Dan Muller

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Dan Muller

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 7th, 2017, 8:26 am

In a selfish and a "how does this help ME" mentality world, this is a breath of fresh air from a coach truly growing into his role.

Although, it provides uncertainty for the ISUr basketball coaching staff (Yaklich was the lead assistant and recruiter), I think other coaches will jump at the opportunity to work for him after hearing about this.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/column ... 72ed2.html
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Dan Muller

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dan Muller

Postby valleyclimber » August 7th, 2017, 8:44 am

The action seems foolish on the surface, but I think ISU's Muller is one smart cookie and knows what he's doing.
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » August 7th, 2017, 10:41 am

I simply don't see it as that big a deal. I'm sure there are those coaches who don't, but every coach I've ever talked to at our level says one of their goals is to help their assistants rise up thru the system and get lucrative opportunities. I would have no respect for one who didn't, so while I commend Muller for doing so, I would expect the same from any coach in the Valley. It's what they're supposed to do.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 7th, 2017, 2:14 pm

How many of those head coaches are openly calling other schools offering up their assistants? Hardly any. Yes, they want their assistants to advance, typically as a head coach, not as another assistant. But, even so, I ask again, how many head coaches are openly calling another head coach telling them to take their own assistants away without being solicited first by the hiring head coach??
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » August 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm

With all this coaching talent you'd think Illinois State would have made a tournament this millennium...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » August 7th, 2017, 3:01 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:How many of those head coaches are openly calling other schools offering up their assistants? Hardly any. Yes, they want their assistants to advance, typically as a head coach, not as another assistant. But, even so, I ask again, how many head coaches are openly calling another head coach telling them to take their own assistants away without being solicited first by the hiring head coach??

So you really believe that the story is that out of the blue one day Muller just decides to call and offer up his assistants to another coach? Well, ok I guess.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 7th, 2017, 3:57 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:How many of those head coaches are openly calling other schools offering up their assistants? Hardly any. Yes, they want their assistants to advance, typically as a head coach, not as another assistant. But, even so, I ask again, how many head coaches are openly calling another head coach telling them to take their own assistants away without being solicited first by the hiring head coach??

So you really believe that the story is that out of the blue one day Muller just decides to call and offer up his assistants to another coach? Well, ok I guess.

Quote from Beilein in article (https://www.maizenbrew.com/2017/8/4/160 ... -vacancies)

"First of all, I would like to thank Illinois State head coach Dan Muller for his professionalism throughout this entire search," Beilein said in a statement. "He reached out to us and recommended Luke and had nothing but great things to say about DeAndre. Losing two coaches is never easy, however, Dan encouraged both to pursue these openings with strong interest knowing it would help them reach their personal goals. He was first class in every way throughout the process."

I also listened to the interview this morning on the radio with Dan Muller asking how this happened:

Muller called Beilein out of the blue and left a message telling him he should interview Yaklich and Haynes (Dre) after Yaklich expressed his interest in high major job openings or head coaching positions at their year end meeting together.

Beilein texted him back rather than calling "not interested right now"

Belein calls Muller a week later and said he would now like to talk to them both

The rest is history...

So yes I do believe it.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on August 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm

BCPanther wrote:With all this coaching talent you'd think Illinois State would have made a tournament this millennium...

Well he has only been the coach for 5 years, so millennium is a stretch.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » August 7th, 2017, 5:27 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

Quote from Beilein in article (https://www.maizenbrew.com/2017/8/4/160 ... -vacancies)

"First of all, I would like to thank Illinois State head coach Dan Muller for his professionalism throughout this entire search," Beilein said in a statement. "He reached out to us and recommended Luke and had nothing but great things to say about DeAndre. Losing two coaches is never easy, however, Dan encouraged both to pursue these openings with strong interest knowing it would help them reach their personal goals. He was first class in every way throughout the process."

I also listened to the interview this morning on the radio with Dan Muller asking how this happened:

Muller called Beilein out of the blue and left a message telling him he should interview Yaklich and Haynes (Dre) after Yaklich expressed his interest in high major job openings or head coaching positions at their year end meeting together.

Beilein texted him back rather than calling "not interested right now"

Belein calls Muller a week later and said he would now like to talk to them both

The rest is history...

So yes I do believe it.

I guess we see this very differently because your above note states that Yaklich had already had conversations with Muller at years end about wanting to pursue High major openings. Muller simply acted on his already expressed interest. Again bravo for Muller, but his employee had already made his interest known. The contact with Belein was unsolicited by Belein, but the desire to have his boss help him make a jump had been expressed by Yaklich and Muller complied.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » August 8th, 2017, 4:52 am

Just out of curiousity, did Haynes have any prior connection to Yaklich? I can understand Muller reaching out on behalf of Yaklich for four years of faithful service, but also recommending Haynes is a little baffling when he had only been at IlSU since May. In some ways, I'm not sure if Haynes had even been there long enough for Muller to be able to give a meaningful recommendation.

It is good to see Muller looking after the people working for him though. One of the best bosses I ever worked for tried to lead by the phrase "a leader's first responsibility is to those who follow him." (I believe the quote is originally from John Maxwell)
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball