarships)
--19 of which are non-scholarship (Pioneer and Ivy)
97 are I-AAA (no football)

Now, you've got 109 full-scholarship FCS programs, and 116 schools which are either non-scholie FCS or non-football altogether. About the same number. Yet the best midmajor basketball programs (Butler, Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita, St. Mary's, Dayton, Rhode Island, Davidson, VCU, SLU) are disproportionately NOT full-scholie FCS. If anything, adding a school with a good FCS program is a bad idea because it encourages them to spend more in that sport-- a sport with very limited returns.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby usmcsaluki » November 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Murray State & Belmont are the only two I would vote for
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball