Early MVC Predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early MVC Predictions

Postby Cdizzle » September 18th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Final games back of Jacobson's teams since last title. (avg=5.1)

#bestcoachintheleague #perennialcontender #butactually2outof7times #Yikes #hatemebutfactsarefacts
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jackwagon » September 18th, 2017, 12:57 pm

jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 18th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:UNI lost their all everything guy (Jeremy Morgan) who led them in all major statistical categories. A coach can only do so much as evidenced by UNI's 9-9 season last year.

So, when the coach is sitting on the bench, not playing, how is UNI suddenly the leading contender to win the MVC this year without Jeremy Morgan?

Seems kind of homer-ish again from another fan base...

I think it is a combination of many things but mostly a critique of the other programs in the Valley and varying degrees of uncertainty with roster and/or coaching ability. Jacobson is certainly not flashy and has shown an ability to mold teams that contend without a bonafide 'superstar' more often than not. Even Tuttle's senior year, when he led the team in so many categories, the team was successful because of the balance of 7-9 other contributors. Same with the 2010 team. That is what this team looks more like this year, combined with what the rest of the league looks like.

Let me try to bring you UNI fans (and other neutrals) down to earth a bit by trying to bring in some logic to the conversation about Northern Iowa...

Here are last year's stats for UNI players:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-panthers

Your #1 player Jeremy Morgan led the team in minutes, points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks per game.

Your #3 player, Jordan Ashton, graduated as well

Your #2 player, Bennett Koch, only averaged 20 minutes per game because of constant foul trouble

Let's all remember you lost your best player in 5 major statistical categories, not to mention, the intangibles of his leadership. But, yes Ben Jacobson will save the day next year...because 2014-2015 is the same as next year??? Uhh no.

Good luck.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » September 18th, 2017, 1:35 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:UNI lost their all everything guy (Jeremy Morgan) who led them in all major statistical categories. A coach can only do so much as evidenced by UNI's 9-9 season last year.

So, when the coach is sitting on the bench, not playing, how is UNI suddenly the leading contender to win the MVC this year without Jeremy Morgan?

Seems kind of homer-ish again from another fan base...

I think it is a combination of many things but mostly a critique of the other programs in the Valley and varying degrees of uncertainty with roster and/or coaching ability. Jacobson is certainly not flashy and has shown an ability to mold teams that contend without a bonafide 'superstar' more often than not. Even Tuttle's senior year, when he led the team in so many categories, the team was successful because of the balance of 7-9 other contributors. Same with the 2010 team. That is what this team looks more like this year, combined with what the rest of the league looks like.

Let me try to bring you UNI fans (and other neutrals) down to earth a bit by trying to bring in some logic to the conversation about Northern Iowa...

Here are last year's stats for UNI players:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-panthers

Your #1 player Jeremy Morgan led the team in minutes, points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks per game.

Your #3 player, Jordan Ashton, graduated as well

Your #2 player, Bennett Koch, only averaged 20 minutes per game because of constant foul trouble

Let's all remember you lost your best player in 5 major statistical categories, not to mention, the intangibles of his leadership. But, yes Ben Jacobson will save the day next year...because 2014-2015 is the same as next year??? Uhh no.

Good luck.

And what does anyone else have that is a stone-cold lock guarantee?

In 2013-14, UNI was 16-15, one game better than they were last year at 15-16. Everyone on here was saying how that was as good as UNI was going to be, no need to worry about them. We know how that next season went. Not saying we are going to win 30 games, but I have a lot more confidence in us winning 20+ than I do in us having a losing record again or even playing on Thursday for the first time in Jake's tenure.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » September 18th, 2017, 2:31 pm

This years gonna be a dogfight. Last season I started a thread about how a lot of arrows are pointing up and I think we'll see who's is truly on the up and up this season. I wouldn't be surprised if no team pulls away from the pack like in previous years; and I really could see any of the top 4 teams winning.

Illinois State- I really want to pick against them given what they've lost, but they've been consistently in the top end, I trust the coach/talent ratio the most. Inexperience could catch up to them though.

Missouri State- By far the most talent, with the player of the year barring injury. Unfortunately it's also the only coach in the league that I've actively been confounded by on a regular basis.

Loyola- Probably the second most talented team in the league by players alone; team should have more depth than in years past. Jackson, Ingram, Richardson, Custer and Townes should make for an exciting starting 5. I don't have an issue with Porter like many on this board; last season we had a lot of bad bounces; all that considered, they should be my favorite, but they need to prove it to me first (and that includes Porter).

Northern Iowa- I think their guards are a year off. Koch is frustrating as hell to watch, but he gets the job done when he's in the game; but it's still hard to lead with a backcourt of underclassman even for Jake. Next year though... could be a force. They'll steal some this year and be in the conversation as always

Southern Illinois- Sleeper team. I like Fletcher a lot; Lloyd looks like he could be a nice player. Replacing O'Brien is key. He killed Loyola in the regular season. Bol is a great defender at the rim.

Valpo- Another sleeper, i know they have a lot of transfers coming in. If they gel, could see them as high as third or fourth.

Bradley- Slight drop off; this is a team that should take a step this season. As of now i say they're a team that's a play in only because of the depth the league has this year, not because they're bad. Thomas and Brown are fun to watch.

Indiana State- Bigger drop off. From my limited scope it seems like something happened to Greg Lansing after the Arch Madness meltdown in 2015. I just don't really trust him as a coach right now. I just don't get the sense players respond to him. I feel like a chance to restart with a different group and he'd be fine... but just seems like something happened.

Drake- I like the new coach. I think he may be able to pull some surprise wins out.

Evansville- I'm sorry Evansville fans. I'm really sorry.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » September 18th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Cdizzle wrote:8,5,1,8,2,7,5.

Final games back of Jacobson's teams since last title. (avg=5.1)

#bestcoachintheleague #perennialcontender #butactually2outof7times #Yikes #hatemebutfactsarefacts

Holy misleading stat, Batman!

Now do it without the two teams that aren't in the league anymore.

8, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 5 (avg-2.29)
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » September 18th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Blers wrote:This years gonna be a dogfight.

I have to laugh at each and every prediction that has been submitted for this thread. Everybody has their opinion. Most are homer-centric, which they should be, seeing no fan could have intimate knowledge of all 10 teams to make these predictions.
As a loyal and informed Evansville fan I have no idea how the team will perform this season. Likewise, I have absolutely no clue how the other 9 teams will perform.
Blers, I think you nailed the dogfight part for the conference this season. But you just mailed in your prediction about Evansville. Why not share your vast knowledge of the team to justify such an uninformed comment instead of your lame attempt of humor.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » September 18th, 2017, 10:21 pm

mule wrote:

I have to laugh at each and every prediction that has been submitted for this thread.

Where's yours?
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mule » September 19th, 2017, 4:23 am

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:
mule wrote:

I have to laugh at each and every prediction that has been submitted for this thread.

Where's yours?

:lol: I should have one by March.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » September 19th, 2017, 11:07 am

mule wrote:

I have to laugh at each and every prediction that has been submitted for this thread. Everybody has their opinion. Most are homer-centric, which they should be, seeing no fan could have intimate knowledge of all 10 teams to make these predictions.
As a loyal and informed Evansville fan I have no idea how the team will perform this season. Likewise, I have absolutely no clue how the other 9 teams will perform.
Blers, I think you nailed the dogfight part for the conference this season. But you just mailed in your prediction about Evansville. Why not share your vast knowledge of the team to justify such an uninformed comment instead of your lame attempt of humor.

Hahaha ouch. Loyola struggled to be halfway for the better part of the last 30 years, and it sucks. Most seasons you went in with low expectations, and were correct. So seeing that the Evansville fans on this thread don't have much positive to offer, I empathize. I base most of my predictions on my own opinions as well as what the home team fans have to say about their team.

I have literally no idea about Evansville at all other than:
-They're listed as having 11 scholarship players.
-There's not a clear heir apparent to Brown
-Dru Smith, good defense, maybe offense?
-Ryan Taylor-scoring potential on any given night, but inconsistent

As well as these two quotes
- this quote from Acecard in the thread: "The Aces may not be as bad we think they will be, and I might win the next Powerball."
- or a quote from you in June when responding to a post asking why everyone was so down on Evansville: "The team lost 54% of the minutes played, 64% of the scoring, and 42% of the 3 point scoring. Also, right now only one player over 6'8" with experience on the roster. Team was expecting big things from Silas Adheke this season. He left the team last week."

Not trying to bash at all, kicking a team when they're down is pointless. I just don't see it for them right now... By all means give your Aces scouting report though, i'd love to hear it!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball