If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 24th, 2017, 12:30 am

Let's be honest: a win like that, coupled with the bowl berth from their football team this year makes them very likely to catch the eye of the MWC if they can handle their business in WAC play this year. I've heard some rumors that the MWC is going to look to expand back toward and into Texas with NMSU UTEP and Rice possibly being considered. GCU fits in as a natural bridge between these schools and the conference's California members. The re-integration of BYU by the MW also appears to be under consideration which could set off moves by Gonzaga which could look to the MW AAC or BE or St Mary's if the MW is seeking multiple basketball only members. The WCC stuff beyond BYU is just speculation by me. St Mary's could very well be what Belmont has been for us: a school too good for its current league that is unable or unwilling to marshal the financial resources to move up while Gonzaga would take a BE or AAC invite and run I think. Furthermore, depending on how aggressive the MWC is to C-USA we could see multiple teams from the Sun Belt poached. This is where we could see the moves start to affect the MVC as the Sun Belt would be looking to teams from the Southland OVC and So-Con as well as maybe the CAA to replenish its ranks. It's all a matter of how much instability this realignment causes in the OVC as to whether or not Belmont would seek a new home. And I haven't even gotten to the potential shakeups in the Horizon Summit A-Sun and NEC. Harry Schroeder of valleyhoopsinsider tweeted this about MVC expansion:https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/944371586148257798 He seems pretty plugged in regarding all things MVC. Wonder what he knows.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 24th, 2017, 2:38 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Let's be honest: a win like that, coupled with the bowl berth from their football team this year makes them very likely to catch the eye of the MWC if they can handle their business in WAC play this year. I've heard some rumors that the MWC is going to look to expand back toward and into Texas with NMSU UTEP and Rice possibly being considered. GCU fits in as a natural bridge between these schools and the conference's California members. The re-integration of BYU by the MW also appears to be under consideration which could set off moves by Gonzaga which could look to the MW AAC or BE or St Mary's if the MW is seeking multiple basketball only members. The WCC stuff beyond BYU is just speculation by me. St Mary's could very well be what Belmont has been for us: a school too good for its current league that is unable or unwilling to marshal the financial resources to move up while Gonzaga would take a BE or AAC invite and run I think. Furthermore, depending on how aggressive the MWC is to C-USA we could see multiple teams from the Sun Belt poached. This is where we could see the moves start to affect the MVC as the Sun Belt would be looking to teams from the Southland OVC and So-Con as well as maybe the CAA to replenish its ranks. It's all a matter of how much instability this realignment causes in the OVC as to whether or not Belmont would seek a new home. And I haven't even gotten to the potential shakeups in the Horizon Summit A-Sun and NEC. Harry Schroeder of valleyhoopsinsider tweeted this about MVC expansion:https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/944371586148257798 He seems pretty plugged in regarding all things MVC. Wonder what he knows.

Lol, nmsu doesnt have a chance for the mwc
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on December 24th, 2017, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jsaluki080 » December 24th, 2017, 7:46 am

I say we only take Murray and stop at 11 for now. We’d have an equal 11 v 11 MVC vs MWC matchup with a guaranteed winner every year.

Anyways have a Merry Christmas everyone
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 24th, 2017, 11:16 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Let's be honest: a win like that, coupled with the bowl berth from their football team this year makes them very likely to catch the eye of the MWC if they can handle their business in WAC play this year. I've heard some rumors that the MWC is going to look to expand back toward and into Texas with NMSU UTEP and Rice possibly being considered. GCU fits in as a natural bridge between these schools and the conference's California members. The re-integration of BYU by the MW also appears to be under consideration which could set off moves by Gonzaga which could look to the MW AAC or BE or St Mary's if the MW is seeking multiple basketball only members. The WCC stuff beyond BYU is just speculation by me. St Mary's could very well be what Belmont has been for us: a school too good for its current league that is unable or unwilling to marshal the financial resources to move up while Gonzaga would take a BE or AAC invite and run I think. Furthermore, depending on how aggressive the MWC is to C-USA we could see multiple teams from the Sun Belt poached. This is where we could see the moves start to affect the MVC as the Sun Belt would be looking to teams from the Southland OVC and So-Con as well as maybe the CAA to replenish its ranks. It's all a matter of how much instability this realignment causes in the OVC as to whether or not Belmont would seek a new home. And I haven't even gotten to the potential shakeups in the Horizon Summit A-Sun and NEC. Harry Schroeder of valleyhoopsinsider tweeted this about MVC expansion:https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/944371586148257798 He seems pretty plugged in regarding all things MVC. Wonder what he knows.

Lol, nmsu doesnt have a chance for the mwc

They've got a better shot at being in the MWC than the MVC. Geography their rivalries and and FBS football There's no way they can be Missouri State's travel partner. Las Cruces, New Mexico is almost 1000 miles from Springfield, Missouri, a school with an administration reportedly reluctant to admit Murray State--a school 5.5 hours away -- by itself for travel reasons. I'm sure they're just all over the NMSU idea. Even with GCU as a partner it doesn't exactly lend itself to stability. This ship sailed when the Valley started really moving east, adding schools like Evansville Loyola and Valpo instead of trying to maintain their presence in Texas\Oklahoma. They needed to lay the necessary infrastructure for NMSU by giving them some semi-close conference mates. They haven't done that and I don't expect them to start with such a violent geographical swing to the West. I would be very surprised if we ever see the Valley expand south of Belmont\Oral Roberts or west of Tulsa.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 24th, 2017, 2:49 pm

I'm pretty convinced that UW Milwaukee will be the 12th team in.

1) They are in a large market.
2) They play in an MVC quality arena.
3) They spend around 3 million per year on BB.
4) Their endowment is 201 Million.
5) Their enrollment is 27,000 plus.
6) They add minimal travel for everyone in the conference.

I'm also pretty convinced that the reason they weren't added last year was because of Murray State's football team. OVC doesn't want their football without their basketball and quite frankly I don't blame them. It was also too late to make a switch. Now the MVFC is at least somewhat prepared for a possible Murray State addition.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 24th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I agree. I just really don't like the dysfunction of that athletic department and their inconsistency. They don't really add a lot to the league from a basketball standpoint and it upsets the public\private balance. If we're pursuing a Horizon League school in a large market then why isn't Northern Kentucky in play?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » December 26th, 2017, 9:49 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:
They've got a better shot at being in the MWC than the MVC. Geography their rivalries and and FBS football There's no way they can be Missouri State's travel partner. Las Cruces, New Mexico is almost 1000 miles from Springfield, Missouri, a school with an administration reportedly reluctant to admit Murray State--a school 5.5 hours away -- by itself for travel reasons. I'm sure they're just all over the NMSU idea. Even with GCU as a partner it doesn't exactly lend itself to stability. This ship sailed when the Valley started really moving east, adding schools like Evansville Loyola and Valpo instead of trying to maintain their presence in Texas\Oklahoma. They needed to lay the necessary infrastructure for NMSU by giving them some semi-close conference mates. They haven't done that and I don't expect them to start with such a violent geographical swing to the West. I would be very surprised if we ever see the Valley expand south of Belmont\Oral Roberts or west of Tulsa.

No. NMSU has zero shot at the MWC. Period. If they were going to be a MWC team they would have already.

Look at their conference history
-Sun Belt football associate only after the WAC collapsed as a football conference between the MWC took the schools they wanted
-WAC
-Big West
-Missouri Valley
-Border Conference

There are about 6 schools in the MWC that will literally block anything/everything related to NMSU and the MWC - starting with UNM.

NMSU has the same MWC chances are Indiana State has with the American Athletic Conference.....zero.

The MWC was formed in 1999 from members of the WAC, Big West and former Border Conference members. Since it was formed 6 full time members - and 1 football associate member - have been added. They have been TCU, Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State and Hawaii (FB). They've added literally anyone that could that would avoid NMSU.

They are more likely to add UTEP, Rice, UTSA, SMU or Houston (both of the last two are holding out for B12).

Heck, North Texas and Texas State are more likely adds than NMSU.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 26th, 2017, 4:14 pm

All of those schools either had stronger athletics brands than NMSU or in the case of SJSU brought in a more valuable media market than Las Cruces. This isn't really the case anymore when you look at other potential additions. I would say that NMSU can compete in terms of brand strength with UTEP and Rice adds much more to travel costs than NMSU while being an arguably weaker ahletic brand though it does have the market. UTSA and North Texas don't have the track records and brands to compete with NMSU and going into Texas doesn't make sense without NMSU either. I believe that it's just a matter of time before NMSU receives MWC consideration.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 26th, 2017, 5:13 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:All of those schools either had stronger athletics brands than NMSU or in the case of SJSU brought in a more valuable media market than Las Cruces. This isn't really the case anymore when you look at other potential additions. I would say that NMSU can compete in terms of brand strength with UTEP and Rice adds much more to travel costs than NMSU while being an arguably weaker ahletic brand though it does have the market. UTSA and North Texas don't have the track records and brands to compete with NMSU and going into Texas doesn't make sense without NMSU either. I believe that it's just a matter of time before NMSU receives MWC consideration.

I agree. They also bring in an immediate rivalry with New Mexico. It also gives all of the "New Mexico" market to the MWC. It's an addition that just makes sense. If the MWC doesn't see that then that's their loss.

NMST also would increase their brand in basketball a lot. The MWC has been struggling to get at large bids lately and New Mexico State just makes that league that much better. Is Utah State and Wyoming really that much better than NMST. That conference looks like it has a bunch of former WAC schools in it already. Makes no sense why New Mexico State wouldn't be considered.

I've heard that the Big Sky (FCS) wants New Mexico State, but NMST doesn't really want them. (Big Sky added Idaho for football, another FBS reject that gave up on finding a FBS home. Note that Idaho was already in the BSKY for all other sports.)

At some point New Mexico State has to make a move though. They can't just stay independent in football forever and I'm sure they don't want to. Back when they were in the Missouri Valley years ago I'm pretty sure we were a hybrid 1A/1AA conference. I'm not sure they would want to move to the MVC without having a home for football and if they did move to the MVC I don't think it would last very long. It would last until some FBS conference offered them a spot for football and all their other sports.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » December 27th, 2017, 8:04 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:All of those schools either had stronger athletics brands than NMSU or in the case of SJSU brought in a more valuable media market than Las Cruces. This isn't really the case anymore when you look at other potential additions. I would say that NMSU can compete in terms of brand strength with UTEP and Rice adds much more to travel costs than NMSU while being an arguably weaker ahletic brand though it does have the market. UTSA and North Texas don't have the track records and brands to compete with NMSU and going into Texas doesn't make sense without NMSU either. I believe that it's just a matter of time before NMSU receives MWC consideration.

You clearly haven't follow realignment when it comes to the MWC.

From May of 2016 looking at expansion possibilities - NMSU was only mentioned once in a very long article - Eastern Washington and NDSU got significantly more play. The only mention was

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/5/6/11610398/what-is-the-perfect-mountain-west

There are no independent teams to add and the Mountain West has already said no to New Mexico State to join

From the MWC comissioner in Sept 2016...and the only mention of NMSU in this entire article
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=4311746&itype=CMSID
Thompson noted there are 26 Football Bowl Subdivision teams located west of Denver. Twelve play in the Pac 12, and 12 more play in the Mountain West. The other two are BYU and New Mexico State.

"If we're expanding," Thompson said, "we're going east."
NMSU isn't east.

UTEP ESPN radio partner on rumors of UTEP joining the MWC...not a single NMSU mention
http://krod.com/rumors-flying-that-utep ... onference/

247 message board topic on NMSU and the MWC...
https://247sports.com/college/new-mexic ... t-71515870
UTEP sucks. No new implications for us. We are broke (same). UTEP and UNMintentionally screws us every chance they get (same). We are stuck in the Sun Belt / WAC (same). Nothing changes for us.
I don't think NMSU will ever be in the same conference as UNM or UTEP. If UTEP was to go to the MWC then the dominos will tumble affecting CUSA and the Sun Belt and that will impact NMSU.
Expansion is all about Football. No other sport matters. So Simple Question. Please answer. What does NMSU bring to a conference???? A new member would have to bring Fans, TVs and Money!!!! All of which NMSU could and wouldnot bring. It clearly states in the article that a new member would have to bring almost $4 million every year to the conference in revenue. TV is out for NMSU cause New Mexico is considered UNMs when it comes to television footprint. That is a fact. What else do you bring? NMSU is having to mortgage it's life to pay the Sun Belt to be included. FCS is the best place for NMSU. Still can keep basketball D1. Again what would NMSU bring to a conference??????
If the MWC were to add UTEP and Rice, then C-USA would only drop to 12 members; once UAB reinstates football. I don't see C-USA adding any new members. Furthermore, without UTEP to bridge the distance between other C-USA membersthere is no longer a need to add NMSU as UTEP's travel partner if C-USA were to expand. Without UTEP in C-USA, the next closest C-USA school would be UT San Antonio (over 500 miles away). That would leave NMSU with the same logistical problem they are trying to overcome in the Sun Belt to become a full member.

The only way conference expansion might help NMSU is if the Big 12 expands (to 12 members) and along with MWC expansion to create a domino effect that trickles down through the AAC which also effects C-USA such that C-USA drop below 12 members. Then C-USA would be forced to repopulate their ranks by adding Sun Belt schools. Then "maybe" NMSU would have an opportunity to join the Sun Belt as a full member out of necessity. But there would need to be desperation in Benson's eye for that to happen; like when he was desperate to rebuild the WAC by adding NMSU and Idaho after the massive exodus of schools to start up the MWC. If any of the SBC schools lost were Arkansas State and/or Louisiana Lafayette (two schools in favor of adding NMSU), then Benson could look East for school membership again (Eastern Kentucky, James Madison) further distancing the conference footprint from ever adding NMSU as a full member.

MWC message board about Idaho and NMSU. It's an 8 page thread so I won't post all of it...but some highlights
https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... tain-west/

In a word: no.
No
Absolutely not
Only if they replace SJSU
NMSU would only be possibly decent add if SJSU was kicked out or schools left for AAC/P5. Until then...nope
I see a lot of no's above. I'm going with hell no!
Give me UTEP
Tulane and North Texas are better adds than those 2.
This is a dumb thread. No one is adding 2 shitty schools in shitty markets.
Only if we lost Boise, San Diego St, Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico and UNLV and we absolutely, positively had to get back to 8 to avoid going the way of the WAC.
The Only way I see Idaho &/or NMSU added to the MWC is if the MWC loses at minimum 4 schools to P5 conferences.............that would leave the MWC at 8 and adding IU & NMSU wold get the MWC back to 10, and that would pretty much seal the fate of the MWC being a have not forever - At that point the MWC left behinds would just be trying to maintain FBS status and stay one spot ahead of the Big Sky Conference.
NMSU needs for the B12 to fall apart to get an invite. In that scenario, 3-6 MWC teams join the teams left behind when Texas and Oklahoma and a few others go elsewhere.

NMSU:MWC expansion::UMKC/UNO/USD:MVC expansion

The fans want nothing to do with it.
The administrators will say nothing about it, but behind closed doors the reality of their standing is the same as the fan perception. If/when they are brought up it's usually a ploy to generate movement elsewhere in the process.

I get, from a geographic stand point, NMSU makes sense in the MWC. There are only a few dozen schools west of the Mississippi - specifically west of the central time zone. Those that are out there are either very small, even by FCS standards and those that could move FBS (Montana/Montana State) have less than zero interest), or are already PAC12/MWC. However, the political formations of conferences will not allow NMSU into the MWC without significant movement.

Hell, go back 4-5 years ago when NDSU, specifically, was banging the drum of MVC harder than it's ever been done. Hell, look at the excuses to this day. What were/are they told? Geographically it wasn't a massive issue - though we tried to make it one.They don't fit the profile of the conference. They don't add to the existing TV deal, they don't do X or Y.

If you've followed realignment, specifically at the G5 level and with regards to football (which is what is driving this thing for 98% of the realigning being done at anything above a low major level) you wouldn't be making a case as to why NMSU will get into the MWC. If NMSU and Idaho were going to get into the MWC they wouldn't have been Sun Belt affiliates for years and then gotten kicked out with no home.

I'm not shocked, but am at the same time, as to how disconnected those without football - even FCS or scholarship FCS - get in regards to how much football is driving the bus. It's what made WSU finding a new home so difficult. If they were an FCS program with a 25K seat stadium they'd have been in the MWC or AAC years ago. Instead they became an "Oh S" option for the AAC at the thought of losing UCONN and Cinci and bending their own rules regarding football some. It's why the AAC will forever be WSU's home now even when Cinci and UCONN leave and SMU/Houston are on their first train out. Cinci will do anything for the B12, as would Houston. UCONN wants the Big East if they can work football affiliations out. That cofnerence takes a pretty big hit when those three are gone. You think have a conference of WSU, SMU, Temple, UCF, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, USF and ECU. All football schools that aren't entirely going to give an F what the only non-football member wants.

Football drives the bus. Politics is the co-pilot.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball