If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 30th, 2017, 2:52 pm

I said it before and will say it again: if the Big East adds UConn, the accompanying balance move for the western part of that conference is Wichita St.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ptownbraves » December 30th, 2017, 3:13 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:I said it before and will say it again: if the Big East adds UConn, the accompanying balance move for the western part of that conference is Wichita St.

SLU fans would be so heartbroken if that happened. They just might decide to join the MVC.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » December 30th, 2017, 3:18 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:I think the MVFC will be happy to take Murray State to get back to an even 12 with North Dakota expected to join for next season. I don't think getting the Racers into the MVC\MVFC will be any trouble this time around. The question still to be resolved is who will be joining the MVC with you. I think the list is (in order of likely MVC interest):

1. SLU
2. Belmont
3. Milwaukee \NKU
4. NKU\Milwaukee
5. Dakotas
6. Oral Roberts
7.Omaha
8. UIC
9. Wright State
10. UMKC
With nothing below option #5 getting any serious consideration and the 12th very likely to come from the top 4.

This is such a sad yet realistic list :cry:
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 30th, 2017, 3:25 pm

I don't mind the top 5 options much at all. Why is that a sad list?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 30th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Northern Kentucky made 12 D2 NCAA tournaments since 1995. Then they just made the D1 NCAA tournament last season. In '96 and '97 they were the D2 runner ups both years. They have a new arena and I really believe that they have the desire to be really good at basketball for years to come. I think they are a way better option than Milwaukee, Oral Roberts, or UIC. For the record I even think they are a better option than Belmont.

The Dakotas aren't happening. Indiana State and Southern Illinois would not allow them in the league. Bot schools added the Dakotas in the MVFC under the condition that they only had to make one trip a year up there. Men's basketball wouldn't be bad to send up there, but do we really want to send volleyball, WBB, baseball, etc up there. I doubt it. Same goes for the NMST and GCU idea. No way either of those happen. Belmont and St Louis aren't happening either. Neither school is interested so why keep trying. I want schools in the league that actually want to be here.

The MVC needs to add schools that are in the region so we can have good rivalries that will last for decades and where every game is within decent enough driving range for the fans to really get into the league. I think long term this is what is best for the league.

Also with adding Murray State it ensures that the football playing schools have enough teams (need 6) to get an AQ to the FCS playoffs if the Dakota schools, WIU, and YSU all left. For the record I don't see any (and definitely not all) of those teams going anywhere anytime soon.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 30th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Just curious: why NKU over Belmont? Overall athletics commitment? Greater potential?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 30th, 2017, 4:25 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Just curious: why NKU over Belmont? Overall athletics commitment? Greater potential?

Lack of fan support is the biggest one for me. Their arena only seats 5000 and they only got 2400 on average last season. When their team isn't good one has to wonder how low their attendance will drop. I also don't like that they are in a city where they are second rate to Vanderbilt and maybe even Tennessee State. TSU averages more than Belmont (TSU had 2600 last season) and they have not had the success Belmont has had. Their arena is only okay as well.

One could argue that Northern Kentucky is second rate to Cincinnati and Xavier, but at least they are not technically in the city of Cincinnati and they are in a different state as well. Northern Kentucky also plays in a newer arena that is definitely MVC quality. I think they have a lot more overall potential (to have a growing fanbase and sustain success if/when their coach leaves) than what Belmont has.

This also leads into why I'm not very high on Milwaukee. They are second rate to Marquette and what's worse is that they play across the street from where Marquette plays. So I really hope we pass on them, although I fear that is who we will add.

Oral Roberts' fanbase has completely disappeared, so I don't want them. They couldn't even bring a crowd to their cross town rivalry game against Tulsa that I attended. UIC is the same deal. Sometimes I hear UMKC brought up, but they have talked about dropping out of D1, so I'm not sure what the appeal is there.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 30th, 2017, 4:59 pm

NKU is definitely growing and would continue to grow in the MVC. I think they'd get 4000+ in there easily for conference games. Maybe more . Their commitment to athletics appears to be very strong.

As for Belmont, I still feel like part of the reason Belmont doesn't draw is because the OVC with a couple of exceptions is a terrible basketball league but maybe I'm wrong and their fanbase is indeed weak.

I'm a bit more bullish on Milwaukee than most are (with caveats) if they start showing positive progress on the court (they have ) Improve their leadership situation (they haven't and that is what has taken most of the fans away in my estimation) and joined the MVC their attendance would shoot way up and they would have real potential to be a very strong addition. If not for the rise of Butler, it is very possible that Milwaukee would have left a much stronger and more lasting mark on college basketball during their heyday. They look to be on the way up. I say give them a few years and if we ever consider a move to 14 they would be near the top of the pool of schools we should consider, especially if the top private school options have moved on or fallen off.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » January 2nd, 2018, 1:33 pm

The BELMONT fan base is small when compared to Murray or even Evansville.I have been to games at all three and the Bruins can not compare.Their student section is loyal and rabid--but only about 400 or less.The NKU arena is amazing,however I won't comment on their attendance(not been there in a few years).Nashville has so much competition for sports attendance it is very tough and being a private school most locals have never been or know anyone who has been to their games.

My opinion.Add the Racers and put the last spot "up for bid" to whoever shows the most commitment to basketball.Make that last spot attractive as a "last seat on the bus-now leaving" situation.You may be able to flush out a better candidate or get a stronger investment from someone already on the list.
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 2nd, 2018, 8:43 pm

I think NKU would win any sort of competition like that. They've had to invest quite heavily to get where they are and it appears that their commitment remains strong. I've read that 3000-3500 isn't uncommon for them and I would imagine that the number would go up with MVC competition coming in night in night out and the scheduling bump they would receive in the nonconference.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball