If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby All-MVC Fan » December 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
He's a bit above average, think he made the NCAA 5 out of 8 years at OSU. But if he pulls a top 5[ IN STL] player out of STL yearly[ which he's done for 2017 and 2018] gets a couple other upper tier STL kids to complement, his roster will always be upper level in the Valley and his resources as well. But like I said, who knows if the Admin. at SLU gets off their high horse and comes to their senses. Probably not unless as we've discussed other A-10 teams move and another option like the AAC or Big East is not there for SLU.

Wasn't it the previous president who was dead set against the MVC? I thought I read somewhere he was gone. Could be an opening there, right? I'd like to have SLU...makes a lot of sense as a member...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 1st, 2017, 6:10 pm

Since superconferences seem to be the future is there any appetite on the part of the MVC for going beyond 12 teams and embracing a 14 or 16 team model if the right mix of schools could be found? Like let's say if SLU and Belmont both said yes and we had two willing public schools for balance and travel partners (Murray State and Northern Kentucky) would that be something the Valley would pursue? If that scenario did unfold would there be any appetite for further expansion such as adding the Dakotas or NMSU\GCU?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Since superconferences seem to be the future is there any appetite on the part of the MVC for going beyond 12 teams and embracing a 14 or 16 team model if the right mix of schools could be found? Like let's say if SLU and Belmont both said yes and we had two willing public schools for balance and travel partners (Murray State and Northern Kentucky) would that be something the Valley would pursue? If that scenario did unfold would there be any appetite for further expansion such as adding the Dakotas or NMSU\GCU?

This is a big yes. I want all 8. Best teams going into season will play other best teams. But, I can't see mvc going past 12
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 1st, 2017, 9:01 pm

Superconferences work when the media deals you sign as part of it expand the coverage of your conference.

The MVC will have no such media considerations.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

St. Louis; Missouri State
New Mexico State; Grand Canyon
North Dakota State; South Dakota State
Bradley; Illinois State
Valparaiso; Loyola Chicago
Northern Iowa; Drake
Southern Illinois; Evansville
Murray State; Belmont
Indiana State; Northern Kentucky

Everyone has a travel partner. Play each other once (17 games), play your travel partner twice (1 more game), the final two games with be versus the most like opponents in RPI (best play best). 20 total conference games. Also 11 football teams in that group of 11. But, one is FBS and two others are non-scholarship. Still 8 legit FCS teams. The MVC could put football under the same umbrella and sponsor football and do away with affiliated teams like WIU, YSU, etc. Maybe they could convince NMSU to drop down to FCS or convince Drake or Valpo to go to scholarship football.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » December 2nd, 2017, 11:30 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I wasn't referring to Murray State as I was already assuming them as having an offer in hand as number 11 since the topic was who should be #12. Guess it's not a done deal, but that was my assumption. For me Murray has always been a no brainer at #11.

As far as the comment about level of play between the Horizon and some of SLU's conferences, I simply speak by experience. When the Bears were in the Mid Con, they made 6 straight Tourney appearances between 86 and 92, an NIT in 86, 4 straight NCAA's then an NIT in 91, followed by an NCAA in their 1st year in the Valley in 92. We've made one NCAA] since; Evansville was similar with NCAA appearances in 89,92, 93, from a lower level league, but I think only twice since joining the Valley. IMHO Missouri State has had at least 4 other teams since that if playing in a league like the Horizon would have been NCAA Tourney teams. We've had 3 teams with RPI's below 40 not make it. So that's all I'm saying about SLU is that they have been in the tournament more than most of current Valley teams and more than any of the others on this list[ sans Murray] despite generally playing against superior competition. That suggests they would do well here.
I just think a lot of people see their poor 3 year record and overlook things like their budget, their facilities, their attendance potential, the natural rivalries,as well as their historical success when they talk about schools on this list being superior options. Again not Murray State included.

You're spending a lot of time making a case for them based on the 70s 80s and early 90s.

We aren't forgetting that 3 year run. I think we are seeing that 3 year run in the early 10s as the except at SLU.

In the 15 seasons, outside of those 3 seasons, since the turn of the century SLU has zero trips to the NCAA tournament and is under .500 as a program at 218-231.

Outside of those three seasons going all the way back to 1990 they have 5 total 20+ win seasons. 5 20+ win seasons in 25 years.

Talking about SLU is like talking about Drake, Loyola or Evansville. "LOOK AT THE RESOURCES, ARENA AND POTENTIAL THEY HAVE FOR THE MARKET THEY ARE IN! IF THEY GET THE EXACT RIGHT SITUATION THEY COULD RETURN TO THEIR GLORY DAYS OF THE 50S-60s (DRAKE AND LOYOLA) OR 80S (EVANSVILLE AND LOYOLA).

I understand the reasons people would sell them as "the next coming", but holy crap that is actually hard to believe when looking at their last 30 seasons, their actual lack of fans showing up to games, and their administrative inability to do anything.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 2nd, 2017, 12:32 pm

Any more than 14 is too many.

The good news is that Milwaukee and NKU are both 5-2 right now. Since the MVC will most likely go that route it's good to see that both of those schools are having good seasons so far.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » December 2nd, 2017, 3:29 pm

Be careful erasing a program’s 3 best seasons. Yours might be out of ncaa wins too.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » December 2nd, 2017, 6:00 pm

In my opinion, 12 is too many. What is the benefit of adding teams that don't raise the perceived level of the conference? The AAC adding WSU raises the level of the AAC. Adding Northern Kentucky (or insert any other team available) doesn't add name recognition, facilities, history, or anything I can think of.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 2nd, 2017, 6:29 pm

bleach wrote:In my opinion, 12 is too many. What is the benefit of adding teams that don't raise the perceived level of the conference? The AAC adding WSU raises the level of the AAC. Adding Northern Kentucky (or insert any other team available) doesn't add name recognition, facilities, history, or anything I can think of.

I agree. And if we aren't adding teams that raise the level of the Valley and we only get one team in the ncaa tourney then the odds of getting in are decreased for each team you add. And the tournament shares would be smaller too.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball