Early MVC Predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early MVC Predictions

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 12th, 2017, 1:22 pm

jackwagon wrote:It will be about the middle of December when Illinois State fans finally realize "uh oh, this group just isn't as talented as we thought it was" Then and only then will you realize what some outsiders see when they have the birds 7th or 8th. They return the least amount of contributors league wide and their best incoming recruit is not eligible.

December, maybe. I'm expecting a period of adjustment just like last season. They'll get it together by conference play. We'll reevaluate on Feb. 1st and I'll throw this back in your face.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » October 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Some beat writers are putting out their predictions. One stands out.

INST beat writer is a buffoon.

Todd Golden- INST Beat Writer- 1- UNI, 2- MSU, 3-LU, 4-SIU, 5-DU, 6-INST, 7-BU, 8-ILST, 9-VU, 10-UE.

I bolded the eye raisers. Although several beat writers have UNI at number 1.

Drake fifth?!?! Drake? I feel like I'm about to go off like Steven A. Smith.

They must be giving UNI a 3 position bump due to Coaching. Last year's UNI team was Morgan and a bunch of people that looked like they would barely make a D2 squad (expect with Koch decided to show up). They lost Morgan and gained no one exciting for this year. I can't see them being better than MSU or Loyola
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Not everyone is sleeping on ISUr. CBS has them, FGCU, and MTSU as heir three possible Cinderella teams come March. So, not all the outsiders think they are going to suck or that the turnover will greatly hurt them.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 12th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Some beat writers are putting out their predictions. One stands out.

INST beat writer is a buffoon.

Todd Golden- INST Beat Writer- 1- UNI, 2- MSU, 3-LU, 4-SIU, 5-DU, 6-INST, 7-BU, 8-ILST, 9-VU, 10-UE.

I bolded the eye raisers. Although several beat writers have UNI at number 1.

Drake fifth?!?! Drake? I feel like I'm about to go off like Steven A. Smith.

They must be giving UNI a 3 position bump due to Coaching. Last year's UNI team was Morgan and a bunch of people that looked like they would barely make a D2 squad (expect with Koch decided to show up). They lost Morgan and gained no one exciting for this year. I can't see them being better than MSU or Loyola

One thing we fully agree on
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » October 12th, 2017, 4:15 pm

I'll be here. Hope you all are this talkative when it goes down hill. Clarence is still in a boot no? That's not good for a true freshman who needs the reps. And no Copeland was your biggest impact player coming in. Yarborough should be a big help, not sold on a returning roster that has 1 proven player.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » October 12th, 2017, 5:09 pm

One thing I’ve learned from watching the MVC for so long is that experience does matter. It’s been rare over the years for a team with mostly new players to make any noise in this league. Our schools aren’t getting the “one and done” players who can win all by themselves. History says that if your team has had a roster’s worth of turnover, you’re not going to have a good season. History isn’t necessarily a good predictor of future performance, but in the MVC, it’s right A LOT more than it’s wrong.

Don’t take it personally. If your team is mostly new players, you’re likely a year away.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Stickboy46 » October 14th, 2017, 9:20 am

jackwagon wrote:I'll be here. Hope you all are this talkative when it goes down hill. Clarence is still in a boot no? That's not good for a true freshman who needs the reps. And no Copeland was your biggest impact player coming in. Yarborough should be a big help, not sold on a returning roster that has 1 proven player.

Is there any potential impact from Yarborough's legal troubles. I think I saw he missed his court date for the theft thing?
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » October 25th, 2017, 3:25 pm

6-5 projected PG starter Marcus Bartley just broke a small bone in his hand and is out 6-8 weeks :( Oh well, McGill and Cook are only 6-2 but will have to cover it till Conference season--too bad
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » October 26th, 2017, 8:41 am

All-MVC Fan wrote:One thing I’ve learned from watching the MVC for so long is that experience does matter. It’s been rare over the years for a team with mostly new players to make any noise in this league. Our schools aren’t getting the “one and done” players who can win all by themselves. History says that if your team has had a roster’s worth of turnover, you’re not going to have a good season. History isn’t necessarily a good predictor of future performance, but in the MVC, it’s right A LOT more than it’s wrong.

Don’t take it personally. If your team is mostly new players, you’re likely a year away.

This is why I'm surprised Bradley was picked 7th. No, I didn't expect them to be picked top three but they have all five starters back and like the top nine guys overall. They lose no one of consequence. Again, I'm not saying they should have been picked 2nd but how often do we see an MVC team with everyone back picked 7th?

I mean, Bradley finished tied for 6th last season and has everyone back yet the preseason poll has them WORSE this season? That makes little sense (at least in how the history of the league and preseason polls have played out).

Let me take it one step further. Bradley and Missouri State finished with the same MVC record last season. Tied for 6th. They split the two head to head matchups. Mo State has four of five starters back (plus Rousseau). Bradley has all five starters back. MSU is picked 1st and Bradley 7th.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » October 26th, 2017, 10:09 am

Unless everybody else has improved drastically, I see Bradley in the top half of the conference.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball